one_two's sketchbook
(09-13-2020, 07:40 AM)wld.89 Wrote: hey man, nice sketchbook ! i agree with the previous comment, really need to improve at drawing ! it'll help you improve at making things more believable, it'll also improve your sense of design that can really be improved ! when designing an outfit or whatever, imagine yourself wearing it ! On the b&w painting of the "orc" warrior, it would be quite impossible for him to move with his armor, the hips are blocked, the shoulders are blocked, the wrists are blocked too and certainly the ankles. You have to be careful about those kind of things ! study a lot about that stuff to understand how it works, how it fits the body, etc ! Keep it up man !
Armor technology depend on the setting and era it was from some armor do have really poor mobility but it can actually add to the story it just depend what your after.You surely wouldn't want to design a armor suit that would go on a thief who want to avoid making noise like an armor wear by heavy cavalry.

So it not necessary a error but it sure will create mobility issue if those design would be use in a movie for example or some design might not be suitable for video design as they would create visual collision that would make the experience less beliable and more glitchy.So how thing move over a figure are still something one as to take in consideration depending on the project.As you progress as and artist you tend to go away from the boxy toward the more organic shape and you start to understand what work and what doesn't but it always a good idea to understand the function of and object to have better design.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
wld.89
thanks for the advice, drawing a lot is definitely gonna work in terms of design and quality, although i don't really separate drawing from painting, i do draw when i paint. Regarding the orc dude and his inability to move, i'm fine with that, it wasn't done for a project or some game setting, just an exploration, but thanks for pointing that out.
ok, some old pen studies this time

more pen studies

Attached Files Image(s)

new sketches/studies from ref and imagination, it's so much harder to draw on a tablet than it is with a pen

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to get better at drawing digitally.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some new studies, trying to focus on planes and values without opacity on, trying to simplify.

Attached Files Image(s)

You're doing a good job with the switch to tablet! Important to master that skill for sure, keep the pen and paper stuff going too!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Looking great! Loving all the figure studies and the variety of work you present, really well done. Keep it going!

Thanks for comments, guys. Here are a few oil portraits that i've done recently. Kinda bored from digital..

Attached Files Image(s)

Those oil portraits look great! Nice work on those!

Bored from digital or discourage by digital?Don't confound the two.When you have struggle you tend to go back to your comfort zone remember that just as a note might not be the case just sharing if that the case.

My Sketchbook
My only criticism is that there aren't more pages to this sketch book, I love your style man! Especially when you get all buzz lightyear with it!
Zorrentos, mieksta thanks, guys!

darktiste it's just painting and fun for me at the moment, I'm not avoiding "comfort zones", not trying to work my ass off to land some job in a studio i might regret later. I just enjoy painting, without much of a "become a better artist" nonsense.

I'll post some oil copies I did while I was studying in the Art Academy. They're old but still..:)

Attached Files Image(s)

cool stuff!

Those mastercopies are amazing! You seem to have a nice attitude of just enjoying art for arts sake! I wish I could feel the same instead of putting myself under tons of pressure all the time xD

Jeso, thanks
Zorrentos, well, i started drawing and painting for fun and since i'm not doing it professionally it's kinda stupid to put myself under pressure of improving endlessly.
so here's some more old oils, the last one is a self-portrait,

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh man your oils are awesome! Your sketchbook is coming along real nice dude - I really like your figure drawings too - the way you follow the contours with your shading really helps to indicate the forms.

Looking forward to more!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Artloader, thanks, man!

UP

Attached Files Image(s)

some sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

There Stiffness in the pose and i think adding an indication of a ground plane would help make your character feel more anchor in space.Are you doing gesture exercise aswell?

My Sketchbook