wld.89's journey
Skeffin : thanks ! I'll check them out ! Been looking at new master academy videos on youtube and some of them has been helpful, will tackle proko's anatomy soon enough i hope ^^ But true my gestures are quite boring and i have difficulties visualizing in space but working towards that ! 

last days stuff, didn't draw much, need to get more paintings done, or else i'll never improve ! Maybe lots of 30 minutes paintings on days i'm working, just to catch main proportions/values/colors, rendering on wrong foundations is a waste of time ! spending more time on paintings during my rest days ! seems like a good plan ! 

Boxes, i see boxes everywhere now, tried to apply the boxes' practice by trying to simplyfy ribcage and pelvis ( from ref) into boxes, catching the actual position in space, not easy actually ! boring stuff from mind, and selfportrait !

Hi the space between top of the hip(End of iliac rest) and the bottom of the ribcage is equal to approximatively 1/2 head not 1 full head like you did that a common error.I hope that was helpful.If you want to track proportion in space you better start to learn about the landmark of the body.Of course there a chance that there strenching if it the case the proportion are even more hard to track but we know the strenching is limited by the range of the spine so it good to use the land mark to estimate the strenching and the twisting.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Darktiste : thanks bro ! i'll have to get those proportions right you're right ! I always avoided studying it because i felt when you start to get into perspective then measuring everything to fit the proportions template would be a pain in the ass and a loss of time if a'd quick sketch, but it's true having at least some of those proportions in head helps you see mistakes more easily ! There's so much to learn and not enough time, but i'll have to make some time for that ! 

morning stuff before going to work, cubes, about 40 minutes selfportrait and some sketches ! i'm really having difficulties with drawing faces from front view, it's hard to show volume at this angle, there's no overlap or anything and i feel it requires more accuracy than front or 3/4th view ! will practice that too !

Good stuff, for your painting, try blending your values together better in some areas like near the cheek and middle of the forehead, will make the transition look smoother.
Nice progress! It's a good thing that you keep in mind not to draw all your faces from the same angle. I made the mistake of getting stuck in the "three quarter view hell" for many years :)

Demon Lizardman : Thanks dude, Yep i'm still learning to better use edges, for me it's really dififcult but i'll try to pay attention next time ! 

Zorrentos : Thanks, yep i'm really trying to get out of my comfort zone and drawing good faces is a hundred miles away so let's keep doing them til it get decent ! 

today's stuff, boxes in the morning, and a painting from imagination to see where i am right now, had a hard time figuring out how to make the bottom plane of the face and the breast ! I need to better apply what i learn when it comes to structure !

Recent stuff, a bit of boxes and some paintings, reminding me that i don't do enough stuff from mind ! The forest is reall messy , don't know how to control different brushes in the same painting without making it look messy ! tried to simplify certain areas but didn't work well .

Here's stuff i did since last update ! 

Finally reached 100 boxes, learned a lot, i'm doing less and less divergent parralel lines, most of the time they are concerging, now i need to train to be more accurate in the converging ! it's crazy how 1 mm off can change everything once you extend the lines ! i also need to train to keep the parralele lines really parralel, and not slightly converging or diverging ! it's something i do badly !

Here's some stuff from photo and a selfportrait from life to improve at drawing , the faces of life drawing models are so off compared to the body ! i notice that i'm not actually bad at verticals and main proportions, but oh boy the horizontals are so off, need to pay extra attention ! But i better understand why everything i draw seems vertically stretched !! 

some painting, first one from photo, the 2nd from mind, just to practice values and see where it fallls short ! 2 main mistakes ; i didn't stick to the light source, and 2, i started rendering the face before figuring out the whole body ! it's a mistake i'm doing all the time, to start rendering before everything is figured out, need to build discipline and not rush to the face but work all the pieces together !

Applying your studies from imagination and then taking notes on where you vent wrong is a great way to solidify the knowledge! Keep doing them! :)

I know others have mentioned this already, but really nice figure drawings! Your line weight and the subtle shading captures the form really well in spite of it being line drawings, and the faces one your figures are beautiful. Also great job with studying things outside of your comfort zone like perspective and color. Once your skills in painting catches up with your drawing I'm sure we will see amazing paintings from you!
I really enjoy your linework! Especially in these arm/hand studies! They look so smooth and at the same time support the lighting so well! It's amazing! 

I also like your choice of colors, the perspective and proportions in your paintings. They are really well done! The only thing small thing that I think can be improved a little are the edges in your paintings. Maybe try out selection of base colors (for each object) and then draw clipping layers to get crisp edges for each object! I am sure your strong linework skills really come in helpful here. :) 

All the best for you and keep up the amazing work! :)
Zorrentos : thanks dude !

Tchanchang : thanks man, so many things to study, i hope i'll have enough time on earth to do everything ^^

Kaiko : thanks dude ! as for your advie about clipping layers, i don't know if it'd fit a more painterly look but i def need to work on my edges, i'll find a way to improve them :)

It's been a while ! i thought about my process and the way i was approaching things and decided it wasn't really a good way, tbh i was stuck in studies and was actually doing stuff from imagination for the sake of it ! It might sounds obvious but i understood that the main thing is stuff from imagination, and every study is there to imrpove the stuff from imagination. If i don't paint from my mind, then my studies have no purpose ! i really wanna focus drawing from mind for now to catch up some level ! something resonated with me in this post from gerbenpasjes :

I really need to learn to focus on the task at hand and not be distracted easily, i really need to focus on the form and visualize crystal clear what i wanna draw. I'm one of those guys that thinks that your drawing will only be as good as what's in your mind and so trying to focus on small chunks of 30 minutes might be helpful to build those skills! from now on i'll do at least one 30 minute painting sketch ( craig mullins advice above that truly makes sense to me ) and one page of sketchbook from mind every single day ! i'll post daily for accountability ! i'll also do one page ( about 5-6 boxes ) of the 250 boxes challenge daily. When i get used to it, i'll add one thing at a time, and i'll build up from that !

So here's today's stuff :

The trap is thinking you need to set your mind on either imagination or study the reality is you need to work on a mixture of study and imaginative work what generally happen is we either fall in one mode or the other.Not really transfering the content of what we learn to imaginative work and therefor inconsciously telling were brain to devalue the information.The brain is really good at obversing in term of symbolism so it not good with spacial memory so what you need to do is to learn to visualize simple geometric form as if they are made out of glass inside your mind eye.The rest is simply being able to pick up point inside those simple geometric form and being able to apply a sculptor mindset to them.Of course this mean practicing drawing basic geometric form to.

What you need is not to have simply a mix of study and imaginative work you need to have a synergy.What do i mean by that i mean that you want to have atleast a few specifically study that are there to improve on your previous imaginative work.Yes this mean boring work like paint over your own imaginative work after having done a few study to correct what you have isolated as a problem or received critism on.One of the major mistake and i am now only becoming aware of it is not addressing a problem when you have it directly in front of you it not a good idea to procrastinate and move on i believe when you have a clear problem facing you but it ok to move on if you don't have the solution even after asking for help sometime it ok to circle back but it would be stupid to move on if something should be addressed of course it a matter of perspection sometime we leak the understanding of why something doesn't look right yet we know it something isn't right.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Just wanted to jump by and say hi actually.
Really digging your more textured approach. Keep it up!

-------------------------------------------------------

SKETCHBOOK // INSTAGRAM // WEBSITE

-------------------------------------------------------
"Losing all hope was freedom."
darktiste : thanks man, really appreciate this advice, i'll try to incorporate to my practice !

mixedmax ; hi man, thanks for stopping by !

today's stuff ! got tired of those clean lines, just trying to get more messy but more risky too, when i get out of my confort zone and make crappy drawings it reminds me how far i am from my goals, not very confortable feelings but that's what i need ! will do better tomorrow ...

I think I remember you from Permanoobs. The subject matter and the self portraits are very familiar, albeit more hair than what I remember, haha.

In any case, glad to see you getting back on track. Same age here, so I get it. Also digging the colour temperature in your paintings. Would love to see how your style ends up developing.
Nice to see you back here again! I really dig the advice from Craig Mullins! I have also fallen into the trap of not producing enough small test paintings to try and see what hues work well, how to make good texture in painting, and such. I think I will try to follow that advice as well once I'm less busy.

I like your February 16th sketch, but I would advise you to try and really THINK before you draw and not just sketch mindlessly. There is a lot of good opportunities here to practice construction, how folds work, how to draw different materials like hair etc. Every one of these sketch pages could be a good opportunity to think and study the subject you are trying to put down on paper.

I'm only saying this, because I remember myself spending a lot of time drawing small, mindless doodles back in the days in order to fill up my sketchbooks as quickly as possible, instead of actually trying to think about what I was drawing. In the end, even if I got some mileage out of it, it was a bit of a waste of time.

Eny : thanks, Yep, posted on permanoobs a while back, now that i remind it, i feel ashamed about the lack of improvment and dedication since then ! gotta catch up some time !

Zorrentos : i totally agree with you man ! Sometimes i find myself trying something new and getting frustrated, easily giving up without trully trying ! i really thought hard on my sketchbook and digital sketch today so thanks !

today's stuff ! tried to dig deeper, thinking and visualize stronger, mentally exhausting but worth it !

today's stuff : pushing those drawings a bit further and seeing a bit of improvment in my spatial perception with this boxes challenge...  :)

I have some suggestions for you that came to mind while I was looking at your latest post. Basically, you should try and consider how the shapes of your figures would look like in 3D. It seems like the shape of the arm would cut into the shape of the torso now on the girl. 

I hope they help! Keep up the good work!  Thumbs_up

Attached Files Image(s)