Taylor's Sketchbook of Patterns and Progress.
Two practice paintings keeping in mind color and light and some self portrait head studies! Oh, poopy wizard speedpaint too.

Gonna do some more quantitative stuff soon...anatomy, proportions, posing, faces, landscape thumbs, etc...Need to ramp up some serious #'s too help with the learning process.

[Image: color_and_light_by_taylor_payton-d65qoyp.jpg]

[Image: 969514_10201036437210886_1059533370_n.jpg]
Oh, and the Needle girl piece is still a WIP.

Attached Files Image(s)

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb

Studies and a 1.5hour speedpaint over my lunch break.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Hey all, long time no update. I'm on break from college for the next 3 weeks and I've been pumping out studies and personal pieces, reading Alla Prima, Color & Light, and I'm going to jump back into Creative Illustration.

I've recently become more empowered in my thinking, and using positivity as a tool to expedite my artistic growth. Simply knowing that if I stay diligent, study, and gain feedback then I will reach a level wherein I can actually start providing service to places that hire us freelancers. I'm getting close <3.

After I'm making steady freelance money or rocking a studio position then I'll start pumping out stuff for my IP! Until that point I'll focus on leveling up and paying the bills.

And without further ado, the cascade! still-lifes, photo studies, speedpaints, and a couple finished pieces

[attachment=25582]:[Image: cerberus_speedie_by_taylor_payton-d66lvve.jpg][Image: still_life_study_by_taylor_payton-d66tq3z.jpg][Image: velenea_by_taylor_payton-d66vc38.jpg][Image: loitering_by_taylor_payton-d67khxd.jpg][Image: you_or_i_by_taylor_payton-d690lth.png][Image: cghub_challenge_undead_warlord_by_taylor...69ilzu.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Hey all you beautiful people.

I've been leafing through some sketchbooks and immensely pleased & inspired by the progress I'm seeing by the daggers posting here. I should de-lurk more than to post in my sketchbook though..

Anyway I was pleased to sit down and crank out these two tone-oriented sketches after reading some insights by Mr.Loomis. Going to read on and paint/draw on.

Gotta push away from fantasy for a bit...but I'm making progress.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Hey Einver, really nice variety of studies and applications. I think you're on the right track to awesome as long as you keep pumping em out. I don't want to assume anything about what you go through, but I also tend to get depressed sometimes so I made myself a playlist of motivational videos on youtube that usually helps me push when I'm not in the mood. But then again, that might not apply to you. Hope you take part in the Daggers summer thing! I'm interested to see what you come up with

(06-25-2013, 02:56 PM)pnate Wrote: Hey Einver, really nice variety of studies and applications. I think you're on the right track to awesome as long as you keep pumping em out. I don't want to assume anything about what you go through, but I also tend to get depressed sometimes so I made myself a playlist of motivational videos on youtube that usually helps me push when I'm not in the mood. But then again, that might not apply to you. Hope you take part in the Daggers summer thing! I'm interested to see what you come up with

Ha, thanks for the kind words. I tend to over-think things and assume the worst at times. Seems very common among artists, no? Pulling our ideas and abilities from the aether must have some sort of intangible tax, hahaha.

Either way I actually did the same thing a while back! made bunch of really inspirational videos and downloaded some audio books on self-betterment. Really does wonders. I wasn't aware of the daggers summer thing, but I'd be glad to hop in if talent like yourself are participating!

-------------------------------------
Here are two new things I churned out between yesterday and today. Started with low-key and high-key values in mind, but broke it in select spots for focal contrast.

Next? Hopping back on the study train for environments, lighting, and stroke economy.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Hey man great work going on in here.

Ya know i think that you are a lot closer to being able to reach your goals than you may realise.

It seems your biggest problems just come from your brushwork and rendering. i think you should just spend more time cleaning up, cimplifying and rendering out planes.

I just spent 5 min with a chalk brush on this latest piece and this is the result. Good planes and edge control can be the difference between a pro and student painting and it pays off paying attention to it.
[Image: 0fJXM.jpg]

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
(06-26-2013, 02:05 AM)OtherMuzz Wrote: Hey man great work going on in here.

Ya know i think that you are a lot closer to being able to reach your goals than you may realise.

It seems your biggest problems just come from your brushwork and rendering. i think you should just spend more time cleaning up, cimplifying and rendering out planes.

I just spent 5 min with a chalk brush on this latest piece and this is the result. Good planes and edge control can be the difference between a pro and student painting and it pays off paying attention to it.
[Image: 0fJXM.jpg]

Haha, prime. Thanks so much for pointing this out! my brush work could definitely step up. I'll make a conscious effort to simplify my planes and ensure that I clarify my forms with precision.

Ren-ren-renderrrrrr. Gonna be a machine. I think I'll start by reading some Alla Prima chapters on rendering and go over planes again via loomis.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Yeah man :D.

I'd actually recommend not looking at books for this and just try and work it out on your own, none of this is information you are lacking, you know this stuff, it's just implementing it in a different way.

It's just simplifying and flattening, and sharpening and softening up forms. The sharpening and softening requires some new techniques, but the flattening you should be able to do right now. Maybe try and copy what i did?

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book

Man, things have been crazy busy with graduating college this quarter!

I've also been going out of my way to learn business. It's tough balancing art, business, and prepping for graduation.

Anyway, here are some things I've been playing w/ in the mean time!

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Some Master studies. I've been painting an alright amount, and now that A huge review is over for me in school I can pick up the pace. I plan on focusing in with more master studies and complementing those with large volumes of drawing to bring it up to speed w/ my painting.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Having just graduated college, I'm prepared to enter the freelance fray as well as spend time feeding the hunger to level my abilities! I've also opened up a site wherein I'm posting art-related articles and video tutorials. Check out www.powerpainters.org if you've got some free time!

Here's some super quick stuff, and some not-so-quick stuff. I'll be dropping more images in tomorrow. [:

BombThe Castle is a WIP.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
That bottom piece on post 25 is sweet, The composition is pretty perfect, the values are there. It kind of looks like he is reaching to some spirit thing, I don't know if that is the case but it still looks awesome.

thanks JJ Aaron! I had a lot of fun with that comp, I may have to use that one as a guide to create a more fleshed out piece in the future.

More things--Spitpaints and speedpaints! bigger and cleaner things coming soon:

Here's a link to the process video for the astronaut piece: http://bit.ly/1aUkkrp

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Oh man, your stuff is awesome! I really like all the environment studies and how you've accented on the creature's head and the rest is sorta blurred. One thing caught my eye - you're using a lot of custom brushes and even though they're cool, maybe you should try painting a little bit more with the default one? Because in some places there's too texture to the pic and it kinda irritates the eye (the guy in the cosmos pic for example). But otherwise looking forward to seeing your future pics!
Hey, thanks for the input RyeBread!

I admit that I can sometimes go overboard with the texture, as I'm still finding ways to apply it without making eyes feel like they're sandy. I'll continue to refine my technique and definitely pull back on it some more. I believe that some limited brush studies/pieces are in order.

For now, here's more things while I work on other things Insane, ecstatic

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Tank study + process, and then a tank from my head. Wisecracker

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Good morning! He's a piece I've been working on to push my environment skills, I also need to just invest more hours into my paintings, so I've been at this for around 6-8 so far.

I believe the study of the statue took my around 4 hours. My goal is to breach 10+ with the pieces I'm updating my portfolio with.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
wow, nice improvement. Its cleary to see the progress on this thread. The secret to success is preserverence too. You gave me motivation, to keep always working, even in bad times. I'm going to subscribe it :)