MF's SB.
Thanks, Pnate. I initially thought about doing 5 heads for the worm (you can see it in the sketch) but I just couldn't find a good way to make it work out within the composition, so I stuck with 3.

Added the figure and worked more on the foreground. Almost done with it, for the most part: just some detailing work/cleanup to do.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thought I'd come check out the swamp creature competition in here ;). So good man. One thing that's jumping out (tiny thing) is your character's hand is getting a bit lost in the grass. Think the yellow light on the floor just means its super close in value to his hand. If you can make that pop out, that'd be a big help. Either darkening the grass and lightening his hand, or vice versa. Oh, or... How about a leather glove. That kinda fits the cowboy aesthetic right?

Just a though, on the whole, looks fantastic man. Really cool seeing your process on this one as well. Keep it coming dude :)

A little more. I'm not sure what else to do it, so I think that means it time to stop...

Attached Files Image(s)

First stop when I got back on here.. now all I want to do is go and paint. Inspiring stuff as always.

Hey dude, your painting was very interesting, i hope you don't mind if i did an OP to explain some stuff ! Well, since i suck at colors, i'll mainly talk about values ( even if i suck ) and composition . Your main mistake is that everything is at the same interest in your painting. you have to put priorities on everything. First : shapes ! The 3 wormshead are about the same size, so i resized them, puted the cow boy smaller so the worm appear bigger and more terrifying ! Concerning your light source, you also have to pute some priorities ! the moonlight was as light as the light from worms. For a matter of storytelling, i decided to darken the moon to viewer get cosued on the worm . Concerning values, don't texture before your values looks convincing, and with this light set up, textures would be really light on the worm. Don't push your contrast too much on the shadow part ( top of worms ) it's really killing the volumes and the overall values pattern of the picture ! you did well on overlapping forms to create depth ! I lighted the cow boy with more logic due to the light source, and trying to play with the story, like that's kinda saying " you can't excape ! " Hope this OP helped, don't hesitate to ask if something isn't clear ! i might also do some mistakes, since i'm still learning :D but i think that was worth doing it !

Attached Files Image(s)

Thumbs Down 
Thanks, guys, and I appreciate the paintover, kikindaface. :)

Random stuff tonight. Random shitty stuff, in fact. Enjoy!...

Attached Files Image(s)

Lovely texture work, really suggests movement and spookiness! I'm gussing those were done with the mixer brush?

Your experiments in trying to replicate a traditional look are really paying off; that first head sketch has a great traditional feel to it. I'm interested to see how far you can push this. Great work as always.

That picture of the swamp thingy looks cool. A little bit about the layout of the pic, I can't really tell the shape the creature takes. Does it continue with a long body like a snake? If so, seeing a little bit more of the body or maybe the tail sticking up would explain a lot more of the design.

Really well done and your very last sketch of the last post looks wicked. I love the traditional look to it.

nothing shitty about these mate, I especially like the values on that middle demon dude. Looks very 3D and yet super simple brush marks. Sweet stuff!

Giant worm cowboy piece came out pretty sweet too man, nicely done!

Thanks, guys!

Figure drawing tonight.

Attached Files Image(s)

screen study and shark-man sketch. I wanted to get to some other studies, but I'm tired and my wrist/arm is starting to really hurt, so I'll do more tomorrow. I wish I could draw with my left hand...

Attached Files Image(s)

Really nice screenshot from dredd ! Keep it up ?

Studies and sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

uhhh that furnace sketch looks tasty man.The cowboy mount can benefit from some sort of fur pattern maybe or add more interest to it, since Im guessing it is the selling point moreso than the rider.Keep up the cool work!

Rindoukan - Thanks, but it was merely a Mattias Snygg study. Check out his stuff, if you don't know of him. http://www.mattiassnygg.com/pictures.htm

Sculpture study painting focusing on edges and values mainly using chalk and mixer brush.

Attached Files Image(s)

sick stuff man! really really good.
I love how you are experimenting with that traditional look, it definitely adds something to your paintings. The only advice i can really give you is to keep killing it!

Hey Frenik, you're really blowing minds with this sketchbook man!

I'm really impressed by how your replicated the traditional look in photoshop, looks like it took a lot of careful experimentation. Those brushes really captured the look! It's definitely not a futile endeavour and it looks like it's really working for you.

Oh and I also really like how you approach design studies, specifically those Carlos Huante studies you did way in the first page. It's like a super focused contemporary master study. I'd like to try doing that sometime. Any thoughts on how/why you did it that way?

So yeah, awesome works! Your creature designs are especially badass, keep up the good stuff!

LongJh - Hey, thanks for that, man! I usually try and study that way, especially when it comes to design. I think studying other artist's work is the best way to get an understanding of how to paint and draw effectively and is why all the best artists have studied the previous artists before them. There's a lot of good information in good drawings/paintings, so use it to your advantage.

EduardoGaray - thanks, Eddy :)

studies and sketches, betches.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ken Barthelemy study. His site for anyone interested in checking out his work. Also playing around with ArtRage. Kinda difficult to control, but it's fun, and I think there's potential in it.

Attached Files Image(s)