Neimeister's Sketchbook
Howdy folks! Finally starting up my sketchbook thread. Gonna be documenting my progress over the coming months with as much studying as my schedule will allow.

It's been a while since I've been active on any forums, so I'm excited to see what happens here; it looks like there's a pretty awesome community already in place that's always pushing each other forwards which is awesome.

So yeah, here's some draws, I'm gonna update this as regularly as I can and look forward to exchanging crits! Cheerio!

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome!

Great start for a SB!
Fun to see you do both traditional and digital. Those are some great lines in your studies!

Keep it up!
So clean :) good job

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
Thanks, folks! Much appreciated. :)

And yeah, SpectreX, I'm trying to do more traditional work. Those studies are actually the first time I've drawn on paper in quite some time, haha. But I think it's a great way to study, I think you learn more careful observation when you don't have the luxury of warping and free-transforming, the only way to fix mistakes is to erase and start over which better ingrains them in your mind.

For today's update, here's a study from a Jessie J music video I did last night, I really dig the lighting and counterchange in this shot. Took about 2 hours total, I think I'm getting a little cleaner and more economic with my brushwork, but that's also working from ref so I'll have to try some stuff from imagination soon and try to keep the same mindset. Draw draw draw...

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey :D Nice to see you made a sketchbook.
Oh god,that spoon. I could grab it from my screen, your studies are crazy. Can't wait to see more :D
Keep up with awesome work and have fun^^

CD dA FM  MaL
Oh wow man, this is really damn amazing :O.

Great work!

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Thanks folks, glad you dig it! :)

Here's a small update with a quick study of the view out the door of our studio. Gonna need to do lots more of this type of study, painting from life is so much better than from photos!

I'll have a more substantial update in the next couple days, got a crazy deadline tomorrow that I gotta crank on. Droar!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice study, Not more than i can add to that haha.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Damn, this is some really lovely work! Everything's so clean and neat. Do you use selections in your work a lot?

hollinrake.art @ gmail.com
Portfolio
deviantART
Sketchbook
OtherMuzz - Thanks muchly! :D

hollinrake- Thanks! And not too often, no; I've been experimenting a little bit more with selections lately, but I only really feel the need to use them when I want an impeccably hard edge. Other than I prefer to just work with the brush tool, cause then being clean forces you to be more thoughtful with your strokes. :)

Here's another batch of studies from the last couple days. I'm gonna go through all my figure drawing books and copy pretty much any relevant drawings as study, starting with the features, then the full head, then the figure part by part. It's gonna take a whiiiile, but I've already learned a ton from these so I think it'll be a worthy effort.

Also a random, "We're leaving in 30 minutes and I have nothing else to do" portrait at the bottom, from ref.

Tata!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man, great studies, it's refreshing to see someone working with pencil, i haven't drawn on paper in ages. What would be those figure drawing books? I recognize a few but not all.

Keep that up!

Killer stuff, love the bridgeman studies and your eyes from imagination are clearly showing the fruits of your labor. The music video study is my favorite i like how it inadvertently makes me squint. Dont know what to critique, i guess try and touch on more areas of study like composition, do some 30m master copies and only use like 4 values if your doing value studies.
Look forward to seeing more :)
Wils - Thanks muchly! Yeah I haven't worked with pencil in forever either, it's nice getting back to it. Hopefully it'll soften up my digital drawing hand and translate in to some nicer line quality. As for the figure drawing books, I'm going through-
Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life
Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Peck
The Human Figure by Vanderpoel
Dynamic Anatomy by Hogarth
The Human Figure by David K. Rubins
The Figure by Walt Reed

Inkling - Thanks! Yeah, I had fun with that music video study. And definitely agree, I'll need to branch out in to some other areas of study here pretty soon, composition is gonna be a big one in the near future. Cheers!

For today's study here's a still life, done in about 8 hours from life. This is probably the most involved and finished painting I've done from life which was a lot of fun, gonna be doing a lot more of this cause I think it's a crucial component to getting really solid color and form.

Cheerio! :)

Attached Files Image(s)

wow, that still... Nice progress man. Keep at it! This definitely seems like the most polished work you've done yet.
Thanks, Jmob! Yeah, it was nice to do something a little more rendered and actually get in to the subtleties of some of the forms.

Here's a figure painting from life for today, a little under 2 hours total. Didn't have too much time to render so it's a bit more of a color study, but I still like how it turned out, at least for now. :P

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, real nice and clean sketchbook. That still life is quite impressive, especially the glass bottle, very nice.

You've got a good sense of color, and your brushwork is clean in most places, I'd say. If anything I'd like to see you put some of these awsome studies to the test and do some more personal imaginative pieces.

Loving your stuff, can't wait to see some more stuff. :DD

Amazing work, but I don't like any of it. Just kidding. I think you're doing great and I can't wait to see more.

We are losing atmosphere...
Glad to find you here my friend! :) At the end we all become daggers! :) aha! :) As always, i'm in love with your poetic painting style! C ya!

I'm so glad to find you here, man. I love your studies, keep them coming. :)

Archreux - Thanks, I appreciate it! :D And yeah, I agree, I need to do more imaginative work. Truth be told I tend to avoid it because it wears me out and since I do it most of the day for work I don't have a lot of incentive to do my own. But that's probably not very healthy, so maybe I'll try to start something up in the next week or so. : P

Sargatanas - haha, cheers mate! More on the way. : )

enricocamerra - Hey man, good to see you! I didn't know you were on here. Thanks for the kind words!

Ros - Hey there, nice to see you on here as well! The whole dA crowd are secret daggers apparently. =P

Here's a quick study for today. It's not very well resolved and probably needs another hour or two before it's really finished, but I wasted most of my day looking at my new Art of Brom book and didn't have much time left over. And hey, I'm not here to be perfect, so bask in how mediocre my perspective drawing is. Drawing is hard, I need to practice things like this more. =\

Attached Files Image(s)