Practice Infinitum
Hey man, I know your pain man, and just know that it's completely normal. Lets look at it this way, we all learn from our downfalls and failures, so if it all went smoothly you would never grow as a person. If you ride this out, you'll come through the other side a stronger person, so just hang In there dude. Ive found these things tend to work in circles, with highs and lows always around each corner, you cant have the good without the bad.

Ive noticed from reading some of your posts, and forgive me if i'm wrong, that you rely a lot on tuition too, which is fine, because we all have our own styles of learning. But remember just that, your style and progressions are your own, so nobody can tell you what you need to better than yourself. People can point you in the right direction, but ultimately it's you who walks the path. I only bring this up because I myself made this mistake ages ago and I don't want to see others fail because of it. I put so much enthesis in the teachings of others that I became very lost.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings dude lol. I always like looking at other kick ass sketchbooks to see how its done and for inspiration, there are loads here. And check out hannes too, his progressions were awesome - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...p?t=114449

razvanb08: Thanks man, I'm going to start doing just that! :3

Warburton: Thanks for the kind words. I do rely a lot on other people's teachings. I'm only just now realizing how much I can figure out on my own, and I really should spend more time on that.
Hannes thread is so ridiculous.

I've just gotta chin up, and work hard! Thanks for taking the time. =D

Here's a finished oil study of a figure. 16x20inches.
[Image: EDhZrEdl.jpg]

[font=Impact] “There is no substitute for hard work.”
Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
[Image: WzjTMMql.jpg]

My most recent painting. Happy valentines day everyone!

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
So, it's been like a month....

Life's been neat I guess. Lil brother got married. Doing school, trying to earn a living. You know, life stuff. Snagged a neat job as an acrylic painting instructor for a step by step, reproduce a painting hobby class thing. It's fun, and people drink the whole time so it's pretty chill.

I've been doodling, and class work, and I entered the diablo 3 fanart contest on deviantart.

That painting job reproduces paintings like this:
[Image: my4ICcdl.jpg]
[Image: iP6Y4ZQl.jpg]

At home oil painting assignment, WIP
[Image: PEh7Xu1l.jpg]
[Image: g0moxoal.jpg]
[Image: W1OeTBTl.jpg]

In class portrait, like 10-12 hours.
[Image: b0s8wJLl.jpg]

Fun time happy good doodling that I do to stay sane at social events. ;)
[Image: ST5DoNml.jpg]

My entry for Diablo 3 Fanart contest
[Image: SHTKVdil.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
St. Patty's Fun

[Image: 4W5BAoGl.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Portrait Practice. 1st from life, 2nd from photo, and 2rd from imagination. All between 30-40 mins.

[Image: nMsVxXTl.jpg]
[Image: rjFfyDnl.jpg]
[Image: Qf9xqW3l.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
More game of thrones! Weeeeeeeeeeeee, I need season 4 nao...

Cersei
[Image: uSFIXjYl.jpg]

Tyrion
[Image: yC8GIT1l.jpg]

And my sister, photo/color study
[Image: LrzglYGl.png]
Apparently, rather than work on a painting and try to be productive....my mind just wants to sketch portraits. >_>;

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
[Image: Qmxkixzl.jpg]
[Image: lzg1z0xl.jpg]
[Image: c8zqAwMl.jpg]
WIP
[Image: 2nu9I3tl.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
[Image: mpNIXmAl.jpg]
[Image: 9SjxWMrl.jpg]
[Image: r0bBPoVl.jpg]

I am so excited for finals to be over, and I just can't wait to delve back into my studies. I hate not posting more frequently. But, I've been keeping busy.

Working on some commissioned oil paintings, which is nice, but no pics on the internet until client approves..so there's that :/

Life, amirite? Also, omg Dark Souls 2 PC release.

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Final!

[Image: 1g2OQa5l.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Hey man thanks for commenting in my sketchbook!

Great stuff so far, I wanna see more posts damnit! All I can really say for now is watch the values on that latest dude. You aren't going dark enough in some spots like under the beard, under the nose. There wouldn't be any light under there so don't be afraid to darken it some more. Right now because the values are a little messy the colors come off as very washed out and muddy.

Hope to see some more stuff from you now that it's summer :)

Haha, thanks Forest!

I'm trying to get back into posting here. I just started a blog, nicholasmarkphillips.blogspot.com
for digital learning.

Here's a recent WIP, working on understanding smudge tool primarily and getting a good likeness.
[Image: f9X5cEpl.jpg?1]

Also, working on oil commissions, which I haven't got permission to post yet....and just today finished moving all my shit into a new apartment. Plenty of excuses eh? Well, not much longer.

Got my shit in gear, a good critique under my belt, and deadlines. GO TIME BABY!

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
nice man following a schedule is hard for me with a full time job doing web design but your work is really looking good man improvement galore!

Front End Developer by day but an Artist by Night
"Artists help artists"
My Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Youtube Lets Learn 3D
Hey nufftalon, thanks for posting! Having a schedule is very important to me. I talk about it in my blog, but let's just say having it is almost more important than strictly adhering to it in my mind.

Working full-time and making progress is really difficult, that's one reason I decided to stay in school for a fine art degree that is only slightly beneficial. Loans and grants really keep the full-time hours at bay for me to focus right now. I'm really looking forward to next year.

Portrait Club Practice, about an hour each. The first of each model is the first session and the second of each model is the second most recent session.

[Image: J7bq91bl.jpg]
[Image: 5w1RLyrl.jpg]

[Image: aMsLiSdl.jpg]
[Image: kflkIX8l.jpg]

[Image: CnjT5c4l.jpg]
[Image: Suv5HI0l.jpg]

[Image: Jd4vChrl.jpg]
[Image: DX4AccFl.jpg]
[Image: CXSmSBQl.jpg]
[Image: TUEWQ09l.jpg]
[Image: 67d26ESl.jpg]

Thumbnailing for a painting for the illuxcon scholarship that's due in 7 days.....shit. lol. We shall see I guess.

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Some studies and goofing around. Color study was for the illuxcon scholarship painting. 2 days. Hnnnnnnngh.

Oh, and tuff guy smiley? Idk...just trying to play with smudge brush find something that makes sense.

[Image: goy41Zjl.jpg]

[Image: mq7squxl.jpg]

[Image: peI0YBDl.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
[Image: aApU72Pl.jpg]
horse...>_>

[Image: CPmQr5Yl.jpg]
30s gesture

[Image: AaJufYxl.jpg]
45s gesture

[Image: 72zO7qwl.jpg]
brush exploration trying to sway myself into considering buying gumroad tuts.

[Image: IgdYHl9l.jpg]
armor study for an upcoming design...........hnnnnnnnnnngh

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
[Image: UPhUXEEl.jpg]

[Image: PsxTGT0l.jpg]

[Image: bS4ThStl.jpg]

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Great sketchbook man. Love the traditional stuff. The portraits look great structurally and anatomically but I think you could focus a bit more on nailing the likeness. Something that is helping me get better at this is doing caricatures believe it or not. The practice of finding the little unique things about a persons face and exaggerating them forces you to be more aware of those features when drawing realistically. Its the same as exaggerating gestures the way Proko advised in one of his videos. It'll hone your observation skill to that next level after you to plateau in skill. Its easier to start with people that have obvious unique features like a big nose and long face. But as you do more you can try out doing people with very average faces which is the biggest challenge for caricaturing.

Hey Hypnagogic, thanks for checking it out! I will have to give caricatures a try, that makes sense now that you've said and it is definitely not something I've done before. hmmmm. interesting...

[Image: cDN0uu1l.jpg]

Finished this from the facebook Draw or Die group. ^____^ Pretty happy with it all things considered. On to the next one!

Thomas Edison
[/font]

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
Wow, if you look at the first page, and then your last page, I can see a lot of improvement!