Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Thank you kerm! Appreciate the advice and the pat on the back haha! I've done more drawing in this last month than I have in the last 15 years combined. Its great to have someone to pat me on the head and tell me "good boy" haha! Everyone in my real life just thinks Im being a weirdo hermit. Well theyre probably right but IM ON A MISSION!

Gave u a rep up for your hard work, you deserve it!
When it comes to strange looks from "normal" people.... I really do understand that. The beginning is the worst. You have to work hard and there's no effect. Your friends start to wonder why don't you go out with them and keep doing what you do even if you fail most of the time. :) After awhile oberving their reactions starts to be funny actually. :)
It's good to have a community like crimson daggers. You just know that you're not alone in this. :)

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
Thanks again Kerm. Hopefully I can keep at least doing this much or more everyday... for the rest of my life. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

thank you for your comment in my sb
for gesture, try read how to draw comic in marvel way, it has a lot of information for improvement of your gesture drawing
(11-25-2013, 01:48 PM)rioriorio Wrote: thank you for your comment in my sb
for gesture, try read how to draw comic in marvel way, it has a lot of information for improvement of your gesture drawing

Thanks for the recommendation! And your welcome. Hopefully it'll stop raining I can take some more pictures of my sketch book to update this thread.

Aye, a fine sketchbook ya got 'ere gov'!

Good anatomy studies, nice gestures, solid volume of work. I like it ;3

Thanks ramalooke and harbinger! I've been kinda lazy the last few days. Between thanksgiving and stress at my shitty job I havnt done much imagination work.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-30-2013, 02:49 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Thanks ramalooke and harbinger! I've been kinda lazy the last few days. Between thanksgiving and stress at my shitty job I havnt done much imagination work.

Hey man - thanks for dropping by. Great point about drawing jaw and studying it.
It's good you draw a lot of gestures. I can see clearly the Proko approach:). my advise is to firstly draw the line of action ( meaning the exagerated flowing line(s) - one or two that will describe the body position and movement), next think about rytmh - connecting every opart of the body with another part (think of how chest contours flow into an leg, how nech line can extended to the hip region etc)
Hampton is a very good next step. his approach allows you to construct the anotomy on top of gesture lines. Do not draw contours - draw the movement. contours will be organicly develop.
Take care!

(12-02-2013, 06:08 AM)Tatar88 Wrote:
(11-30-2013, 02:49 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Thanks ramalooke and harbinger! I've been kinda lazy the last few days. Between thanksgiving and stress at my shitty job I havnt done much imagination work.

Hey man - thanks for dropping by. Great point about drawing jaw and studying it.
It's good you draw a lot of gestures. I can see clearly the Proko approach:). my advise is to firstly draw the line of action ( meaning the exagerated flowing line(s) - one or two that will describe the body position and movement), next think about rytmh - connecting every opart of the body with another part (think of how chest contours flow into an leg, how nech line can extended to the hip region etc)
Hampton is a very good next step. his approach allows you to construct the anotomy on top of gesture lines. Do not draw contours - draw the movement. contours will be organicly develop.
Take care!

I havnt heard rhythm explained in that way before. I think I understand what it is a little better now. Connecting things that are not directly connected such as the neck to the hip and the chest to the leg. Usually they just say look at the whole body and draw one line through the over all rhythm without really explaining what to look for exactly. I mean I got that if the model is bent over, you draw a curved swoosh line to describe that motion. But a lot of times they're standing straight up and most of the limbs are following the same parallel line of the torso. So I just draw a straight line down the middle which doesnt end up helping me understand the subtle movements of the pose. Thank you for that advice!

Hey man, keep up good work! Your sketchbook is one of those which shows dramatic improvement in short period of time! Keep up, don't get lazy. ;)

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
Hey man, thanks for dropping by my SB.
Oh, look, Samus studies!
Your approach to volume is good, and with a bit of time it'll hit the spot. However, your gesture is lacking a bit of "Flow", and is capping it. Sometimes, we just want our gestures to look good, but don't realize a simple "improved Stickman" might be better suited for the job.
Might I suggest you try solving the gesture part with 5 lines tops (usually, mine's done with 4 and a circle).

Kerm, you're my rock. :D Im still drawing everyday, just havnt updated. Thank you for all your encouragement.

txchris, I've been trying to reexamine my whole figure approach and get that "flow" you're talking about. I get what you're saying about how we want our figures to look good. I've really not been trying to draw pretty pictures as much as draw things that I can learn from. Some of my new gestures are almost unrecognizable to even me ╮(─▽─)╭ Also I think I misunderstood Tater in my previous response. I was mixing up the line of action with rhythm lines. My new focus is the initial few lines of the gesture and using 4 or 5 lines like you said. Thank you for your help.

Hopefully I'll have a new update for today if not tomorrow.

Hi!

Thanks for your comment, you asked me for advice on imaginative drawing. Don´t know if this is of any help, I am far from being a master :) :
Balance studies and imaginary works on a daily base (I, for myself, do too much imaginary stuff, because I find it liberating and quite creative to just shoot and draw...)
Try to enhance thinking in 3D and about the construction of things. Try to visualize objects with closed eyes and turn them in your mind in 3D space. If you can do that, draw it.
Practice proportions a lot and you will soon be able to "feel" if you´re doing it right on imaginative work.
Build a visual library of things, anatomy, etc. by mostly drawing stuff you see (it´s best to draw from life as you learn how things look and how you can transfer 3D into 2D), but also constantly observe everything around you and try to memorize as much as you can.

Proportion, perspective, form and formchange (that is value change) are the most basic things. If you know how to handle that, you can draw anything from your mind (reference still helps, because you cannot possibly know how everything looks like). Focus your studies on those subjects.

Here´s how my workflow goes when drawing, for example, a character:
- Lightly sketch the basic gesture/pose and correct proportions/anatomy till it seems right to you. Don´t put any hard lines on paper till you´re absulutely sure everything is correct (there are always issues, but you´ll learn from that :)
- Once the foundation is done, everything else simply falls into places. Try to evolve a story in your head about what you draw. E.g. my character is a female pirate so she has to have a piratey outfit. Is she a captain, a simple sailor? Of noble birth? Maybe she is a stealthy kind of pirate, so include a nice blade for backstabbing and some throwing daggers. No one else needs to know the story, but it really helps.
- I just go from part to part in the drawing and add stuff that enhances my story (Facial feature to complement the character, expression, designing the clothing,...)
- Add nice details like jewelry, pockets on the clothing, ornaments, etc. and it´s done.

Hope that helps in some way. Keep up drawing and do it constantly and things will just develop almost by itself :)

Thanks elderscoller! I've definitely been neglecting those things lately. Im going to start by trying to balance my imagination drawing more with my referencing.

Attached Files Image(s)

I've been reading through Michael Hampton's book Figure Drawing Design and Invention. I think I'm starting to brake new ground with my understanding of figures. Also been messing around with a brush pen and drawing Ultraman for fun. Its a refreshing change from the cheap pall point pen I've been using.

Attached Files Image(s)

bwuaaaaah! -so much practice! awesome! Definitely dig the 7 seal study at the beginning; Ingmar Bergman rules! I recognize those pixellovely pics anywhere! -_-' anyhooz, this is along the lines *zing* of what I was talking about:
http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape
looks like you're on a solid track though between varying with loose gestures, drawing from imagination, and perspective boxing. Nothing I wouldn't recommend for myself! Keep up the good work man! :D

Whoa! That's a lot of figure drawing! It seems it's paying off!

@ Heliux, Thanks man! Some great cinematography in that movie. German Expressionism ftw! And thanks for the video, some great info in there.

@ Rognoll, Im glad you think so :D

These photos are a bit blurry since I had to photograph these inside with less than ideal lighting. I spent all day yesterday studying Michael Hampton's book. Trying to learn as much as I can about anatomy.

Attached Files Image(s)

I see a lot of work and motivation in here, that's great :)
Keep doing what you're doing - anatomy is all about mileage, practice, work work work... from reference as well as from imagination. Keep doing the short gestures, but I'd suggest you also do some more longer works - where you really try to be precise. Still start those with an action line to capture the motion of the pose.
I also wanted to suggest to do some constructive anatomy exercises - but I can see that you already study Loomis an Hampton (excellent choice). Keep doing those, until you really know the most important muscle groups. You might also want to practice a few pages with only legs/stomachs/shoulders etc, focusing on one area at a time, until you really understand it.

But alltogether you're definitely on the right track - just keep doing what you're doing. And don't forget to also do some personal work inbetween, it will help you see your improvements as well as the areas you need to focus and practice more. Keep it up :)

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!