Victor wants to CREATE!
(07-26-2016, 12:12 PM)crackedskull Wrote: Measure better!

Edit: whoops forgot to link this http://www.dorian-iten.com/
It's free btw :D

Great, thanks!

Actually I wasn't measuring at all :P I was just making the gestures and applying the structure and anatomy with what I know of it. I'll take a look at those videos and start applying it, thanks!

A guy from Brazil trying to get into the entertainment industry as a designer.

My Sketchbook
One more Study from a Leyendecker painting.

[Image: epzlUyN.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Cool studies)

Leyendecker? I remember reading that name on Bryan Lee's works on artstation.
It's like he is painting with colored butter :)

(07-29-2016, 02:40 AM)Prabu Wrote: Cool studies)

Leyendecker? I remember reading that name on Bryan Lee's works on artstation.
It's like he is painting with colored butter :)

Thanks! :)

Yeah, Leyendecker is a true master. His brushwork is just unbelievable.

My Sketchbook
Another study from a Leyendecker's painting. I think I have to start picking other artists and do more photo/life studies :P I'm mainly chosing Leyendecker because of his brushwork, that is absolutely amazing, and I'm really bad at brushwork, it's helping me a lot!

Btw, here are the references used for this and past studies, forgot to post before

http://i.imgur.com/JCyMeGe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XSTc8J8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GAe9y0X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nloml1G.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TJvMfOO.jpg

[Image: 9SL2Fmc.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Another one, from Leyendecker as usual :P Really anxious to start painting with color, it's the next lesson on Learn Squared, not really confident about it but I'll try my best :D

Here's the original: http://i.imgur.com/kUjAufi.jpg

[Image: BtkRQBA.jpg]

My Sketchbook
These are some solid studies, it's always good to see people studying after the old masters.

I'm not sure how long you spent on this, but try rendering everything out a little bit more. Maybe you left it the way it is because of personal preference, but seeing that the reference is nice and smoothed out, it might help you to do the same. Either way though, I like the style in which you paint. How do you like Learn Squared? Which course(s) are you taking?

(08-01-2016, 11:30 AM)Nick Waldinger Wrote: These are some solid studies, it's always good to see people studying after the old masters.

I'm not sure how long you spent on this, but try rendering everything out a little bit more. Maybe you left it the way it is because of personal preference, but seeing that the reference is nice and smoothed out, it might help you to do the same. Either way though, I like the style in which you paint. How do you like Learn Squared? Which course(s) are you taking?

Hey Nick, thanks for stopping by! I took no longer than 1,5 hours in those paintings, I didn't really wanted to stay too long on a painting because the point of these studies is to try to get close results of the original with less but more confident brush strokes.

Well I'm taking Painting with Confidence, with Anthony Jones. The course is great, he gives some really valuable information, and it's really challenging. He gives a really short time limit for the homeworks, from 45 minutes to 90 minutes per painting, this is something I'm struggling a lot, but feeling a lot of improvement, so that's good :)

My Sketchbook
Started doing some stuff with color, really liking so far, really fun and hard stuff!

The orc dude I did entirely from imagination, and the chamaleon was a photo study.

[Image: f4E2gtl.jpg]

[Image: MHoE8aW.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Trying out some stuff with color again, this time with two light sources, not so sure about that purple light. Having some real fun playing with color :D

[Image: K7EOkOX.jpg]

My Sketchbook
That's what I call a total failure. It was so hard, struggled from start to finish with this one, and the result is just crap. When the light is too diffuse it's really hard to capture the values and colors correctly, and the hue shifts and values are soooo subtle. Also, I found harder to capture the likeness from a photo study than from a master study, but I suppose it's meant to be hard, at least I've learned a lot from this one :)

[Image: FaQULSH.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Quote:When the light is too diffuse it's really hard to capture the values and colors correctly, and the hue shifts and values are soooo subtle.

Dude, I hear you.

If you're not so much of a purist, you can try slapping a curve Adjustment layer (assuming you're working on PS) on the original photo, make the darkest values darker if the model is too light, or make the lightest lighter if otherwise.

Sometimes when the values are hardly shifting, it's hard to capture the form!

And man. Your portrait wasn't *that* bad!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(08-06-2016, 01:14 PM)John Wrote:
Quote:When the light is too diffuse it's really hard to capture the values and colors correctly, and the hue shifts and values are soooo subtle.

Dude, I hear you.

If you're not so much of a purist, you can try slapping a curve Adjustment layer (assuming you're working on PS) on the original photo, make the darkest values darker if the model is too light, or make the lightest lighter if otherwise.

Sometimes when the values are hardly shifting, it's hard to capture the form!

And man. Your portrait wasn't *that* bad!

Hey John, thanks for the critique!

Yeah, I think I'll do adjustments on my next studies. And I also think that I should take I step back and make my values and brushwork better before tackling color once again. Those studies served well to make me understand what I should focus now. My paintings are very sloppy and I can't define the edges and make a smooth blending yet.

I was trying out color because I've got to the lesson about it on Learn Squared, I wasn't really confident to do it but I gave it a shot anyways, and it made clearer that I should go back. Anthony Jones really stressed out that the colors won't work if the values are bad.

Back to the studies now :)

My Sketchbook
Hey Victor - awesome sketchbook you've got here :).

I don't know whether it's just me but I noticed a big jump in the quality of your art just after you said you'd completed the Fundamentals course. Also now that you're doing the Painting With Confidence course - I'm really impressed with your brush strokes - looks like that was time and money well spent!

Fantastic progress dude - keep going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(08-07-2016, 07:04 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey Victor - awesome sketchbook you've got here :).

I don't know whether it's just me but I noticed a big jump in the quality of your art just after you said you'd completed the Fundamentals course.  Also now that you're doing the Painting With Confidence course - I'm really impressed with your brush strokes - looks like that was time and money well spent!

Fantastic progress dude - keep going!

Hey Artloader, thanks!

Yeah the Fundamentals course really helped me to get rid of some bad habits and to make the construction of my drawings stronger.

New term has just started this week on my college, and I want my holidays back :( Time is really scarce now, but I'll try to focus more to get more juice out of less time.

Btw, back to values.

Dunno why but imgur makes the picture sharper I think

[Image: 8T2T39t.jpg]

Also I did some noses to practice rendering, learning to use the smudge tool correctly (learned from Izzy Medrano's tutorial), and it's really great to make smooth stuff

[Image: sEsMR0u.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Tried to push a little the proportions but I think I went too far with it, it's almost looking like anime, or Irakli Nadar's work. I really like his work but It's not something I want for myself.

[Image: CUee7k3.jpg]

My Sketchbook
By the way which Fundamentals course was it you took?

Those value paintings are beautiful man - I didn't think the last one looked like anime but I guess that is subjective.

I know how you feel about limited time - I get like 1 hour a night for my art - sometimes I cheat and stay up late but I pay for it the next day. I also tell myself that it's OK to take longer getting things done and that helps me a bit.

Keep up the awesomeness anyway!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(08-13-2016, 09:12 AM)Artloader Wrote: By the way which Fundamentals course was it you took?

Those value paintings are beautiful man - I didn't think the last one looked like anime but I guess that is subjective.

I know how you feel about limited time - I get like 1 hour a night for my art - sometimes I cheat and stay up late but I pay for it the next day.  I also tell myself that it's OK to take longer getting things done and that helps me a bit.

Keep up the awesomeness anyway!

Hey Artloader, thanks!

The Fundamentals course that I took is on ICS, that is a school here in São Paulo, it was 6 months of course and the teacher was Carlos Luzzi, he is definitely a great teacher!

Yeah I feel that too, I want to stay up to 2AM drawing or reading, but I have to get up 5AM on the next day, it sucks, but I guess it's for the best... getting more done with less time and learning how to focus better and deal with deadlines. I really don't like to rush to get things done also, but sometimes limiting the time is really good to find out what is delaying you and get a better understanding on what you have to work on, AJ stress this a lot on the Learn Squared course and the homeworks is really challenging, since it attack your weaknesses really hard.

Did a little sketch of a WWII truck, I think it's a Chevy 15CWT, it's been a long time since my last vehicle sketch, still have to work on my ellipses, but I think it wen't kinda well, did it directly with a G-Tec C 0.3 Pen and Copic Markers. I have to do more of those, I had a lot o fun doing it

[Image: oy7zeH1.jpg]

My Sketchbook
Another one! I'm happier with the result of this one then the girl from yesterday, tried to leave a little more texture on the skin and didn't wen't too far in playing with the features and general proportions.

Those portraits are really helping me to improve my rendering and value skills, my paintings were too sloppy before, and I think its better to improve these subjects before continuing with AJ's course (that will require a lot of both).

And man, curly hair is a pain in the butt D:

[Image: NynqD8W.jpg]

My Sketchbook
mmm. dem planes and dat brush economy doh. 'D: