Rotten's Pocket
Hey Artloader, how you been?

I've been working full time. Was busy enough but then we spiked with Covid. Sextuple the demand but a fraction of the usual supply. My daily grind is sprinkled with abuse from customers both in person and through email. My misanthropy has now fully evolved.

I impulse booked a holiday for February :D can't come soon enough...

Have an unfinished painting of an unfinished sketch...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
The latest mermaid piece is looking great! Hope you are still doing ok at your job and that maybe you consider coming back here at some point with new art :)

Hey Dennis, 

I'm still working a day job, but one I have a semi-interest in. I got sucked into the workaholic spiral again so dropped off the radar, but I'm always drawing. I'll try to post more.

---

Recently started up the weekly challenges again. I bought a display tablet to try my hand at digital again. This time using ClipStudio, and it is so much better for achieving a pencil draw look. It doesn't do everything PhotoChop does and I do find myself wanting to switch back for some tasks, but overall, these are as close to looking like pencil drawn as I could ever get, and it's faster. So, so far I've gone from drawing a bit every 6-12 months to at least a few times a week now that I have negotiated my hours a bit better. Hopefully put this dry spell behind me. 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

It's nothing I haven't already said /would say in the chow or cow threads , but sick designs, and great tattoos on the woman's leg , I just realized what they are . Defo got a laugh out of me, I do remember wondering why she looked high af on the chow thread (somehow I didn't notice the smoke)

@Skeffin - My mind heard whimsy and hippie and made a full stop at this so I'm glad someone liked it. 

I have redone this a few times, first used the airbrush but just couldn't get past a certain level of fakeness.

I considered doing a BG, but I'm just going to go ahead and make stickers or somethin'.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

she looks great, loving the delicate shading and the red eyes. Would be amazing if you were waddling through the woods and came across a bunch of these guys chilling

You mean it would be.... dope.

I'll see myself out.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I spilled my tea all over the table after reading last comment. Made my day.

CD dA FM  MaL
Nice updates here! Great concept on the latest mermaid, excellent pose too! I think it would make a great full illustration so I hope you continue to work on it more!

I steam rolled this one today I think and will go back a few stages and do it properly. It's been a week.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

This concept is so awesome! She really has the kind of vibe I imagined when I thought of the theme.

So I finally found the source of all nightmares. hahaha

Anyway — looked over the last three pages and love your creepy concepts — you are really zeroing in on an identifiable and original style. Love how a lot of your pieces have an old 'reference book' feel — like something you'd find in an old professors home who'd been doing paranormal research.....

(07-02-2021, 08:18 AM)Jana Wrote: This concept is so awesome! She really has the kind of vibe I imagined when I thought of the theme.

It was a great choice of theme, and I hope to revisit it.  Sun

@Jephyr
I hope they're not too bad ^,^ 
I suppose they do look like specimen drawings, or I just tend towards the pencil-drawn critters so I could see that. Maybe I should think of that as a possible project. Thanks for taking a look!

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Hey, really cool work! I like your style, it kinda reminds me Alphonse Mucha, but wit dark fantasy themes.
Keep at it, do studies to improve and I wonder where will you elevate your style

[Image: speedy_boi%205.jpg]

Speedy Boi - close to done I would say. I am going back over some unfinished work to see what can be salvaged or redone, as I've been suggested. 

---

@Shuty
Hey man, thanks for stopping by. I hear that a lot, that my work is very 'gothic-art nouveau' or 'grotesque but still pretty'. I'm rolling with it. 

I'm sure I make people here pull at their hair when they tell me to do studies and I don't Toothless But I do try I promise, I just get distracted and do my own thing a LOT and that's what I am trying to change - plan the foundation and have a solid image rather than bits half done.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I want to revisit an old piece but posting what I have so far for this week's COW. 

I always do that thing where I think I'm done, say I'm done, and then I'm not... I think I'm done now :D 

Not the easiest thing to crop, and while the card/screen backing could use some work, it's not the focus and I want to move on to something else.

I've been upgrading a lot of devices and merging accounts from the past 10 years or so into something I can manage more easily in the hopes to produce more, have backups, and not be locked out of drives because i don't remember the password :P . I picked up a GalaxyTab S7+ at a discount, and changed to the dual-device plan on ClipStudio Pro. So far so good as I often have the impulse to make marks when I'm away or at work, and can be too wiped when I get home. I wish the app would load the files straight from googledrive, but it doesn't and instead you gotta use the cloud service and make sure you sync when you're done with one device. They give you 10GB to play with at any one time which is alright. I've lost my previous works twofold due to computer failure so I'm getting up to speed with making backups this time around :D

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Great work on that critter (seriously)!

Do you like GalaxyTab S7 so far? Pen sensitivity wise and overall.

I use a cloud service that auto-synchs folders that I choose (Pcloud, just because there was a good bargain when it was new, but others can do it too). Works great for me, I don't need to do anything manually.

Smile 
(07-10-2021, 05:45 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: @Jephyr
I hope they're not too bad ^,^ 
I suppose they do look like specimen drawings, or I just tend towards the pencil-drawn critters so I could see that. Maybe I should think of that as a possible project. Thanks for taking a look!
 [Image: smile.png]  Not 'bad' at all  — I really like creepy — but my attempts at it always come out a little cartoony.

That sucks you've lost work through the years — a pain most of us can relate to.  

Your 'revisit' on the last piece turned out great.

(07-19-2021, 05:58 AM)neopatogen Wrote: Great work on that critter (seriously)!

Do you like GalaxyTab S7 so far? Pen sensitivity wise and overall.

I use a cloud service that auto-synchs folders that I choose (Pcloud, just because there was a good bargain when it was new, but others can do it too). Works great for me, I don't need to do anything manually.

Thanks Anna, always appreciate your encouragement.

The Tab's great so far. I am still getting used to using it and I think because it's Android and using an App it's rigged to save projects to the app data not to your choice of folder. Files can then be shared to device i.e exported from the app. If it were a surface pro or something I imagine you would be able to use Pcloud and any other service like a normal computer. This is just an oversized version of my phone. I might look at getting a keyboard cover because I do use it to write, and the on-screen style keyboard is just not working out for me. 

The S Pen is very slim and the nib is tiny, so it's very different to using the chunky Wacom/Xpen stylus we're used to. I think it feels a lot like a ballpoint pen. As small as it is I don't think nibs will be an issue, I'm pretty light handed, and the pressure sensitivity is great, especially with the dual pressure adjustment in CSP. I just got to make sure I use it now.

(07-19-2021, 09:44 AM)Jephyr Wrote:  [Image: smile.png] Not 'bad' at all  — I really like creepy — but my attempts at it always come out a little cartoony.
That sucks you've lost work through the years — a pain most of us can relate to.  

Your 'revisit' on the last piece turned out great.

Well that's good news - I think some of your creatures have a little bit of the 90's in them, but I especially enjoy the amount of detail in them, and the little dude in Alien Photobomb. 

Yeah both times it was a big break in momentum so I'm trying to be smart this time around.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

So far on the CHOW Zombie Matador prompt. 

This was pretty fun. 

I used this character to test out the switching between home and tab devices on ClipStudio cloud. It has to be done manually can take a minute to sync once the file gets big but it was definitely better having access to it during the day, rather than hold out until I'm home at my desk. Speed/production-wise, it's definitely an improvement.  I think I am also making improvements to gesture, expression and values. I am venturing into colour after this so I'll see how it goes.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree