Inktober 2015
Lurch Yes on my practice page I did some spatter with the white paint, I might try it but also might just move on : ) And definitely try something more organic to get that looseness. Although, if you have some way to see through to an underdrawing (or are very brave) you can do a nice tight pencil drawing them just go wild with the ink and be really loose and crazy on top. As long as you maintain the perspective it'll all work out and can look pretty cool. Or try a more graphic approach like these: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...c5x0qwVYEQ http://freehdw.com/wallpapers/comics-sin...screen.jpg (on just the objects) from Sin City.

Lodratio It is the third panel, these stories always go 1) intro > 2) development > 3) twist > 4) conclusion. So if I do it right... in the 4th panel, the third one should make sense and tie together the first two. It's a cool way of practising comics without having to go too crazy with the story.

Punk a cat Wrote:draw your own drawing, compound the mistakes! weeeeeeee!
Haha that made me laugh. I've done that before XD

Today just practising stuff. I like how the shadows / stippling turned out on some of them.

[Image: MvT5NCu.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Man, I'm too tired to write anything right now. I'll update this tomorrow or something.

Attached Files Image(s)

5, 6 and 7. One fanart and whatever

lodration, jyonny, thanks for the pointers - organic shapes are reeaally not my strong point at the moment! it's kinda next thing after I'm done working on perspective and constructing stuff. but I might try some anyway.

jyonny - love that character with the case on wheels, the darks really work on that one.

i need to learn more about lighting - these ink drawings have really exposed a lack of knowledge when it comes to shadows.

but hey, it's all good...havin fun doing these.

Tried jyonny's suggestion of working a bit looser over a sketch, went with dip pen, some brush and a bit of spatter over it all...

sticking with the horror movies theme.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello everyone! Lurch said I should start posting my Inktober drawings here. So here is all I've done so far, all on index cards.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jyonny! I dig those char sketches! 

iamorim - is that Aubrey from Hotline Miami ;) ? dat fanart choice is on point!

here's my day 7, I'm behind a day because this destroyed every part of my mind trying to figure out from imagination. So obviously, I've gotta prac the eff outta perspective, like damn. Wow. Yes, it must happen. 
ow my brain.

KEEP PUSHING DAGZ <3

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Lodratio The little room scene looks nice - that's how you do non organic things in a loose way. Guess you have to draw them small. That face where you really played up the shadows looks good too (middle bottom one).

Lurch Thanks man, I think I need to be bolder with my blacks definitely since that one turned out nice. A kind of rule of thumb for lighting in inking, upward facing planes on shadow side are full black, downward facing planes on shadow side have reflected light, cast shadows have hard edge, form shadows have feathering / hatching / stippling coming out of them. As long as you can identify the planes and are clear on the light direction that. Your construction is really solid and the texturing worked out well on the last one.

Iamorim That guy with the helmet looks great. You left some of the contours out, just white spaces, it gives it a more interesting look instead of doing all the lines. Like this sort of thing: http://imagecache.artistrising.com/artwo...HF000A.jpg

Kayo kid Welcome to the thread! Your no.6 and 7 look really nice. I like that graphic style.

Smrr Thanks and good job on your character, looks like you pulled it off. In the Loomis figure drawing book he uses a big box in perspective and cuts it in half a few times to figure out where head / pelvis / etc should be. You probably know that stuff already but check it out if you don't, around page 49.

This is the final panel for my comic strip. I will post them all in sequence in my sketchbook soon as I can get to a scanner.

[Image: 76XdK8G.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
JyonnyNovic: That payoff was way funnier because it was delayed by a day. I guess this is the power of pacing, huh? The figures look really 3d in that last panel by the way. Goes to show how far you can go with a little shading in the right places.

Punk: That harpie looks like it's Yellow Big Birds mean brother. 

smr: I feel you man. Thinking in 3d is headacheinducing, especially when things get more complicated and you have multiple vanishingpoints and cruving surfaces going on. For what it's worth, I love the dynamic angle you're going for. 

Kayo Kid: Welcome!

Attached Files Image(s)

Kayo Kid - good to see you're posting here, keep em coming.

Smrr - looks cool, def worth the brain ache! perspective stuff is harder than science exams for sure.

Jyonny - Love the way it all came together! I agree with Lodratio, those figures really pop!

Thanks for the pointers, I'll try and brear that in mind, I want to try some more complex stuff when I get a bit more time.

Lodratio - that last one is insane! love it.

So I  ran a bit short of ideas today, or at least ones I was prepared to tackle, so I went with a skull and kinda wussed out.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just joined the forum, here's my last few days of inktober! So great to see all your guys' work :)

--------
[[ Sketchbook | Tumblr | Twitter ]]
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I have to say that all of you are pumping out some nice stuff, which makes me want to push myself even more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yesterdays - running behind now -_- 8. Manticore[Image: oct_08_15_by_punk_a_cat-d9cg9pi.jpg]

hey guys I'm gonna hit and run it, but will make sure to reply to all of y'all beautiful hardworking dudes when I have the chance!
Edit:
Jyonny - hey thanks man! Haha yeah I have actually been reading over that very page you mentioned quite recently!

Lodratio - hey thanks man, means a lot to hear you like it.. Because I've been enjoying making it!

Lurch - yeah it can easily mess with ones mind!

Top Cat - that thing is creepy, this I like! Also lol dw I'm behind as well

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Lodratio That last one wow, just wow! I love the lighting on that and the economy of lines on the little buildings.

Lurch Nothing wussy about drawing skulls I think : )

Lekhale Welcome! Lovely linework, really nice drawings too!

Punk cat It's good to catch up but don't let it pressure you else it can make you not want to do it anymore!

Playing around with stuff for my next comic, it'll be about a figure skater. This is my underdrawing with pen, usually I ink with the brush on top but I ran out of time (like always!), so they look pretty flat.

[Image: iqTHZn9.jpg]

Also uploaded this tutorial about inking, good for getting more depth and interest (although I screwed it up like on the girl's face above 'cause I rushed it). : http://i.imgur.com/1qWPu6Z.jpg

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
smrr - yeah, it is. that game!! Great work on las post

jyonny  - thanks man

8 and 9.
Dungeons and dragons cartoon '-'

lurch: Thanks. It only came together when I added the big shadow areas in digital. Overlay layers are great! Drawing skulls is really helpful for figuring out facial anatomy, so even if it's something basic it's definitely a good thing to practice every now and then.

Punk-A-Cat: Don't stress yourself out man. The feeling of wanting to do a better job than last time every time can become overwhelming. Just do a really crappy drawing and don't put any effort into it, and you'll be back on shedule.

smrr: The face in your last page looks better than your other ones, maybe because of the broad jawline and the cheekbones. Good job.

Today Captain Buggy starts his very own PMC.

Attached Files Image(s)

lekhayle, cool stuff, glad you posted em here as well!

more cool work from everyone, it's gettin really busy in here now!

love all the different styles.

Doodled this out on an envelope but just had no more time today, and wanted to post it because it came out much looser than my usual stuff, I guess because it was just a doodle, so maybe I was more relaxed.

Attached Files Image(s)

JyonnyNovice - thanks! Good work on the ice skating poses, lookin good :)

Day 9 -

--------
[[ Sketchbook | Tumblr | Twitter ]]
I like the crosshatching on your recent drawing Lurch.  

@smrr, your drawings are extremely dynamic!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi all! I'm back on track -- and didn't want to spam the thread, so decided to post in bunches :D

JyonnyNovice Thank YOU!! Oh man yeah, sort of? I started with a loose theme, "demons/occult in Renaissance Venice" and just kind of let things emerge. It's neat to see it develop into its own symbols and shape language.

Your last practice pieces look sweet! Hold back on the black, IMO, you have a wonderful line quality that can get lost in them if you are not careful. I am struggling with that as well.

[b]Punk-A-Cat[/b], that chimera is adorable!

[b]smrr[/b] NGL I look forward to every update in this thread from you I really really love the way you shade with marker for some reason??

Anyway here's a dump.
Day 3 -- Courtesan

[Image: 12110034_10207948479732852_3844684780339985866_o.jpg]

Day 4 -- The Guard

[Image: 12049215_10207953960709873_7440526102200...e=568D9173]

Day 5 -- The Sacrifice

[Image: 12144809_10207962202115903_7198777486946...e=568E2BE1]

Day 6 -- The Fortune Teller

[Image: 12074908_10207984272267643_1284418492575...e=5687C9F6]

Day 7 -- Wrath Demon

[Image: 12088081_10207984967725029_3946295446387...e=56990872]

I am a little behind after catching a flu, but the plan is to catch up and get ahead this weekend!