Hedgie's sketchbook
Hi guys! I'm an illustration student that wants to get better at drawing. I'll be posting studies and some personal work here! Critique is MOST welcome!

Here are some horse studies for an assignment. Going to be posting horses the next couple of days probably

[Image: Jl8VlLn.png]

Starting to study color and light; There's so much to read/study it's kind of overwhelming, so here's a metal ball after reading about reflections
[Image: krjguIB.png]

and a little gesture + lighting study
[Image: kfut3Dy.png]
Thumbs Up 
Looks great so far!! Literally just joined this site a minute ago but I like what I see :) horses take FOREVER to get down by memory, so photo/life sketches can really help
(12-17-2015, 09:00 AM)Sweaty Tiger Wrote: Looks great so far!! Literally just joined this site a minute ago but I like what I see :) horses take FOREVER to get down by memory, so photo/life sketches can really help

Thank you!! I actually went to some horse stables to draw those; it was a fun exercise. Sticking to photos for now though. Anyway, welcome to CD! I'll be sure to check out your work when you post it!  Thumbs_up

Here's a WIP from today
[Image: H1iiMuf.png]
Today's update; here's the first pic for that horse thing I was talking about. Would love some crits on it even though it's definitely not finished yet
[Image: vmNRBVQ.png]

Also the finished picture from my last post
[Image: 3iruwCg.png]
Aand some other stuff I did, mostly fan art
[Image: lJbHkbM.png]
[Image: F2P97gs.png]
trying to pick the right colors

[Image: TesSGrC.png]

Hey, nice work. I like what you did with the purple girl holding the bomb. Would definitely like to see a full finished version.
Love your work! Nice use of color and form! ^^ I'm not great at real serious crit outside of a class setting, but I can see you have some good stuff going on here.

(12-28-2015, 07:09 PM)Dennis Kutsenko Wrote: Hey, nice work. I like what you did with the purple girl holding the bomb. Would definitely like to see a full finished version.

Hey, thanks for stopping by! That's probably as finished as it's gonna get unfortunately; I have at least 3 deadlines in the next two weeks haha.. ha Dead

(12-28-2015, 07:13 PM)KJefferson Wrote: Love your work! Nice use of color and form! ^^ I'm not great at real serious crit outside of a class setting, but I can see you have some good stuff going on here.
Thanks you KJ!

Today's quick study
[Image: YpXTfAo.png]

Hi Hedgie,
Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. You look like you're off to a good start yourself. Your line-work looks great; lots of good gesture and characterization. As far as color and light is concerned; focus primarily on value first. Don't get bogged down in color and details in your studies before you establish the proper relationships between values.

As for the image with the horse: I think that establishing your full range of values as soon as possible will help a lot. It would allow you to set the mood of the piece very definitively, before spending hours rendering something that may not convey the story properly. Usually this is done with a small color study so that you can experiment with a few options quickly and easily.
The characters could also relate to each other more. Right now they each sit on opposite halves of the image. Perhaps you could try changing the position of the horse so that it overlaps with the man. this would also help to move some more color throughout the image. I made a small paint -over to show you what I mean. I'm not sure what the story is, so I'm sure there are many equally valid alternatives to my example. Hope this helps, and keep up the good work.

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.
Quote:Hi Hedgie,
Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. You look like you're off to a good start yourself. Your line-work looks great; lots of good gesture and characterization. As far as color and light is concerned; focus primarily on value first. Don't get bogged down in color and details in your studies before you establish the proper relationships between values.

As for the image with the horse: I think that establishing your full range of values as soon as possible will help a lot. It would allow you to set the mood of the piece very definitively, before spending hours rendering something that may not convey the story properly. Usually this is done with a small color study so that you can experiment with a few options quickly and easily.
The characters could also relate to each other more. Right now they each sit on opposite halves of the image. Perhaps you could try changing the position of the horse so that it overlaps with the man. this would also help to move some more color throughout the image. I made a small paint -over to show you what I mean. I'm not sure what the story is, so I'm sure there are many equally valid alternatives to my example. Hope this helps, and keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for the wonderful critique! You're right, I don't spend enough time in the preliminary stage; especially in terms of planning values. I'll have to drop the color studies for now and get some black and white images

Your paint over is extremely helpful! Moving the horse like that makes the image so much better; because it is about them two, not so much about the letter that the soldier is reading. Also the change to the background is simple but really effective! I'm so used to drawing individual characters with no backgrounds I'm kind of lost when putting an illustration together hehe. Thank you again for taking the time to help me out  :happy:

Happy new year everyone!

Here's a black and white study to start off the year. Spent longer than I should on it. I'm planning to do one of these a day along with my other stuff 

[Image: 4ztTh8j.png]

You've got a lot of great stuff here, I love the finished painting of the bunny and the eye! In the last study I think you've made his nose a bit too long and it throws the rest of the upper face a bit off. Otherwise your brushwork is amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished horse illustration!