Nick Waldinger's Sketchbook
A little dump of stuff here, ranging from Loomis anatomy studies to studies of MMA fights to a color study of James Gurney's work. Will try updating my sketchbook every weekend now that school is back in full swing. 

nice work on your studies Nick! you're drawings are looking pretty solid.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

(08-28-2016, 06:30 AM)Jonesoda Wrote: nice work on your studies Nick! you're drawings are looking pretty solid.

Hey thanks man! I appreciate it. But after your paint-over of my Steve poster, it looks like I'm gonna have to start putting a little more time towards learning planes/structure ;)

Really like the portrait study with the warm and cool tones. I've been trying to learn how to get more interesting colours in my work but finding it difficult. Are you finding the James Gurney book helps a lot? I just picked up a copy so i'm ready to dive into it too!

(08-28-2016, 11:54 AM)The Lama Wrote: Really like the portrait study with the warm and cool tones. I've been trying to learn how to get more interesting colours in my work but finding it difficult. Are you finding the James Gurney book helps a lot? I just picked up a copy so i'm ready to dive into it too!

Thanks for stopping by! Admittedly I haven't been reading it as regularly as I should, but it's definitely helpful. So long as you read it and do the studies, you'll learn a lot!

Weekly update: during one of his streams, Russell did a paintover of my Lichman poster and suggested I study planes/structure a bit more. So this week I did a photo study of a plane head to focus on just that, followed by another photo study focusing on color and then a few anatomy studies. 

Onward to another week!

Attached Files Image(s)

Weekly update: a couple color studies and a few pages of anatomy studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Weekly update. Did a few different studies this time, one clothing study and one hair study. Found out just how difficult hair is to paint, will have to do a few more of these studies to get a better grasp on it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your studies are looking slick man, keep going with that.

@Vandall - Thanks, I appreciate you stopping by!

Little change of pace this week, as my graphic design class actually called for some traditional drawing. So I worked on various bug sketches and eventually a rendered-out Hercules beetle. Apart from that I continued my hair studies and was a little more pleased with how the second batch turned out. Will probably continue them going into next week as I feel I'm getting an idea for how hair is supposed to be handled.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well Daggers, it's been a shitty couple of weeks. A close friend recently passed and I've been having a hard time focusing, let alone getting back into the swing of things. But, life goes on. 

I've been trying to improve my hands specifically (as well as anatomy in general). I've also done some quick color studies based on projects I'm doing, and even a caustics study with class. 

Comments? Critiques?

Attached Files Image(s)

Not a whole lot to show this week as I can't show the bulk of what I've been working on, but here's a still life and some anatomy studies in the meantime. Channeled as much Mr. Concept Art as I could for the toaster study, but I fear I'll never reach his level of near-future.

Attached Files Image(s)

Still life of some socks and underwear focusing on texture, 100% painted and no photos allowed. Felt alright with the time I spent on it, could tweak a few things but I did learn a good amount. 

On to the next!

Attached Files Image(s)

Some anatomy studies from the week, going to start focusing on learning to draw heads. Any ideas on what to watch for would be really appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Study of one of the best to ever do it, Fedor Emelianenko. Trying to get better and faces/heads more than anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

You're showing really great progress. The perspective work and texture studies are really paying off. You're anatomy studies are looking really great too! I don't really have any critiques for you right now, just wanted to say keep up the good work! :)

Also, I'm sorry about your friend. I can't imagine how hard that is. Hang in there, man.

(10-26-2016, 02:48 PM)Jackeloop Wrote: You're showing really great progress. The perspective work and texture studies are really paying off. You're anatomy studies are looking really great too! I don't really have any critiques for you right now, just wanted to say keep up the good work! :)

Also, I'm sorry about your friend. I can't imagine how hard that is. Hang in there, man.

Thanks for dropping by! I appreciate your condolences.

It's good to see that others are seeing progress before I do, it's always hard to see it on your own :P

Been a little quiet lately, but here's something I've been working on. Really trying to improve at 1.) faces and 2.) a realistic approach. Going to be doing more and more still-lives (especially of the new plane head I got) to hopefully improve in both of these areas. Thoughts? I've included a process JPG as well for shits and giggles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Heads heads and more heads, tips/critiques?

[Image: 15073459_1541616542531662_63670232971618...e=588C2839]

Another plane head study, any tips on pushing the realism more?

Attached Files Image(s)