Nick Waldinger's Sketchbook
@Hozure - Thank you! I feel like I'm learning a lot with the course, and for only $15 a month they're really a great deal.

@Russ - Thanks! The helmet was for sure my biggest focus in the design, so I'm glad to hear it works well.

Personal piece called "The Contract", the first of three paintings for a small series I've planned. Been chipping away at this one in my free time for quite awhile, nice to finally have it off my chest and put it out there.

Attached Files Image(s)

You have a wonderful gallery, one thing I do notice about this recent piece you posted is the shading on the metal surfaces is too smooth. To give it more texture it needs ridges and scrapes.
@Beluga - Thank you! For the helmet I was definitely going for something smooth and polished, but that might not have been a good choice for a mercenary. I tried switching that for the chest armor, but I'll have to pay more attention to it next time. Thanks!

Little bit of research/sketching for my next piece, will probably be awhile until I actually get to finish it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Last value/edge study, was hoping to spend another day on this one but gotta stick to a schedule. Starting on the next assignment later tonight.

Attached Files Image(s)

Learning to manipulate edges with the next assignment, pretty happy with this one. Onto the next one

Attached Files Image(s)

And another soft edge study. Gonna move onto a harder-edge one next week.

Attached Files Image(s)

The edges on the last study look great!

@Noodle - Thanks! Really trying to push for a soft feel; a little easier to make something feel realistic that way.

Another edge study, this time focusing on using harder edges while still maintaining the realistic feel. A little tougher than doing so with softer edges, but I can definitely see how this could be used for composition and hierarchy.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great work! i think i saw some of your assignments on Schoolism. I can't wait to get to that course.

@alex - Thanks! I'd be surprised if you saw them there, I'm just doing the self-guided courses :P

Last hard-edge study, onto the next assignment. Hopefully it'll pertain to color this go around.

Attached Files Image(s)

Alright, FINALLY moving onto color with these assignments now :P I think taking my time with all the other things like proportion and values really helped and I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. I'd love to take a lot more time fixing all the proportion issues and just making everything nice and polished, but I think it's a good time to start another one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Woo, been a hot minute since I updated this! Got a little carried away with some schoolwork and got away from my assignments, will be posting a few personal pieces. Here's one that I started awhile back, finally finished it up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your studies are so great *.* what kind of program are you in if thats ok to ask?

(04-17-2017, 10:06 AM)NoodleInBox Wrote: Your studies are so great *.* what kind of program are you in if thats ok to ask?

Thank you! If you mean software, I just use Photoshop CC. If you mean the class, I'm taking "Essentials of Realism" with Jon Hardesty on Schoolism. Here's a link: https://www.schoolism.com/school.php?id=33

Another color study, didn't have as much time as I'd have liked. But whatever, gonna move onto the next one.

Attached Files Image(s)

They way you simplified the last study is beautiful. I'm a it torn at the moment. I dont know it I should take the color and light or the essentials of realism class. Is Jon Hardesty a good teacher?

(04-19-2017, 11:55 PM)NoodleInBox Wrote: They way you simplified the last study is beautiful. I'm a it torn at the moment. I dont know it I should take the color and light or the essentials of realism class. Is Jon Hardesty a good teacher?

Thank you! I haven't taken the Color & Light class, but I plan on it this summer. And Jon is a great teacher in my opinion, he breaks down things in simple and understandable ways and makes realism something very achievable. I'd suggest it! 

Here's the next color study, struggled like crazy with this one as I don't ever do environments/nature. Will continue this theme for the next one.

Attached Files Image(s)