Nick Waldinger's Sketchbook
Long time no post! Once things started picking up towards the end of last semester, I got out of updating this regularly. Hoping to pick it back up this year and keep it going for awhile.

For starters, here are a few finished finished pieces I've done over the past few months. Been messing with different styles here and there, you can see the rest on my DA (link in signature).

Attached Files Image(s)

Also, I'm taking a Schoolism class right now. I'll post my homework for that as well, starting with proportion studies.

It's really cool to feel myself improving after each one I did, especially when you compare the 1st one to the 15th. Hopefully this remains true throughout the rest of the course.

Attached Files Image(s)

And for today's assignment there was a 5-value painting. I really struggled with this one and still not happy with it, but I plan on doing atleast 10 of these. Hopefully I'll have a real grasp on them by the end. 

Of course, crits/comments are more than welcome, especially on these assignments.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Nick. Not much to say about the actual work but march on and keep up the momentum!

Quote:I really struggled with this one and still not happy with it, but I plan on doing atleast 10 of these. Hopefully I'll have a real grasp on them by the end.

Two things (if you haven't stumbled upon them before):
1. This might help: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/
2. Try squinting. Squint when looking at your reference. It helps you group values better.

Good luck with the assignments!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Thanks John! I'll keep pushing these value studies and try what you said, will post the next one tomorrow.

Today's 5-value study, a self-portrait this time. Struggled like crazy with this one but I was somewhat pleased with the final, considering the limitations. Hopefully tomorrow's will be even better.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work on the assignments. They will really help you with the rendering of your own characters since they look a bit flat, which is probably because imagination stuff is more difficult. If you want to challenge yourself you should totally do more heads in different angles but the same lighting. It is difficult but you will learn tons! Love the simplification :) keep it up!
@Angelique - Thanks! For now I'm just trying to mimic the values and get them accurate, but I'm definitely planning on doing a variety of head positions. Above all else, I'd like to improve my portraits during this class so fingers crossed!

Here's today's assignment. Did a portrait of one of my favorite actors out there, Tom Hardy. I feel like it went a bit smoother than the last 2 and I feel more comfortable with each one. On to the next!

Attached Files Image(s)

Today's 5-value portrait, this time of UFC fighter Alan Jouban. The values feel a little off, it was tough trying to do such a high-contrast image and figure out how to make the values transition naturally. Will definitely do another similar one before moving on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another one. Focused a bit more on the values this time instead of the proportions, I think they were a little closer than yesterday's.

Attached Files Image(s)

Anotha one. Going to start doing these with the color included.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm loving these value studies Nick! They look like they'll provide a really solid foundation for rendering, I might have a go myself, thanks for sharing :).

I noticed that your accuracy is slightly off (I realise that accuracy isn't the aim here but thought this might be of interest), have you seen Dorian Iten's accuracy guide? It's really worth a look.

Keep it going man!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Gotta love some Neil Gaiman haha! :D
Cool studies!

@Artloader - Thanks! Admittedly I do need to watch my proportions a bit more, but seeing these are just one-offs I don't do too much refining. Once the course moves on to fully-rendered studies, I'll be sure to really nail the likeness before moving on.

@Nowio - Thanks! I was actually listening to his audiobook while doing that one haha

Damn, a little rusty after doing personal work over the weekend. Don't think the values are too good on this one, might as well do another.

Attached Files Image(s)

Love those value studies you are doing <3 you seem to gain a lt from them!

@Noodle - Thanks!

Gandalf for today's study. Pretty pleased with this one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! Really awesome block-ins and value studies! You're very good at simplifying what you see! Keep up the good work!

@Axrel - Thanks! Hopefully it'll translate to full studies :P

Starting the finally feel comfortable with these...

Attached Files Image(s)

Last of the 5-value studies, gotta love some Chigurh. Struggled a bit with the proportions early on, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. 

On to the next assignment!

Attached Files Image(s)