ANDREW GIBBONS SKETCHBOOK
and done..for now
ill check it with fresh eyes and probably touch it up but for now im satisfied
[Image: bride_of_carnage_by_andrew_gibbons-dcflaia.jpg]

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
i like the concept, just the proportions are throwin it off my dude, the hand i mean i get it youre going for a foreshortened thing but its just soo huge it looks kinda weird. the lower body is missing a huge chunk of like the sacrum and hip bone. The glutes are tiny even for a female figure, the lighting on the arm is confusing because it is in straight profile but then comes out at the viewer yet is lit the same way as if its not turning in space. non existent neck, the feet are strangely diff sizes; cmon man slow down and draw some fundies for a while, it'll help so much :D

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(06-28-2018, 04:33 AM)Fedodika Wrote: i like the concept, just the proportions are throwin it off my dude, the hand i mean i get it youre going for a foreshortened thing but its just soo huge it looks kinda weird. the lower body is missing a huge chunk of like the sacrum and hip bone. The glutes are tiny even for a female figure, the lighting on the arm is confusing because it is in straight profile but then comes out at the viewer yet is lit the same way as if its not turning in space. non existent neck, the feet are strangely diff sizes; cmon man slow down and draw some fundies for a while, it'll help so much :D
This is the character
the hand isnt big because of foreshortening
cos the character can grow the limbs
yeah maybe the back foot is bit big
i could add a touch more butt
ill have a look at it witch fresh eyes and do some touch ups, cheers for the input
[Image: 51jwt6LSOJL._SY450_.jpg]

working on this one tonight
[Image: simbiote_scream_3_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg2p23.jpg]

niceee

make sure you seperate those feet well, they are almost tangenting ;)

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
It would be good if you would add a background to compliment the figure so it doesn't look flat.I also second what fedodika said about the tangent.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(07-03-2018, 04:01 AM)Gliger Wrote: niceee

Thanks!

@Fedo
haha don't worry, i just haven't gotten to them yet, but thanks

@Darktiste
Yeah but I want the plain back background, I just wanna focus on the characters and I'm having them all on black backgrounds to help make it a cohesive set

trying to get 30 quick portraits done this month
#1 just trying out a brush i dont use much, bit of a sketch into free colors
[Image: danny_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg8jy9.jpg]
#2 this one was a lighting application study
[Image: 30_a_monthexample_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg8kxw.jpg]
i know the likeness is shit but it wasnt as much the focus of this study anyway
[Image: 30_a_month_danny2_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg8jyq.jpg]
tried to do a pencily one which looked crap so i rendered up black and white instead
[Image: 30_a_month_danny_3_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg8jye.jpg]

PSSST andrew, Draw moar paint less, you'll become an infinitely better painter and colorist if you do eet! if you spent even just a month with pencil only your paintings will soar! promise <3

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-04-2018, 10:02 PM)Fedodika Wrote: PSSST andrew, Draw moar paint less, you'll become an infinitely better painter and colorist if you do eet! if you spent even just a month with pencil only your paintings will soar! promise <3

its a nice paint over bro,
and i know youre absolutely right, my drawing skills are for sure lacking.
i didnt do any sketch for that one which makes sense why it turned out so off.
i got some info out of the study tho so something gained
ill get better at drawing eventually..

One more portrait today to keep up with the days..
will do 30 portraits this month just quick ones.
im happy with how this turned out, just wanted some mild pushing of the features
just playing around.
[Image: danny_sketch_by_andrew_gibbons-dcg8zet.jpg]

can you post the ref?

Why not instead of coloring, spend time refining the forms and making the likeness better?

"will do 30 portraits this month *just* quick ones.
im happy with how this turned out, *just* wanted some mild pushing of the features
*just* playing around."

The word "just" in short to me sounds like "justifiably" like youre trying to qualify what youre doing. You know youre drawings need work, why not work on it? you can do that within your 30 portrait goal my dude :)

(07-05-2018, 12:57 AM)Fedodika Wrote: can you post the ref?

Why not instead of coloring, spend time refining the forms and making the likeness better?

"will do 30 portraits this month *just* quick ones.
im happy with how this turned out, *just* wanted some mild pushing of the features
*just* playing around."

The word "just" in short to me sounds like "justifiably" like youre trying to qualify what youre doing. You know youre drawings need work, why not work on it? you can do that within your 30 portrait goal my dude :)

Answer:
I'm choosing what I want to focus on and having fun

the first one I was playing with different brushes, the 2nd I just wanted to understand color and value distribution of the painting I was referencing, the 3rd is just about values and read and the 4th i wanted to push the features and retain the character.

I don't want to spends hours on each one. I wanna do 30 in a month as a challenge to paint consistently and get a bit of study in, next to putting in hours to the personal work that I spends 20 odd hours rendering each.

I'm trying to keep it fun but ill do a nice drawn one next time and hope that satisfies ya ;)

as a counter point I know the amount of studies you do is very commendable, but i think it would be cool for you to attempt more fully realized personal work along side the studies.

my suggestion but I don't know your intentions with art so each to their own anyway.
Thumbs_up
PS: how do you get your sketchbook to link to the most recent page? haha

Quick Terry Crews portrait
just having fun with this brush
[Image: terry_crews_study_by_andrew_gibbons-dcgba2m.jpg]

and using the same brush i painted this in response to Dans request for an Orc Chieftain version
of one of Ilya Repins paintings

[Image: orc_chieftains_by_andrew_gibbons-dcgq1qr.jpg]

Here you can see the comparison between the original Ilya Repin painting and mine

[Image: illya_redemption_post_done_by_andrew_gib...cgtgqs.gif]

Couple of portrait commissions I did recently
was not the best reference shots, very flatly lit kinda selfie photos but I tried to make do
and give them some varied skin tone by looking at some other reference
[Image: betty_portrait_by_andrew_gibbons-dcibwol.jpg]
[Image: macca_portrait_by_andrew_gibbons-dcibwsx.jpg]

another portrait commission
was not the best reference.. quite small and pixelated but i made do
[Image: child_portrait_comission_by_andrew_gibbons-dcj2in9.jpg]

some stuff for a friends birthday present
just him as a transformer
Still very uncomfortable with hard surface stuff..

[Image: yapotronprogress_by_andrew_gibbons-dcj9r8w.jpg]

[Image: yapotron3_by_andrew_gibbons-dcj9r9d.jpg]

pretty cool, you could probably get little commissions doing things like that, people love little avatar things :)