Vitor sketchbook
(03-21-2023, 03:00 AM)dimensional-knight Wrote: Ooh, nice hands!

(03-20-2023, 08:12 AM)VitorCardoso Wrote: what I'm focused on improving right now are the lines, hands, faces and design of the figures.I once read somewhere: "people will forgive a bad knee or arm but they won't forgive a weird hand and face" so I always keep drawing faces and now I need to practice more hands too.

Absolutely. From my own experience people are even willing to forgive half-assed hands if you give them a good face.

Ok, knowing your goals, I've got a couple of pointers. These aren't mistakes you're making all the time, but since they're cropping here and there, these landmarks could be useful.

When positioning ears consider the ear hole's location first. It's always below the zygomatic bone (green). The final bit where it narrows is actually already temporal, but whatever, it's helpful to think of it as a single structure. With this, if you know your cheekbones you know here the ear is vertically. Horizontally, it's roughly behind the middle of the head.

The mouth area seems to be troubling you the most. Avoid drawing lips as a feature, add the lines after considering the mass of the mouth area. And the chin, more often than not will support that mass, without "retreating" much towards the neck.

I hope this helps!
this zygomatic landmark is super useful, most of the time i get the positions of the ears wrong,about que mouth i always think about half sphere mass of the teeth.

I got that head-building method from Scott Eaton in case you're curious.

Yes, the mouth mound is a squished sphere. It's just that sometimes in 3/4ish angles you don't squish it enough at the base of the nose, so it sits a bit too forward.

And I could be wrong, but you seem so to be focusing so much on the lips shape you put most of your energy into outlining them, without rendering their volume with the same care dispensed to nose and jawline. Being lighter, they read as sitting more forward than the chin. Quick paintover with missing shadows to illustrate what I mean:

Here are a few areas of interest where the mouth mound gets squished back to bone. Sculpture courtesy of a Proko video I didn't watch but has a nice mouth.

I got that impression because it's not happening in your portraits of older people, where you suggest the lips volume without outlining them in the same manner. You seem less tempted to skip shadows then.

Respect for taking the 500 hands challenge. Some of the first ones are a bit wonky but it progressively gets better. Only 460 to go. Once in a while, maybe do a few hands from memory to consolidate what you are learning?

(03-23-2023, 09:19 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Respect for taking the 500 hands challenge. Some of the first ones are a bit wonky but it progressively gets better. Only 460 to go. Once in a while, maybe do a few hands from memory to consolidate what you are learning?

yeah, on the first pages the fingers were too big I still have difficulty with super foreshortened angles. I will definitely do some from imagination too

(03-23-2023, 01:21 AM)dimensional-knight Wrote: I got that head-building method from Scott Eaton in case you're curious.

Yes, the mouth mound is a squished sphere. It's just that sometimes in 3/4ish angles you don't squish it enough at the base of the nose, so it sits a bit too forward.

And I could be wrong, but you seem so to be focusing so much on the lips shape you put most of your energy into outlining them, without rendering their volume with the same care dispensed to nose and jawline. Being lighter, they read as sitting more forward than the chin. Quick paintover with missing shadows to illustrate what I mean:

Here are a few areas of interest where the mouth mound gets squished back to bone. Sculpture courtesy of a Proko video I didn't watch but has a nice mouth.

I got that impression because it's not happening in your portraits of older people, where you suggest the lips volume without outlining them in the same manner. You seem less tempted to skip shadows then.
this are drawings that i did last year, i will definitely do more with this feedbacks, thanks

more hands

Attached Files Image(s)

I've been drawing a lot lately, so sometimes I like to draw from my imagination without the pressure of producing something good. I just draw random stuff without using constructive lines or loose sketches like I usually do.The drawings could end up looking generic, but the act of just drawing makes me feel happy.[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Noto Sans', sans-serif, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Noto Color Emoji']The drawings could end up looking generic, but the act of just drawing makes me feel happy.[/font][font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Noto Sans', sans-serif, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Noto Color Emoji']I usually0[/font]

Attached Files Image(s)

Wonderful drawings, very spontaneous and elegant lines!

And nice hands as well!

(03-29-2023, 03:09 AM)VitorCardoso Wrote: I've been drawing a lot lately, so sometimes I like to draw from my imagination without the pressure of producing something good. I just draw random stuff without using constructive lines or loose sketches like I usually do.The drawings could end up looking generic, but the act of just drawing makes me feel happy.[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Noto Sans', sans-serif, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Noto Color Emoji']The drawings could end up looking generic, but the act of just drawing makes me feel happy.[/font][font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Noto Sans', sans-serif, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Noto Color Emoji']I usually0[/font]

I like that your imaginative drawings show your sense of creativity. I could even feel the sense of form even with contours.

Thanks @dimensional-knight and @mechapark12.

Attached Files Image(s)

animals quick sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Ooooh those animals look GOOD. look at the flow on that elephant!

thanks, i usually do a lot of this sketches

70 hands have been drawn so far, I keep trying to improve the quality of the lines too

Attached Files Image(s)

Oooo this last set of hands are very nice
Nice sausage dog!
I recently stumbled upon a condensed to the point tutorial about the mouth mound that Knight talked to you about, it might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwNC-169hRA

(04-10-2023, 01:13 PM)Leo Ki Wrote: Nice sausage dog!
I recently stumbled upon a condensed to the point tutorial about the mouth mound that Knight talked to you about, it might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwNC-169hRA

I saw this video the day he posted it, it looks like it was made for me haha.

(04-10-2023, 10:25 AM)Crowbit Wrote: Oooo this last set of hands are very nice

thank you I'm trying hard to improve hand drawing

more portraits with toned paper, I switched from Faber Castell polychromos to Prismacolor premier I think it blends better because it's softer

Attached Files Image(s)

trying to create cool silhouette designs, I'm thinking a dragon hunter type, actually my goal is to make at least 20 of these

Attached Files Image(s)

I can picture 5 and 6 teaming up for the hunt, complementary features.