Ognjisha's esoteric studies
OMG! You are on fire!

Really awesome workload you have, so much stuff. Illustrations, studies sketches, more finished stuff it's all there. Had a little bit of feedback on the space image with the whale I hope you don't mind. I really like the way the whale has been done, but I felt like it wasn't standing out so much. I lightened the values up a little bit on the left smaller planet just to let that whales' silhouette work a little bit better - easy fix. The other thing I noticed (it's more noticeable if zoomed out and looking as a thumbnail) is the whale's fin/"arm" does echo the planet behind him a little bit too much. Looking at the image super fast almost makes it look like the outline of the planet, so i'd probably either move the planet just a bit or change the fin/arm slightly to combat that echoing effect just a little bit. It's a cool concept and the whale has been done beautifully!

Lastly I did change the right wing of the front ship just a little bit as it was lining up perfectly with (contour and gesture) with the whales tail section.

Can't wait to see more, thanks for sharing :D

Attached Files Image(s)

I think the best fix for the tangente would be to reduce the size of the biggest planet by 5-10%

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Holy shit thank you uiriamu! definitely will try to look out for that more next time

Drain gang
You have an incredible amount of mileage in this thread! Seems like your painting is catching up with your line in terms of skill. Not much else but practice will get those two towards a better even!

The tangent-issues on your space whale could also be adjusted with some more midtones on your planet. Wanted to also not the 'chin' of the creature tends to go in with the edge of the canvas (puzzle piece like). You could probably mix this up by losing edges with the pink jet vapor, or extending your canvas ratio and seeing how that plays out!
So many studies and illustrations here, very impressive work! Really enjoy how your incorporate lighting into your more finished pieces, always very dynamic. Your creature designs in general are very appealing and unique, very creative all around.

I don't have anything to offer in terms of critique as the work appears to be very solid in general, so just keep it going! Thanks again for your useful input on my work as well, you were extremely helpful! Looking forward to more updates from you!

@melolon - thank you! i don't think im gonna be finishing that painting, but i'll keep all that stuff in mind next time

@cgmythology - thank you, im really glad i could help! : D

Anyways, here's some new stuff. Definitely not enough studies, im doing some storyboard stuff and thumbnails but i really want to get into studying composition more, but i'm pretty happy with the  work i'm putting into the character designs

Random stuff
[Image: eDRgOhT.jpg]
[Image: yntin9k.jpg]

Some animal sketching and portraits 

[Image: 01ICGwS.jpg]
[Image: 0rxPyRE.jpg]
[Image: q2HUP0z.jpg]
Portrait likeness still a bit sucky but I'll get into it againn

Some composition thumbnailing 
[Image: cCFPGnT.jpg]

And some character design stuff for the portfolio 

[Image: 5UK0ecp.jpg][Image: uW64g5k.jpg][Image: Cp1cBpf.jpg][Image: dB8aKS4.jpg]

And a character design based on Mercury, and i'll probably do some for the rest of the planets 
i kinda dig the style, ill see where i can take it 
[Image: nlCYiuC.jpg]

Drain gang
holy shit T__T amazing designs... The designs for the Judge is just insane...! Sweet batch as usual. I like the little Mucha-esque design element in the mercury girls hair.

Keep it coming :D no real critique this time, you're doing great

Thanks boss! :D

Drain gang
You've got some great work and studies here,
the pigs and portraits are really nice, If you haven't already, you might enjoy checking out Dave Malan's portraits.
The ideas n the concepts are great, the judges are all sweet.
Something about the balance of shapes and proportions feels a little under developed in some over the pieces. Please don't take offence, they are really nice already
I just think there not far off from hitting the next plateau of awesome.

The other thing that I feel from looking at a few examples of your work is tentative overlaps, a tendency for tangents, quite flat unidirectional planes of action

Again, just nit picking. plenty of skill visible in your work
more power to you

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
@xelfereht Thanks! Yeah, Dave is freaking awesome. And completely you're right about the things lacking, im tryna improve upon pushing shapes and proportions. If you have time, you can critique some particular painting or design of mine, I love getting crits and i also feel like im close to lvling up, any help with it is welcome!
Thanks again! :D

Drain gang
(07-23-2020, 04:09 PM)ognjiša Wrote: @xelfereht Thanks! Yeah, Dave is freaking awesome. And completely you're right about the things lacking, im tryna improve upon pushing shapes and proportions. If you have time, you can critique some particular painting or design of mine, I love getting crits and i also feel like im close to lvling up, any help with it is welcome!
Thanks again! :D

Maybe this wasnt as much a serious or developed one but i felt like playing with it anyway.

Just tried to push it as i might do
tried to add some thoughtful over laps that will still read clear at a distance and some details to
boost the potential for wanting to look at it for longer, the suggestion that hey theres more to see
by using a less even distribution of detail level throughout
tried to get a little bit more force and interest in the pose. bit of dimension with a bit more foreshortening 
looking back through your work a bit further im noticing
your rendered digital work has allot of softness in almost all  the poses while your traditional has some very nice
force behind the poses.

might have something to do with the consistency of your strokes, somewhere in the rendering
its getting a bit uniform and some of the gesture is being subdued to the determent of the piece
I think the spacing of visual shapes including within forms is often getting too uniform

I dunno how helpful this is but hey its here lol

Ill might do some more paintovering. I should be doing client work right now lol the guilt
but I am keen to also work out why your work is reading to me the way it is
[Image: po_onj2_by_andrew_gibbons_de1ulka-pre.jp...ZdwGbbGUDI]

[Image: po_onj_by_andrew_gibbons_de1umg3-pre.jpg...IpezQQ8E8M]
in case a side by side is more helpful

OK, so i really like the design of this piece
I just had a play with where I would take it if it were my own
I played with the size and shape of the cloth and sword but other than that it was mostly a bit of push pull, trying to add a bit of depth and bring attention to particular moments in the painting.
i think the tiny addition of highlights giving it that bit of glow goes a long way, as well as giving the gems and eye a bit more variance in texture.
very minimally worked on some tangents, sometimes you dont need to move the stuff as much as just distinguish it from whats next to it by value or detail.
I pointed to eye towards the hammer to keep the viewer cycling around the main areas of interest
rather than looking off the page somewhere.
adjusted the open finger just  little to give a slight bit more interest n the negative space there 

It maybe just wanted a tad more strength and weight, guiding through focal points and a bit of pop with some glow, breaking up the consistent form rendering
just my take on things anyway
hope its of use in some way. Really like the piece
portfolio material for sure
[Image: po_ogjinsha_by_andrew_gibbons_de1uon8-pr...Jebuci3URg]

Gif version to see exactly where i altered it
[Image: de1uoni-77ffff05-7e74-4277-a36c-a3e42b97...gyYpkt23BI]

Hey dudee, thanks for that paintover! It's really nice overall but i particularly dig what you did with the eye! Pushing the darks was also a pretty good idea, the form is much stronger with that. Thanks again, Imma be doing another one tomorrow and I'll be sure to keep your crit in mind! : D
Edit: oh shiet i didn't see the 1st paintover, i really don't like that painting, but thank you for exploring ways it could be better!

Drain gang
Your characters exhibit so much personality. I’m digging your newest ones. It looks like something you’d see in Kingdom hearts or FF. I feel stronger just looking at your sketchbook. Cheers!

I would love feedback on my Sketchbook
(07-24-2020, 05:19 AM)ognjiša Wrote: Hey dudee, thanks for that paintover! It's really nice overall but i particularly dig what you did with the eye!  Pushing the darks was also a pretty good idea, the form is much stronger with that. Thanks again, Imma be doing another one tomorrow and I'll be sure to keep your crit in mind! : D
Edit: oh shiet i didn't see the 1st paintover, i really don't like that painting, but thank you for exploring ways it could be better!

all good, i knew that piece was a rougher one, I just felt like having a mess around.
when messing with the judge one, could really feel how slight the need for painting was, it's kind of the case where I feel you just need some icing and sprinkles in your pieces 
a bit of working out the shape n shape shapeception of things
the thinks that make people go, I like the sparkles while youre thinking to yourself.. what about the 10 hours of rendering before that one brush stroke..

hey well its not such a bad thing, icing without the cake is pretty gross so..

@kvsketch thanks dude!

and yeah, thanks again Andrew!

Here's a little update, I'm gonna try to be a bit more frequent with these 

Portrait studies 

[Image: lbl1ZUn.jpg]

[Image: ZAR89gN.jpg]

Comp studies, mainly from movie stills 

[Image: ZthFZgX.jpg]

[Image: GKDtWEN.jpg]

And some process for a new character, the Doctor 

[Image: znH6pIO.jpg][Image: we232w0.jpg][Image: wpQ2xQW.jpg][Image: Pak3ATN.jpg]
Still got a ways to go but should be done tomorrow,  i'll try to think a bit more stroke-y when i start flashing him out
work work

Drain gang
I really like you grey approch almost look like a 3d render specially the glove for some reason.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thanks darkiste, im trying to vary up the process a bit!

Drain gang