Mochiman's sketchbook
Those ellipse are mostly looking great.Good job.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I thought they came out better on the first page. Doing ellipses inside ellipses is really hard. But I guess that's one of the areas that you just need to practice over a long period to build that hand eye coordination.
Don't really feel that successful with this batch of the texture exercise. Interpreting them is pretty challenging.

Yup, tried my hand at those texture exercises last year and boy they were headscratching ha ha. I think you are doing fine! Doing all the right things. Many are starting to look quite well! I would say if you go the box building way, have you gone over perspective already? The skying shuttle with copter turbines feels asymmetrical at the mo but could be the viewing point, or that you are doing it on purpose ha ha.
Are you going for industrial design? Or doing this to learn construction in general?
The helicopter thing is just a mistake yeah. I have studied perspective but it was a couple years ago before I burned out so I do need to refresh on some stuff that would be helpful in sketches like these. Believe there was some stuff in Scott Robertsons book I remember doing about projecting to the other side of the form so it stays symmetrical in perspective.

I'm just doing this to learn construction and get some mileage in building my visual library really. I don't have any career goals atm.
I recommend visit drawabox.com they have a section about texturing that i find is even more in depth than peter han content on the subject.I would say try to have your texture scale longer in lenght and go more toward almost no texture when you reach the right side of the scale because there not enough of the texture being wash away in your scale right now you need to understand that texture under strong light get wash away because what create the texture is the local shadow.Texture are affected in many way it can be affected by the form it therefor change the silhouette of the object or by the light it change the exposure and wash away the texture in midtone revealing the most texture and shadowing wash away the texture.The distance between the textured object and the viewer also play a role the closer the object is the =higher density of detail the further it get away the more detail get lost.

It can be resume into 3 letter FLD or FORM,LIGHTING,DISTANCE this help remind yourself what affect your texture.

My Sketchbook
Yeah I have peter hans book and the stuff on texture is pretty limited in it. Will revisit that lesson of Draw a Box.
Just some random stuff

Well all i can say is keep making those plane more complex and you won't have trouble to create your own imaginated stuff aslong as you have imagination.Just avoid the straight wing confort zone and learn to estimate the curvature in perspective and it gonna pay big time.What kind of perspective do you for those sketchmost of the time? linear perspective and 1 point perspective?

My Sketchbook
I try to mix it up between both 1 and 2 but I do have a preference for the views you get in 2. I am faking it though in this stuff so it's not as accurate as it would be with a proper grid. I don't really use 3 a lot currently. You're right about the wings though. Planes don't really have the straight wings all that often. I used some stuff from Scott Robertson's book to help me on the bug wings for the bug plane so I definitely wanna try to do that more on normal aircraft from imagination.
Your lines seem to have been getting quite a lot better on this last ones, and the forms. Everything looks more grounded. You may want to jump onto 3pp, since it will give you some more punch to things and also Scott's way to do things doesn't work as good there (don't quote me on this I never really grasped all the reasoning behind it but it falls apart a bit the diagonal thing to divide space equally, I may just be doing things wrong tho ha ha.)
Alright you are building visual library, to what kind of artwork would you want to use that knowledge for? What kind of pieces would you like to make?
Think my lines just look better because I've started using a brush pen I bought recently. You're right that I should use 3pp more. I only actually use a few of SR's techniques for these as even he doesn't recommend doing the full x-y-z system from his book when doing observation drawing. I'm guessing it's because 3pp can easily look really distorted which can look cool but maybe makes the accuracy techniques less useful? I dunno. Not sure how It would be used on curved forms like planes but tanks should work well.

That final question is a good one and a hard one. I'm not really sure how to answer as I haven't really thought about it a lot. In a general sense Comics and illustration/painting interest me most currently. For illustrations I like the fantasy and sci-fi work from guys like James Gurney and Karl Kopinski and my comic/manga taste tends to be pretty broad. Sorry I don't think this is a great answer but i'll think about it more.
So many studies! Hey Mochiman, keep working hard, but i dont think that is a problem for you, doesn't seems like it at least :) I also have a feeling you might be aware of feng zhu and his videos, those perspective studies are exactly what he teaches on his youtube and his school, among others of course. He is a great teacher and his videos are very helpfull, that's for sure. And if you never heard about him, I can easily recommend his videos!
I have watched a bit of Feng Zhu but don't think I've seen his videos on that topic. Will have to look them up for sure. I tend to get stressed or burn out easily so keeping the work going is a challenge for me.

Simplifying less rigid stuff like rocks is pretty hard too

Not a super productive or focused day. 

(06-07-2020, 02:15 PM)Mochiman Wrote: Simplifying less rigid stuff like rocks is pretty hard too
Seriously ha ha, you got quite a chuckle out of me with that statement, in a good way! Rocks, not being rigid and is "hard" to do ha ha ha. Perfect.

They look okay, I think rocks to draw them you might want to mass things out and break them into pieces. Start big shapes and go into smaller things, like the texture exercises from drawabox. But honestly just keep at it, maybe try to grab a rock and draw the different stages of abstraction? Like draw the rock the simplest way possible you can imagine, then draw it again but a bit more detail, then again and some more until you think there's too much detail or you don't want to go further, see how they look to you that way, where do you struggle.

Keep it up man!
Yeah I can do something like that. Will work it in soon.
Just some planes from imagination

Same as last post