Walent's sketchbook
@Gliger: Yup, I see what you're talking about. I'm definitely ignoring hair. I rarely study hair the way I study everything else, meaning at an analytical level. I think that's because I have so many other things I need to focus on, my list is long. Still having issues with portraits, so that's definitely more important than hair, but yes, will have to address that too at some point.

(03-04-2020, 01:52 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: I can see what Gliger is saying about hair. I don't think there's an imminent need for you to work on it though, because it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that humans are just not your favorite subject matter

They are. Maybe I'm just taking this subject too seriously, while something like a mechanical study looks more fun because I play a lot and don't stress too much about it.

-

Been thinking about this basic figure drawing course I want to record. It's been in my head for quite a while and I think it's the easiest way for me to evolve and reach the level where I wanna be. And since all my other plans are cancelled because of the covidiots apocalypse, I might have enough time to actually get on with it.

Hope you guys are ok, and hope you're staying in, unlike most brainless people around my city.

Awesome sketches as usual dude.

Looking forward to your figure drawing tutorial :).

Hope you're keeping well - take care.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(03-25-2020, 06:02 AM)Artloader Wrote: Awesome sketches as usual dude.

Looking forward to your figure drawing tutorial :).

Hope you're keeping well - take care.

Thanks man!

Ups and downs during quarantine, trying to get more stuff done while not getting burned out.
Hope everyone is well

There's a lot to learn from these sketches! :) Thanks for sharing :)
Hope you're doing well too!

You're an inspiration man. your knowledge of form is on point!

Just spent a while flipping through- your studies are very inspiring! Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely check back often :)

(04-19-2020, 01:26 AM)neopatogen Wrote: There's a lot to learn from these sketches! :) Thanks for sharing :)
Hope you're doing well too!

Thanks, Neo!

(04-19-2020, 02:02 AM)DESQUOLOR Wrote: You're an inspiration man. your knowledge of form is on point!

Glad to hear! Thanks!

(04-19-2020, 03:50 AM)_spec Wrote: Just spent a while flipping through- your studies are very inspiring! Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely check back often :)

Happy to hear that, let's hope I can post more often too

-

Jesus Christ i love your stuff man

Drain gang
insane good shit as usual!

This what you call an analysis sketchbook.But gosh i wish you would commit to finish some piece more often...with you art style i feel like it hard to understand how far your rendering skill are at .Is it just my imagenation or is this an issue you agree on?

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thanks, everyone!

@darktiste: I don't really care much about rendering, it's other things I'm focusing on (at least at the moment) like simplification, quick sketching, composition. I do have some rendered pieces, some for clients (that I can't show) and some personal that you can see on my Artstation. After I feel super comfortable with composing and sketching quick poses and coming up with fast design iterations, then I might consider focusing more on rendering, but you still won't see photoreal rendering from me.

-

Damn dude your sketchbook never ceases to amaze me! I was wondering with your updates how much of it are studies and how much of it is inventive work?

(06-01-2020, 01:38 AM)Peter Wrote: Damn dude your sketchbook never ceases to amaze me! I was wondering with your updates how much of it are studies and how much of it is inventive work?

Thanks man! Most of what I post here is from ref, studies and practices. I'll try posting more concept stuff.

-

I'm still super frustrated with portraits. They all start out sloppy and I have to spend time to constantly adjust proportions and shapes. Seems that I am still in need of more accuracy practice. Or maybe it's just about taking my time with it.
I'm also trying not to copy every shape from ref anymore, but rather try to turn those into shapes that are actually appealing to me.
On a three-quarter-view portrait, the line of the face on the far end is always super complex, a lot of forms meet along that line, so being conscious about simplifying that one has been a huge AHA moment for me.

Really good stuff as always Vlad! Don't feel frustrated, those portraits are awesome!

Drain gang
I love your rendering so much! portraits are looking really great! truly inspiring sketchbook

Great sketches here! Your armored characters have so much interest and real weight to them. Good stuff for concept work!
there's so much visual appeal on even your roughest work.
hope you're getting the kind of work you enjoy and getting pad well for it.
really nice stuff

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(07-05-2020, 06:27 PM)ognjiša Wrote: Really good stuff as always Vlad! Don't feel frustrated, those portraits are awesome!

Thanks! Oh yeah, I've been posting the decent portraits, but the other 100 or so sucked so bad hahaha, that's where the frustration comes from

(07-19-2020, 10:29 AM)xelfereht Wrote: there's so much visual appeal on even your roughest work.
hope you're getting the kind of work you enjoy and getting pad well for it.
really nice stuff

Thanks! I always love it when I help viewers understand what sketches are all about. That pure energy that gets entirely lost at a tightly rendered stage. And people still ask why I don't like finishing stuff.
Also, getting paid for the kind of work you love is pretty rare and I'm not quite there yet. I'm close, though.

-

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the comments

Why you believe you aren't there yet.I know what you mean by loving to communicate idea more than rendered stuff i think it just important to have also some rendered piece in a portfolio as to show you can push your idea more if need be.That just my two cent for to day.Ultimately if you orient your portfolio to have some balance you will get to work on what you like but let be also honest it not as glamourous as one might thinking you gotta love to draw the boring stuff also as a concept artist if that what your aiming for.Not only does your work need to be clear it also need to be appealing and it where a lil rendering seal the deal.Remember that it might look clear but it the viewer who is the judge. Yes it sad to lose the energy of sketch but it part of the problem you have to solve yourself checking that your not working to tight.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
@darktiste: By "not there yet" I meant I still don't fully enjoy commissions even if they're for some of my fav IPs like Diablo. Maybe I haven't found the right kind of job yet, no idea.
A lot to talk about this topic, maybe I'll revisit, because right now I just wanna relax.