smrrfette's Odyssey
You have a good sence of color and values.I'd suggest you to focus a bit on anatomy,proportions.And edge control.I think your works will benefit from it greatly.Keep it up

Sweet stuff.. how do you manage to keep your studies so fresh? Do you work on a time limit?

Bjulvar - aww yea! For the sake of ridiculous helms ;) thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to try it out in my next sketches ヽ(;^o^ヽ)

Danar - heya! Haha thanks you! I'm still poop scared of colours though, but working my fist up its butt lololo

Fedodika - yeah for sure, Fedodika! Whoa damn. That sucks D: thanks for letting that sink in... hum ~

BenFlores - ooh indeed I have, though I read it when I didn't understand anything at all about drawing or painting... lol. Oooh yep, gotta re-read it for sure! Thanks you! ^ ^"

Rindoukan - hey thar! Yeeeep, I agree, my proportions suck aaaaaaaasss (in fact, I was thinking that tonight at life drawing) - gotta work on that, and ooh yes edge control... bring it on! ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ “ Thanks for the critz <3

Kaffer - thanks man :J no I just work on something until I don't feel like I'm learning much else than what I aimed to learn... if you get me? o: hope that helps!

Thanks for stopping by guys :D!

Imagination poops, really just mucking around. Trying to see and paint form - hence why everything's still in boring grayscale... colour tomorrow!
A char generated chic that I spent too long on and didn't get anywhere - though I learned heaps about what my problem areas are!

poops!

a quick, quick still life about 10-20mins:

self portraits! 30mins, 45mins, 1hour (whatta manly head. :|) none of them look like me lul.

Couple of studies I did while at Bateman's Bay -- wish I could've done a lot more... but there really wasn't time at all:
enviro study and a 30min still life poop (wasn't thinking. Wake up)

unfinished Honda CBX motorbike engine study

sketchbook pages #1

sketchbook pages #2

muscle studies - Loomis & Hogarth

Applying what I learned and a couple of Hogarth basic figures

and another sketchbook page before life drawing sesh began

and lastly - life drawing! Tried to apply some negative space this time 'round (thanks again for the tip Samszym!) though I failed.
I also experimented. Used a pencil for a start - and mostly used it on its side. My brain hurts once more after a good life drawing sesh.
I feel maybe I should target areas of the figure that I suck at instead of drawing the whole figure in some of the longer time slots? Idk.
Sorry about the shite quality... the lighting looked manageable when I took the photos... sigh.

what a boring update :D I need to do some colour work pronto!

Anyways, that's it for now - can't wait for tomorrow! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Uuugh those sweet anatomy studies with pencil. Makes my art boner hard.

But seriously, keep it up Smrr!

Your linework? I like it (i mean, how it moves/plays around the form). Been trying to do the same, but it only seem to work with ink (which is hard to use when it comes to rendering).

crackedskull - LOL one of the best comments I've gotten xD thanks cracked! 048

txchris - yeaaaah... I still have a long-ass way to go with my line work D: that's good to hear, don't sweat it, I'm very sure it'll click soon for you!

(goddammit) grayscale self-portrait - the lighting kept changing out of my window, I didn't know what to do ಥ_ಥ

rock study over at: #SpeedpaintStudies on ze deviantART
I'm not even kidding, PS crapped itself 3 times while I was painting this -.-

Aaand applying the study ~45mins-1hr?

round two of rock studyin'
oh aaaand PS crapped itself twice here... why I oughta...
[Image: mNAfh.gif]

and wip sketch...
I'm thinking I might finish it... I'm feeling dat inspiration poking me on the back of the neck..? o_o

damn, I should've done heaaaaaaps more today. Fffffuu--.

goal tomorrow - finish/near-finish wip, more rocks (before-hand), coloured self-portrait, portrait study, apply from imagination.

sketchbook | pg 52

Love that second rock study; you really nailed that reflective light. Nice atmosphere in the landscape piece above ol' Hugh Laurie too.

Fuuuuuck meeee...you produce so much of the goddamn goods, makes my sketchboook look like it's on a diet...

Lovely pencils as always (:

Wow, the latest studies are pretty awesome. :D

You really do have a great sense of color that I kinda envy. And I'm really in love with the pencil selfportrait attempt from the last page, I have no idea if it looks like you or not, but it's lovely.

And the colors on that first dude from #181, man, if you have any drive to finish him whatsoever, I think it would make an awesome piece, just as the guy standing on one leg in post #195.

Well, since I could probably write a wall of text on each post you make, I'll stop now and just say you do awesome work, keep it up!
Is it some noise-brush w/ color dynamics on the last rock study? Interesting effect :)

Ignatz - whoa, thank you man! :D

Mannyhaatz - wahahah I lol'd -- thanks you Th_084_ keep up man! Keep up!

MajaD - wooooow! Hahaha thank you! Making me feel all warm and mushy and stuff ^ ^" I've definitely thought about finishing that dude - but I wasn't happy with my skills back then.... may in the near future though!

Kaffer - Yeah some of the brushes I used had some noise on it, :D experimenting is super fun! I didn't use any colour dynamics on 'em though. Thanks man!

Today's

Attempted another rock study - failed, stopped 30mins in - now I know which rocks I need to study laaaaaterrrrrrr

Worked on this piece more!

Then I couldn't help but do arm studies from Bridgman this time... I know, I know - stop with the studies! But I plan on painting arms a lot better from imagination, so I just had to!

Aaand applying what I learned -
I wanted to do more sketchbook pages but I was running out of time in the day -_-

Aaaand I really wanted to do this this skull study, which I spent a good amount of time on. I need to do more skull studies, if it'll help with drawing and painting faces, let's do this! the ref was from Suzanne Helmigh's first assignment, just one of those little thumbnail model skulls. I got what I wanted out of it and then got the hell out of there.

Also:

aww yeaaaaaa I'm so kool gaiz lololo Th_057_

anywayayays. I'm buggered.

come at me, sun!

sketchbook | pg 52

hey first of all thank you for the coment:)
you have a great sketchbook here! i like your portraits and the last skull is fantastic
my brushwork is better than yours? never i would be really happy if i were able to paint a skull like you did^^
anyways its not about who`s better right?

keep up the great work i`m looking forward for more!
Love your brushstrokes girl. Teach me your secrets :D (the rock and skull studies are specially nice!)

For the pencil/charcoal ones, I'd suggest trying to solve it all in one clean sweep of the pencil. At least for the quick gestural ones :)

{edit}
Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk This exercises may help :D

Those rock studies are awesome.

thanks for stoping by and looking at my sketch book earlier! :)
man do you put out a lot of stuff...good stuff...great stuff! its obvious you have the passion.
i really liked your rock studies btw and that skull was really awesome! keep it coming!

Wow you're getting really good at painting O_O
awesome stuff smrrfette, love the rock studies

BVB - Hey man! No worries ^o^ thanks you and you are most correct, I didn't intend it way, honest! Keep up the good man!

Ursula Dorada - aaah <3 <3 thank you! And lotsa thank yous for the feedback and vid, I'll be sure to check it out and see if I can fix dem lines :D

Prabu - woot! Thanks man!

ando_commando - Not a problemo, Commando *salutes* <: thanks you! And lol yep, I guess I do have a little bit of passion haha :D

Samszym - thanks Sam O: means a lot, really!

Vent sesh!

Today started out really well and then went down hill after the self-portrait (which I didn't manage to fully finish either) -- pardon my French, but my fucking arm has started wincing and being a little bitch again not being able to keep up with the work I give it. I do yoga, I stretch it 4 times an hour and 5mins every hour and it seems to have prickled its way back with a vengeance :/ fuck fuck fuck.

I hate. This. If there's a superpower I want aside from being able to function healthily without the need of sleep, it'd be that I developed Popeye's right arm. Just his right one. I only need that awesome strength in one arm!

Siiiigh. So now I gotta see the doctors some time soon - probs take it a bit easier 'til then, though if I feel better tomorrow (pleasepleasepleaseple) I'll be at it as usual, but super mindful.

And so it decides to strike back when I start getting the hang of some things...

So yeah, fuck.
</vent>

Self-portrait 5 (I was meant to do another but noooooooo)

sketchy poo (I planned on finishing... but noooooooooo)

was going to finish this once and for all :D... but but bu-no.

then I got started on this face from imagination - omg with colour as well! But you know - I just... I just couldn't because fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu---!

So all of these are pretty much w.i.p's
... ugh.

Yep it was a wonderful day 088

But you know what?
I don't care. I. Don't. Care!
Keep hurling this crap at me universe, I'll just grow hungrier as you grow weaker HAHA corny.
Srsly though, bring it. I ain't quitting.

sketchbook | pg 52

Today I spent creating a better ergonomic set-up for myself and read a bit more of Robert Henri's The Art Spirit (astounding book, recommend it!)
But managed to work a bit more on this one as a test of how the setup is. Not bad so far! *fingers crossed*
about ~2hours in now:

Still going to the doc's next week though
I think I just need to stretch more, find more exercises and whanot

Giving myself a bit of a break and going bowling and karaoke with the friends ^o^
Keep powering on, daggers!

sketchbook | pg 52

Oo cool to see someone else reading that book too, it's so good! Yesss, gotta take care of that arm. Or you can go Hannes style and draw with your left hand or holding the stylus in your mouth :) But in all seriousness, good on you for being mindful of that stuff. It's completely not worth it to destroy your health. Nice development on that last portrait also, the forms are reading well!

Remain observational, seeing as your claw is fucked. I'd take any excuse to stop scribbling and look at the things around me.

Your hands are just the tools you have to learn to use, it's your brain that puts together an image and shows you the beauty of it. You'll learn without doing, and when you can do again, you may hesitate because you'll have learned so much appreciation for the things we're training ourselves to imitate. Listen to the doctor, a week or two without a stylus is worth it, even if you didn't have carpal tunnel syndrome hanging over your future self. Which it seems you do.