smrrfette's Odyssey
Hey smrrfette! You got some very nice stuff in here. The studies look pretty good and you have an interesting approach with your brush work. The last selfportrait is also cool. Nice edges around the corners of the nose and moutharea. Good luck with your arm and take care of it, you just got that one. I also agree with Finnjamin, that you can use ure time productive also without drawing directly. Make research for good resosurces, read books and watch documentarys to support your visual library and spend time with close people you usually don´t have too much time for when study. So I hope your new setup works better and your arm starts obeying again ;)

Hi smrrfette

You have some awesome art going on in here, getting better with each piece.
I really like the nuance between soft and rough in your shapes, it breaks any monotony.

Sorry to read about your arm. I know when something you cant really control gets in the way of your endeavors like that it can drive you mad and looking at your efforts you clearly don't deserve that.

Really hope it gets better asap so you can keep up the good work!

smurf wen your arm starts working again and it starts to hurt when drawing just stop for about 15 mins and wait until you feel like really anxious to work again; i hate it too these gd hand cramps i feel like they are a danger to my drawing career. but if my right arm gives out i'll go lefty and if i lose that one too i'll draw with my FEET!
smrrfette your painting technique is maaaaaadddd!!! Studies and Wips are gorgeous!!
Best wishes for your arm, keep it up!
(Pogo ftw!!!! And i have to admit, im a fan of your comment gifs! so cuuuute!)

I'm lovin' your work smrrfette, especially the studies!
Hopefully your arm will get better soon so you can move on with the epicness!
Btw, what program do you use for your digitals?
Finnjamin - hey man, thanks - yeah I did remain observational, though I should've stayed focussed in art-mode a lot more when I was out of the game. Yeah I also see some kind of arm-fucking syndrome in my future, yay :D! Though when I can afford it, I'm going to buy a cintiq and see if that helps.

Matthias Kinnigkeit - heya Matthias! Thanks man :D yeah, better to look after it than lose it so early ~ yeeeah, I have to admit it was nice spending quality time with those I can't be with when I'm studying

Yann.F - hey there Yann! Thanks you :D it meant a lot reading your comment ~ someone noticing improvement O: awesomeeee! But yeah, dem feels haha. Thanks again! So happy to be back!

Fedodika - Fedodododododikaaaaaaa! Hahaha your comment made me schmile <: good tip, I'm starting to take longer breaks, whatever helps mhm ^ ^

TonariNoPunpun - Oooh thank you muchly! Hehe I need to work way more from imagination though ~ and woot! Pogo = <3 and HAHA thaaaaanks c;

ragnarok - heya ragnarok, thanks man! Yeah, slowly but surely if I take it easy. Ooh, just good ol' Photoshop. CS6 to be precise ~ lets keep kicking dat buttocks!

I'm back woo! 059

So here's today so far (it's about 22:45) - getting back into the gist of things now that my arm is recovering. Taking even more breaks, etc, etc.

morning sketch ~

head prac 1

character using the char generator ¬¬ first one in colour :D

spitpaints Hulk vs. The Thing:

I hated that ^ within 2mins of posting in the group and redid it later in the day:

head practise 2

page from head

Yeeeeaaah, I'm going to be doing a helluva lot more imagination sketches and stuff because shiiiiiieeeet I realised a butt-tonne of things I need to work on tomorrow!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
i like the guy on the bottom sketch with the long neck, he reminds me of this jock i went to school with who kinda looked like i dunno, just tiny eyes he had a funny face!

also try propping your arm on like the desk that your tablet is on, or like a stool next to it, if you're not already doing that!
Heeey, great stuff in your sketchbook. love all the studies ;3 also i look forward to see some more refined work. keep pushing ;3

Fedodika - hahahaha, he sounds hilarious! Oh that position was surprisingly what screwed it. Doc said I need to try and keep my elbow off the desk or armrest lol so I'm screwed either way xD

ramalooke - heya ramalooke! Thanks man :) same here haha working on it :) will do!

Imagination stuff todaaaaay which I'm... on the fence about. On the one hand, I'm doing imaginative work, on the other, most of them are just brainless, generic, dead sketches. So I need to fix that.
gotta work on drapery, designs as well as proportion (do you even Loomis?)

Some wips in there

[
quick sketch before bed depicting my current mood lul:

sketchbook | pg 52

Those characters have so much life to them! keep up the awesome work :D

One thing I noticed is that your skin tones are kind of desaturated, adding in some hue variation and bumping up the saturation in the midtones would help I think!

keyboards busted, brb blogging through phone
Okay!
devin - thank you man! And thank youuuuu for the critz! Couldn't agree more Thumbs_up - gotta work on skin tones so bad

So today I learned: fuck brainless sketches and not finishing things :D. I also learned (again) to observe from life. Been neglecting that and I do regret it. Time to make some adjustments to my schedule - now thatl I've learned the real importance of balance between study and imaginative work... and it only took me 10months YAY LOL.
I also need to stop overthinking things and focus on the present because I know how much I need to learn in the future... and its overwhelming. Gotta simplify things. Take one day at a time.

Also you wouldn't believe how much slower your work flow can be without a keyboard lol, even with my wacom setup nice and swift... its still a pain in the ass!

So today:
turned a scan into a bullshit sketch which ended up turning into a Watch Dogs fan art piece kinda. Not happy with it at all, gave up as per usual but learnt from it.

Bleh sketch and a wip that I'm determined to finish for once
COME AT ME FEARS.. in the words of Duke Nukem: I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck auehueahaha

sketchbook | pg 52

SMRFETTE SMRFETTE! i love your sb because it kinda reminds me of the hannes sketchbook (bold statement though, hannes was insane and he was the only person with more posts in his sb than pictures); just gettin CRAZY TILL IT HERTS KEEP GOIN gal u got it.

I WANN SEE A FINISHED PIECE!!
Great work Smrfette! It's great to see your progress! I have to agree with Fedodika, I'd love to see a finished piece :D
Hey Smruftureurette!
Glad to hear that your hand is walking the path of recovery! You're still improving fast and steady, I think it's most visible in your brushwork and forms. Really like that old guy in green with a big sword. Nice character to him and I can imagine some oriental post-apocalyptic setting!

I can totally sympathize with issues of balance of study and imaginative work. Can't say that I've come to any conclussion yet. But I think it's important to do what you feel is right and never worry about the things that you are not doing. I've learned the most while struggling through pieces. A lot of problems stem from the ego wanting to be as good as it can get in the exact moment it thinks of it's goals! Just sow all the seeds you can and they will bear fruit in the future.
Keep kicking butt as usual :D

Oh c'mon! I didn't visit this place for like 3 days? Look how much work you produced. Damn. I really need to put you as an example and move my ass =d Keep pushing!

ugh gotta buy a new keybooaard, brb phone!
]
alright!

Fedodika - whoa whoa whoas, I wouldn't go that far lol but how so? Haha thank you thank you thankyoutankyoughabksssyoyuuiruha l, means a lot! I shan't and won't stoppeth! :k

Crone - whaddup Crone!? Haha I have to agree myself -- working on finishing things (well, to the best of my ability) from now on :D it'll keep me from pulling brainless sketches out of my butt haha plus you do learn a tonne finishing things ~ thanks you!

Bjuuulvararararawwwr - haha I had so much more planned for that dude before I gave up on it... might go back to it soon! Aaaaah ~ thank you for for the support
man! :) Yeah I think I found one of my biggest fears that I've gotta overcome... not being able to finish a piece up to standard. The feeling of unknowing etc. So it's about time I face it! Yep lets keep kicking dat ass ;)

ramalooke - lolololo , you can totally keep up, I believe in you and your sexy art! :D

Sooooo observation!
Still life, about 2hours. Took my time, perving on it.
MMA dude study... dayum. Learned loads
aaand worked on le zombie "football" piece s'more Not sure about the Dark Knightish figure on the building yet... we'll see how silly my mind gets as it progresses I guess...?
GONNA FINISH IT YEEEAAAA
Night dags lol "dags " ... can't really nickname... anyways
P.s. wow that took an hour to type on my shitey phone :D !

sketchbook | pg 52

Really cool work, nice thick looking brush strokes.

CoreyH - thanks man! ^ ^"

Must. Buy. New. Working. Keyboard.
J:<

Didn't get much done AT ALL today *sigh* spent the whole day cleaning the house, like the woman that I am lul
so, worked on this a bit more... trying to get the anatomy at least a bit better, mm, though, if I really wanted that, the zombies whole figure would be deleted.
I wanna try to near finish it tomorrow:

and quick sketches before bed
digging the dude on the thingo, might work that more:

sketchbook | pg 52

I love the dynamic in your works and the emotions! keep it up! You are awesome! :)
mat04art - haha thanks man :)!

Got a NEW MOTHER FUSKING KEYBOARD, YEEEEA-!
That was the highlight of today.

I joke!

Hmm, so not much to show today... anatomy study,

worked some more on the zombie piece - didn't get to finish it yet, but at least I haven't given up on it ~

and 5min mock up for next piece (still needs work)

visitors are coming over tomorrow - looks like it's going to be a sketchbook day :D

Night daggers

p.s. I freakin' hate daylight savings. Losing an hour sucks ass.

sketchbook | pg 52