BLOODSPORT 14- BeastMasters!
That thread is even hotter than the previous one, keep up guys, I'll show you what I'm on soon :p

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
Looking good :)

Heres a study and quick thumb i did.

[Image: bat_study_by_moonskinned-d5z7eup.jpg]

[Image: bs_14_thumb_by_moonskinned-d5z7euo.jpg]

Cj_marsh- thank you for feedback! I think it is time to start working on design. Value studie:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So I settled for the Hedgehog because I haven't really seen that before (except for Sonic, but he's blue and doesn't count!). I've been wanting to draw something that's not really the ideal muscle-guy so I'm aiming for someone a little bit thicker :D

Having tons of fun researching this though. But I don't have a badass name like Bison Brawler or Hyena Huntress yet. Probably Hunky Hedgehog, or not.

oh wow. this is so good. Though I'm entering a bit late. I'll do my best to finish this up. So far I've been having so much fun! :)

Studies coming up next I think and/or compositions. I never drew much animals, so this is fun! And my composition skills are just retarded so I'm expecting to learn a lot from this! Thanks for making me push myself harder! :)

And here is the exploration phase for now. we'll see how it goes

[Image: tumblr_mk83vzwmvv1rlavnuo1_1280.jpg]

Here's some brainstorming :P

I think I'm gonna stick with the Wolf.

current WIP:

Wow so much great work already! Heer's some studies and thumb comps Ive done. Probably do more comps as I feel the ones I like aren't conveying a sense of power.

a 2 hour photo study. i'm going with the wild boar

[Image: lewisboar_zpse24a7995.jpg]
and here are two studies I did of lions! raaaaaawr. :) more to come!

[Image: tumblr_mk8boySqTX1rlavnuo1_1280.jpg]

Look, a character is done! I mean the design. Will put some basic colors on this later. But for know- creatuah!

Good job so far everybody, lets keep it up!

After today painting:

I greatly approve of Hunky Hedgehog I must say! I did some MINOR adjustments to the designs of Hyena Huntress and did composition sketches today :-) Backgrounds will be minimalistic since time is a factor for this challenge and I want two seperate illustrations.

Oh and thanks Cj for the crit!

Things are lookin' awesome! some really impressive developments in this bloodsports.

This post is me throwing my hat into the ring.

The Slothurai!

Studies, Beast mode concepts, Human mode concepts.

I'll power through a couple more studies and create some comp thumbnails next.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)
hey ChaosTheory, you could replace that whip with a flail (: much more baddass.

Great work everyone! This is my first attempt at Bloodsports. Going for an aquatic oddball for my character. First ref image attached.
Things seem to keep rolling for everyone. That's nice!
I'm ending the day with a beast form concept for my boar fighter/wereboar.

[Image: boarfighter_zps7ea8f9b8.jpg]
Hey guys, it's my first time around, so nice to meet you! Really interesting to see everybody's creative process and stuff. I'm gonna start by telling about my ideas until now.

I was exploring options and thought about the boundaries of what is considered a creature or monster. I was thinking about sea animals, and then realized the sea itself is a nice subject. I'm playing with the idea of a monster made of water (like a sea troll from Discworld, or a water elemental), and maybe integrate a variety of animals in it's design, and consequently on the armor.

For the human, I'm taking visual elements from Poseidon and mermen, but I'm really excited about a lunatic old sailor kind of character. Still exploring though. Here is a shitty picture of my early sketches:

[Image: 16aryfm.jpg]

To give some general feedback to you guys, I particularly like the composition studies. It's something I'm not used to do so methodically, but I'll definitely try it this time.

One thing I'm gonna question is the purpose of the "value studies" some of you put a lot of time on. Copying a photograph 1x1 seems redundant to me, unless you're studying pure brushwork. A better way to understand value and shape is to put the subject in a different lighting setup, in different positions, and/or use restrictions like time constraints (gesture drawing), only hard edges, limited colors and so forth. The point of such a study is to see the subject beyond the 2D reference.

By the way, my favorite design right now is the Hedgehog; too damn cute. I'm afraid of SimonARPalmer though, crazy skills there. Everybody, thanks for the references and the keep up the workflow :)
some stuff on animal form
[Image: 885095_511696495543686_340795539_o.jpg]
[Image: 599251_512245698822099_1291796592_n.jpg]
mateusrocha , thanks for the suggestion dude. I'll think about it :)

trying to figure out what i want to do for this guy, just sketching the human half of my submission.. it will be a native american man with a bison headress that turns into a full-blown bison. no bluff.

[Image: whyyEyi.jpg]
chose one of my thumbs and started roughing out how i want the colors and lighting to look :) I'm gonna do more studies before I go any further though.

EDIT: looking at it now I'm probably gonna push the colors more, saturate that shit! >:O

[Image: bc697499afb1a3fa6081c7ec3205dff5.png]