Beard Clippings
Hey thanks! I've tried oils albeit very briefly, and a long time ago, and I found them quite challenging. I think they're probably the best medium from a visual stand point though, I'd love to see how you end up using them! And I'm always open for crits as long as they are respectful :)

For her weight, I think it's possible to stand like that with enough back involvement, but I can understand why it feels off. Initially this drawing was just a gesture sketch where the pose was pushed quite a bit, but I ended up taking it further and it doesn't translate too well in the end. I was measuring it like this mentally:

[Image: 2s62h75.jpg]

So its just a tiny bit off from that point of view. I'll try moving the legs forward to meet that line maybe? Unless you're seeing it in a different way. At this point It would be too much work to try to correct the torso I'd think, while moving the legs around is relatively easy

Thanks again

Yeah, legs forward would help (to my eye).

-   Sketchbook   - 
Yo beardley my man... I'm so glad ya came back haha, and I know this place is nowhere as lit as it used to be. Bro to be honest i almost fucking wept looking at your long post about the game studio and then seeing the development you went through. You're stuff is so much fucking better its insane dude. The heads have such a nice form and your lines are so much more structural and sophisticated..

I like this piece with the woods girl alot man, the lighting is very cool. I'd say make sure her ribcage is a functional platform and even on both sides, because one side near the spear arm is sunk in it seems. The Deltoid muscle is really high up and also really big, and the other arm has a strange pose and the forearm is weird. When i try to mimic that pose it feels really unnatural and uncomfortable

Anyways, im really sorry i didn't see your initial post as i don't check SBS that often, i just update my own but I'm so happy for you man and I really appreciate you stopping by :,)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Hey no problem! Thanks for taking a look and thanks for the kind words (And thanks for luring me back over here all those moons ago lol)

This place is definitely quieter than the last time I was here in 2015, and with much more of a focus on the sketchbooks almost exclusively whereas before there was a bit more spread in the kinds of posts, but i'm not concerned about that personally. As long as a few people participate in a few places then it should be all good!

Do you think you could elaborate/scribble on my pic about what you mean with the rib cage? I'm not 100% sure I follow

I agree about the far side forearm, it might work better if I brought up/showed the rest of the arm a bit more on that side?

And for the deltoid, she was intended to have larger muscles as someone who fights, and the height was meant to show her lifting her shoulder defensively. I can try pushing the pose of it around and the sizes and see what happens, it might also look disproportionate since we can't see the other one at all. Thanks for the help!

Sure mayne!

Just overlap the breast over the scarf to show that the breast is raising from the torso. I'm just basing that off the other one which appears to be a very different size. Also maybe look at that neck again, it kinda looks like a piece o toast if you were to draw it without the hair. The side forearm you could probably push out or elongate, i mean it wouldnt really match the tenseness of the pose, but it would look more correct. I think the arm facing us is just way too big for her body though, i know you want a muscular look, but it doesnt match the rest of her body which is quite slim!

Attached Files Image(s)

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Hi Patrick :), it's always good to see an old timer coming back :).  I was sorry to hear about your dad being ill, I hope he's OK now though.

I love your sketchbook, you have an admirable grasp of light and shadow and I like how you're levelling up your drawing skills as well.

You were asking about making colour combinations in one your posts and I'm starting to look into that myself.  Some great advice I got a while back was to think in terms of warm and cool colours, I've watched a few traditional painters on YouTube and they seem to talk a lot about warm and cool, here's a video that I found really helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...tmjDZ9yThk

Hope that helps.

Keep on truckin' fella!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@Artloader Hey! Thanks for the feedback :) I appreciate it. The warm/cool aspect was the main thing i changed in the last painting i posted; it really made a huge difference so definitely good advice 

As for my dad, he's technically OK but has developed complications related to medicine hes had to take after the surgery... the result is that his lungs are working at about 70% capacity and hes anemic now, so he has lost a lot of energy. But hes doing well otherwise, i suppose.

==============================================================================================================

As for me, I'm amazed that this community keeps on rolling :) it looks like i felt the same way the last time i dropped by but its still great to see some of the same people here as when i started comin here all those 6 years ago.

I've been treating this place a bit like a diary it seems, so here goes. Over the last year or so I've had some realizations about my work that have made me shift directions quite a bit. When I decided to focus on art, i went in with the expectation that I needed to do concept art, or illustration, or something like a 'job', and those seemed to be the ones to go for. I saw artists i like getting work with Magic or Applibot or what have you and thought "Hey! Thats I what i want to do!!!" and in hindsight i essentially forced myself to try to learn those things.... despite not really caring about those products, being involved with the community in any way, or even really caring about drawing Fantasy/Sci fi all that much, or designing for action movies that i dont care about etc.

It took me nearly 6 years to realize that it seems, and the worst part is that i also realized recently that when i initially started drawing back in high school, before i decided to 'learn' it or go to school for it, i was always drawing for myself first, and i never gravitated towards any of those things. 

So all that to say, I've more or less dropped pursuing art, particularly that kind of art, as a career. I've shifted my focus to making what I want to make, for me first, and not trying to impress anyone the way i used to. (Maybe it never came through here, but in the back of my mind i used to always be chasing likes, chasing what i thought people wanted, chasing what i thought would lead to a job.)

And i've never enjoyed it more. Not only the process of drawing, but the results. I looked through all my old files, all my studies and projects and challenges, and i remember exactly how i felt when i made almost every single one of them, and i distinctly remember hating a lot of it, or feeling inadequate, like i was wasting my time when i could have been studying something more important. 

But recently, even when something isn't great, maybe it doesn't meet my expectations or what my mind envisioned, but i find myself able to appreciate them nonetheless. I find myself able to let them go, too, and scrap things i've spent precious time on, let them live and die as they need, and its incredibly liberating.

I still love art. Drawing has become like meditation, almost. And i want to learn more about it, and expand into other areas like 3D more (maybe). Art will always be with me, but maybe it doesn't have to be my job, and thats ok :)

==============================================================================================================
Besides pontificating about life, in the last year I've done a few things:
- I spent about 3-4 months making a simple game in Unity with some basic 2d characters. It was a great learning experience (some of the art will be below). Theres not much there though, it was a fairly slow ordeal to get anything working and the art took quite a while honestly!

- I discovered I have an unhealthy obsession with clothing, not just costumes and 'characters' but actually clothing, as an art form in and of itself. It was probably triggered after seeing "The Phantom Thread" (a phenomenal movie in its own right, even if clothing isn't your jam) but I didn't realize it until the last year but a sizeable portion of the art books i have bought over the years are just about clothes. I watched a ton of documentaries on famous fashion designers, i even bought several of the September Edition Vogue magazines which im somewhat ashamed to admit but have no regrets whatsoever as theres some brilliant photography, and design, and artistry, within them.

- Along those lines, i picked up Marvelous Designer which is great fun. It gave me a completely different understanding of clothes and showed me how little i actually understood them when drawing them. I haven't had too much time in it yet, but even the bit of time so far has been insightful

- I spent about 1-1.5 months attempting to make a 3D portrait of a famous actress (will be below) who shall be nameless unless you can guess ;). The likeness isn't there, but I'm pretty content with the sculpt itself, and that too taught me a lot about faces, angles, and perspective that i still struggle with when drawing today.

- I spent another 3 months recently working on a 3d game in Unity again, this time focusing a lot more on the programming than the art, though I did some very basic stuff with the lighting and in Sketchup whenever i got stumped with programming. I really enjoy that, and would recommend anyone with a passing interest to check out programming for themselves, particularly if you can stick it on something you like, such as games!

- And just plain old drawing ! Which is what you're here for, naturally, so here's the last year or so of art. 

Probably not in chronological order, if it matters.

The 2D drawings i made for the Unity Game (the characters arent to scale with each other fwiw)

[Image: nn4i05.jpg][Image: jkj2gm.jpg]
[Image: vf9zcy.jpg]

Some drawings

[Image: 23hovgg.jpg]
[Image: 30t3nu0.jpg]
[Image: 2cd9v1w.jpg]
[Image: 2e4emue.jpg]
[Image: 10fapud.jpg]
[Image: eapn3k.jpg]
[Image: 2jbuvyx.jpg]
[Image: 2e1vona.jpg]
[Image: 2dc7ihi.jpg]
[Image: ezgb41.jpg]
[Image: 2wnv288.jpg]
[Image: equu4w.jpg]
[Image: ejfm7s.jpg]
[Image: 2qwor4h.jpg]
[Image: 10dwmjd.jpg]
[Image: 4j8jed.jpg]
[Image: 2irvgk2.jpg]
[Image: 15qrg1y.jpg]
[Image: ta4ehd.jpg]
[Image: 9qjp4w.jpg]
[Image: 28jfvit.jpg]
[Image: kas1ox.jpg]
[Image: 33w4dh5.jpg]

2019 Things
[Image: efjdq1.jpg]
[Image: 28a6bg7.jpg]
[Image: zvdhjb.jpg]
[Image: 11bomdf.jpg]
[Image: 33njo1e.jpg]
[Image: 5yuas9.jpg]
[Image: 23ic8qx.jpg]
[Image: t7bdxf.jpg]
[Image: dbnmup.jpg]
[Image: 24gj63c.jpg]
[Image: 14ie6a9.jpg]
[Image: nn1bp3.jpg]

My annual foray into halloween and halloween-adjacent subject matter :)) Still my favorite subject each year
[Image: 2dhirmo.jpg]

[Image: 2mzh5ko.jpg]
[Image: 8vwxog.jpg]
[Image: 8ybxva.jpg]
[Image: hx5deg.jpg]

Sculpting
[Image: bdrx29.jpg]
[Image: 35bta2r.jpg]

Cheers :)

lovin the updates beardley my dude, im digging the natural style youre developing, its really starting to roll, just keep fighting through those studies and experiments and youll really have something cool dude; hope youll keep posting but you know i say that to every dagger who pops in from time to time :D

hope things are going good for you man, keep well <3

(04-14-2019, 06:15 AM)Fedodika Wrote: lovin the updates beardley my dude, im digging the natural style youre developing, its really starting to roll, just keep fighting through those studies and experiments and youll really have something cool dude; hope youll keep posting but you know i say that to every dagger who pops in from time to time :D

hope things are going good for you man, keep well <3

Thanks koala <3
Im glad you enjoy it :) I hope that it turns into something too as well, and isn't just me hiding behind 'style' to cover up my shortcomings (in a lot of ways, for me personally, thats definitely where this style came about, as cover up). And I will keep posting as long as I keep making and don't forget that this place exists lol

I will fully admit i've been neglecting my studies. I had an excuse before in that i was practicing exclusively my memory drawings but i think it's time to reshift and go back to studying more again; the last few times I've tried have been rough to say the least lol

Hello, nice work , lot of creative thing . I like how its so varied and the drawing have a lot of story into it.

About Zbrush : I think you should consider using the standard material , its the one that shows form the best. From what I see the eyes seems a bit too hight , but maybe its a perspective effect . Some part are a bit unrefined like eyelids.
A presentation from all angles like that could help see it better too https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l6KZa