JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
some nice study work you've been doing.

you pull off some good stylization and pushing of features but you may benefit from being somewhat more selective in areas, just speaking generally some of the pushed anatomy gets away a little far without the structure to support it.

some of the whole over pushed features can actually work against letting them shine.
kinda how in caricature if you have a big nose and big mouth and big head and big eyes.. you just have a face where nothing stands out really.

please dont take it as a knock to you, youve been doing great by the looks of things
keep it up

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(12-08-2020, 06:40 AM)xelfereht Wrote: some nice study work you've been doing.

you pull off some good stylization and pushing of features but you may benefit from being somewhat more selective in areas, just speaking generally some of the pushed anatomy gets away a little far without the structure to support it.

some of the whole over pushed features can actually work against letting them shine.
kinda how in caricature if you have a big nose and big mouth and big head and big eyes.. you just have a face where nothing stands out really.

please dont take it as a knock to you, youve been doing great by the looks of things
keep it up

not at all! thanks for the feedback, always looking for places where I'm weak. Are you referring to my little character drawings, paintings or just my stuff in general? I totally agree they could all benefit from more purposeful design. I'm still kind of flailing around a lot of the time just to get something that doesn't suck, don't feel I am really in control of the design yet. I will try to be more conscious of that though (and should probably do more studies from pro's alongside photo reference stuff)

Just in general, some of the pushing of features and soft/hard angles feels bit random and ends up with less aesthetic shape design and feel of structure.

I would suggest trying to do a mental check for balance, like if the poses are stable and able to hold themself up right credibly. also maybe you can try feeling out the pose and have an awareness of the tension vs relaxed state of different body parts.

as far as faces and in some of your studies, i think you could take more away from them by trying to catch a bit more of the referenced expression and thinking about the structure the light is revealing.
It appears to be a copy of light shapes and shadow shapes, that without the structure in mind, can be warped to the point the information take away is reduced and it becomes more of a automatic copying process.

you can also kill a bit of the this is digital painting look by varying up your stroke direction instead of painting this sort of ripple effect that lines every shadow and light shape.

hope this helps,
you're doing allot of great work, i know the comics stuff is really challenging but also a great way to get in allot of drawing mileage. just try to pick up as much information you can along the way so you get bang for your buck

[Image: dea28cu-99e799fb-8d61-427e-a064-83b55009...FCvwOJHaMU]

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
I appreciate the follow up and the paintover. I agree the design on that one didn't work, I can't stand to look at his oversized eyes and it looks really digital. The exercise was getting the values to work across the image, which I think was at least somewhat successful. I will continue trying to keep design in mind tho, and start to work on my paint strokes.

I'm experiencing major doubts about all my work, as well as my head filling with excuses as to why things are like that; the paintings are bad cause I set time limits, figures are broken cause they're just warm ups, my comic characters are wonky cause of time constraints. I recognise these as negative forces trying to overwhelm me and need to not give them any energy. I need to make some short term goals to focus on... will be working on those! Hopefully I can get there before the burnout sets in, I can feel it building up :/

Since I'm here might as well post these:

first idea for the ghost villain for the next chapter of Penny Pentagram. Over the course of the chapter he changes and grows in size to giant proportions then shrinks down to the size of a finger when Penny reveals something to him so I need a 'normal' and 'nasty' version that he can gradually morph into.

kind of weird painting exercise today; make the painting using only fully saturated colours with 100% brightness. It's basically a value exercise again, the image is kind of painful to look at but if I nudge the saturation down just a little bit it looks ok.

Kind of got out of my slump now, if I just keep drawing through it eventually I hit some kind of mini success which gives a good feeling and makes me motivated again. All about those neurotransmitters.

Started learning 2D animation, got a load of new fundamentals to master. This exercise was to do three different types of ball. Looks kind of wacky but I think I met the goals.

Study

Painting exercises

Selective stauration:

Change the hue:

Changes to hue/sat/value

Not getting as much out of these painting exercises as before which the results probably show. Will keep going with them.

random character experiments and doodles:

You seem to have gone change through a change of mindset.Your study look more stylize then looking for accuracy in detail.Look like the animation injection as had it influence on you.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Really digging this latest update! There's so many cool things you've got going on. Glad to hear you feel like you're coming out of your art slump! It's never much fun being stuck in one.

I particularly love the exaggeration on the ball animation. Do you have any goals for learning animation? Or just having fun with it?

Sketchbook // Insta = @razorfloyd 

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Hey Jyonny - cool updates man!

Your lines and poses are so confident and well executed - all those years of grind have really paid off!

That selective saturation exercise looks really interesting - a great way of drawing attention to certain areas!

Kudos to you for learning animation as well - you are adding many strings to your bow - nice going :).

Also when you mentioned neurotransmitters it made me wonder if you've been looking into flow-state? Some people call it being in the zone - a state of being where you are feeling your best and performing your best, you lose track of time and become completely absorbed in the task at hand. When this happens a series of highly beneficial chemicals are released in your body (neurotransmitters) that help improve your health and performance.

Anyway - keep it going man :)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(12-16-2020, 07:17 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey Jyonny - cool updates man!

Your lines and poses are so confident and well executed - all those years of grind have really paid off!

That selective saturation exercise looks really interesting - a great way of drawing attention to certain areas!

Kudos to you for learning animation as well - you are adding many strings to your bow - nice going :).

Also when you mentioned neurotransmitters it made me wonder if you've been looking into flow-state?  Some people call it being in the zone - a state of being where you are feeling your best and performing your best, you lose track of time and become completely absorbed in the task at hand.  When this happens a series of highly beneficial chemicals are released in your body (neurotransmitters) that help improve your health and performance.

Anyway - keep it going man :)
Funny you mention flow state because i wrote a piece on that in some of my older post. http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5494.html

My Sketchbook
Nice work man! Your tree of knowledge is growing and sprouting many new little branches! :)

Darktiste Thanks for stopping by! I guess my goal has always been stylisation, kind of feel ready to push into it more now.

Chubbycat Thanks for the comment! My animation goal is basically to get through all the fundamental stuff, get to animating characters so I can be better at drawing 'on model' and just better at posing and getting those 'acting' moments in my poses. I always wanted to be a 2D animator though, so maybe will end up getting into it harder, I think there's a lot of work opportunities for 2D animators now.

Artloader Thanks for the encouragement! And yeah! flow state man, it's a beautiful thing!

Zorrentos Thanks for stopping by! Gotta keep nurturing that tree!

Had kind of a stressful month or so! For various reasons ended up splitting with the writer of our Penny Pentagram comic. I still have this comic deal with Macroverse but no story or work to give them since we agreed he will keep writing Penny elsewhere. Been in a real strange headspace, many days with no drawing done, lost sight of goals, got overwhelmed by all the weaknesses and gaps in my knowledge I want to work on. 

Worked on that comic for nearly 12 months on and off, was kind of a 'grieving process' to let her go and come to terms with starting from the beginning again.

I put an ad on reddit looking for a writer, got overwhelmed by responses, like 50 messages. Read through about 30 script samples and story ideas. Some of them reallly awesome ideas. Narrowed it down to 5, and now 3. Soo hard to decide... so much responsibility... I'm not cut out for being in management I think >.<

Here's some random stuff I've done since the last update, pretty directionless, mostly just to do 'something' and not get rusty. From this week I am re-setting my goals, trying to narrow things down to practice what skills I actually need to do the specific comic job (rather than all the things I want to be able to do) and writing myself a new daily/weekly schedule/timetable thing to hopefully stay on track.

Thanks for dropping by the ol sketchbook and providing awesome feedback Jon! Always nice to see you update again. 

Your studies are looking great as usual, and I can tell they are paying off big-time, especially in the figure drawing department! I think you got the potential to make some great improvements in the painting department though. 

I made a small overpaint to one of your studies with some things that I think you should keep in mind. It's some basic stuff concerning shape design and how to place your values, but maybe it could be of help? Keep up the great work!  Thumbs_up

I'm real sorry to hear about everything man, that sucks. Everything in life happens for a reason, so you might end up creating a story you love even more. It's awesome you received a lot of story proposals (even if it is overwhelming having to decide haha). Keep going!! Onwards and upwards!!!! We're rooting for you :)

Sketchbook // Insta = @razorfloyd 

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Just wanna point out something about using reference in the post #691 with the cow girl her bra would get off because a bra wrap around the back.Right now it just hanging from her neck.Just a technical error.But i always advise you learn more about how thing work first before you draw them.

One advise concerning life to make it easier on yourself is to convince yourself that when thing don't seem to go your way well there actually better thing coming your way.Life is full of disagreement but in the end they help us create were personality and value.You have got experience and are better equip for what life as in store for you.

Best luck to you.

My Sketchbook
Hey Jyonny, great update in spite of the setback you suffered - so sorry to hear about the split with your writer man.

It's cool that you got so many responses to your request for a writing partner though - that's awesome!

You ever thought about doing the writing yourself? I'd bet you'd do a great job :).

Anyway - I wish you all the best dude - whatever you decide.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook