Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
Dig the sunlight in your latest scene. Good job.

What i like in the new piece is the light interact with the pillar as well as how the scatter light harmonize the scene bouncing some of the color around.I also feel like it more focus in term of focal point.The throne feel more important because of how thing are lit and the camera angle help put the viewer at a relatable level in the scene.

I think the low angle just work better to give a sense of importance to the thrown. The bird eye view to me just remind me of a security camera angle. I think it also important to ask yourself how you will create a point of interest and how will you compromise to give that point in the image the space to breath. With a equal lighting or a more muted light you rely on other form of mean to create visual contrast and other principle of composition to achieve the flow toward that focal point. For example in the first attempt symmetry was something that gave a clear path to the focal point. I think in that piece the problem is that the lightning of both window take away from the contrast you could have achieve by putting let say torch around the throne and reducing the light elsewhere. But if let say you choose for ray of light to be directed toward the thrown you would have created a strong use of light such as the one that was achieve in the second version even if it more lateral the cast shadow and the biggest chunk of bright value lead to the stair which lead to the throne.

Anyway good job it suck that you have to spend so much time modelling but i hope it still giving you new blood in your process. Keep being great

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.
Thanks darktiste I'm happy to hear that because I was considering that the scattered light makes for a more difficult to read composition and I was afraid it wouldn't center the throne enough. I tried actually having a spotlight on the throne and doing it that way, but decided to just try this instead. I totally agree about the viewing angle as well, the security camera is kind of spot on lol.

I think in the original, I was just wanting to show the throne and platform from above maybe because that was easier for me to draw, I wasn't that great at perspective. but I didn't end up thinking it looked good, even then.

I also do really like modeling so it's fine. I make most of the items myself and usually learn some new stuff with every project. I just like painting more though.

It's cool that you have the commitment to learn 3D, I don't know if I would be able to do that. The new background definitely looks a lot better, and I imagine it's fun seeing how much you've improved when you redo an old piece. Sorry I can't critique it.
Thanks! I hit Blender really hard around this time last year for a few months and then kind of only did a little bit here and there since then. It was kind of fun actually. Now I kind of get the basics but I'm still a noob at it. It was difficult, but it didn't take long to learn enough to use it successfully for illustration, so I would just give it a go if you're interested.

Nice, the latest painting looks gorgeous! The lighting in particular is very dynamic and natural looking, great stuff!

ugh, I'm obsessed with your sketchbook Joseph! There's so much beautiful art in here and thought-provoking words

I'll need some more time to go through all it's pages
(I'll need to find a balance between savouring and being eager to see what's to come)

sketchbook | pg 52
"Not a single thing in this world isn't in the process of becoming something else."
I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
thank you smrr that's really too kind.The same to you, you have a lot there that I think is interesting I will have to take some time to look through your journey.