Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook
Hi again, 

You're getting a lot of advice and I don't feel as qualified to critique what your posting—but I gotta say I really love the characters/scenes you're creating.

Are you familiar with Marc Brunet?
https://www.artstation.com/marcbrunet

His stuff reminds me a little of what you're doing with your fantasy work especially the winged girlie above.  Brunet uploaded some very cool "speed-paint" video to YouTube if you haven't seen them already.

Anyway—keep up the good work!

Yup, you made the chest more solid. However, smaller breasts are generally set higher on the torso.
I agree that you could use more darks on the dragon fight scene, however I'm not sure what the light sources are apart from the magical lightning. Also, on the flying girl you could use the atmosphere's scattered blue light in the shadows of the white pieces of the suit and accessories to make it feel high up. Ha wait, upon closer look, the whites are more like light orange, so I'm not sure if the blue would show in reality.

(11-05-2019, 03:17 AM)879 Wrote: The color temp thing I think one side of the value spectrum should be desaturated to make it less muddy. I think Schmidt’s alla prima has the answers that’s on my growing study to do list sorry I can’t help more. I really love the swoosh thing you do with the smoke effects it has a nice comic effect that’s really nice.
I think I glazed over that book many years ago. I think technically my light side would be desaturated, maybe I could emphasize more the saturation over my shadows or desaturate the lights more. I'll try to check back on that book, I'm currently with Scott's How to Render so maybe I find some help in it. Thanks anyhow! Oh hey! Good to know! I personally love special effects and I need to get much better at them, I've seen some really cool, I want one day to be able to pull them off as awesome as those I'm thinking about.
(11-07-2019, 06:51 AM)Jephyr Wrote: Hi again, 

You're getting a lot of advice and I don't feel as qualified to critique what your posting—but I gotta say I really love the characters/scenes you're creating.

Are you familiar with Marc Brunet?
https://www.artstation.com/marcbrunet

His stuff reminds me a little of what you're doing with your fantasy work especially the winged girlie above.  Brunet uploaded some very cool "speed-paint" video to YouTube if you haven't seen them already.

Anyway—keep up the good work!

Hey! Well I personally think anyone can leave feedback, like don't feel the need to just focus on technical bits, you can also comment on design, or how you feel about something if done differently, or if I could add, or take away, or change something to improve the message, as a viewer! That matters!

I've seen a few things over time from him! But I don't know much no. Ha! Really? Well maybe that's a good thing! I personally would like to pursue what Alex Flores does ha, but looks lightyears away. I also don't know as of late if I'm all that invested in painting, I'm feeling more and more like I'm driving myself into comic-book art. Not sure. I haven't seen the video but feel free to link it! I'll check it out!

Let's do so!

(11-08-2019, 10:52 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Yup, you made the chest more solid. However, smaller breasts are generally set higher on the torso.
I agree that you could use more darks on the dragon fight scene, however I'm not sure what the light sources are apart from the magical lightning. Also, on the flying girl you could use the atmosphere's scattered blue light in the shadows of the white pieces of the suit and accessories to make it feel high up. Ha wait, upon closer look, the whites are more like light orange, so I'm not sure if the blue would show in reality.

Yeah someone else keeps pointing that out to me and I keep forgetting, I guess studying breast is on the menu! Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this one! Ha. Setting yourself up for failure so you have to study something you enjoy, smart... so smart *rubs hands together*. Ha, jokes.

Well I'm not the best on color at the mo but I think if you use slightly saturated orange for the lights, using desaturated tone (or neutral gray) will look blueish by contrast, using slightly bluish hue should work fine too? I dunno, I honestly didn't think too much about where was she on there! So I didn't pay attention, would look good I think like you put it so taking notes, I'll try on some other!

Leaving a WIP page, I was coloring rather slowly, I've not been very fruitful this past days. I've another page sketched out so hopefully I can have both of them done in a few days. I also have been trying to do a bit more photo-studies back again. For a while at least.

cuuuute girl!1omomomnom

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(11-11-2019, 09:18 AM)Fedodika Wrote: cuuuute girl!1omomomnom

Where!? Hurry! Go say something to her! She might be the one...
Ha. jokes!

Updating with colors, hmm, I should work more on the one on the right.  I may do so but I want to move onto another page with more environments/props, which I have long overdue.

You cracked me up with the "excuse for studying" trick XD
You're right, gray or a desaturated warm color will look blue on a warm context (veins, shadows) but it didn't read blue to me in this case and I wrongly inferred the suit was white. True white, on the other hand, will really have blue shadows in the atmosphere because the scattered blue light will just add up and not fight for hue.
Speaking of colors, your color studies read very real to me, with just the right amount of brushwork.
The skeleton hockey player is just wonderfully cute!
The fantasy illustration - if you plan on continuing it - could use some more color and lighting work to make it feel more tangible. The clothing design is very imaginative, in particular the belt and rope.

Hey, I really like your drawings. Your lines are nice and confident and feel like you're having fun.

I was looking at your recent illustration and maybe i'm overstepping here but I thought I'd try painting over it just to try and define your lightsources a bit more clearly. Maybe I got a little carried away with it. All I really did was follow through on the light sources you already showed in your initial drawing and tried to make sure the forms were being lit appropriately. Maybe you can get something out of it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-11-2019, 05:57 AM)Rotohail Wrote: Hey! Well I personally think anyone can leave feedback, like don't feel the need to just focus on technical bits, you can also comment on design, or how you feel about something if done differently, or if I could add, or take away, or change something to improve the message, as a viewer! That matters!

I've seen a few things over time from him! But I don't know much no. Ha! Really? Well maybe that's a good thing! I personally would like to pursue what Alex Flores does ha, but looks lightyears away. I also don't know as of late if I'm all that invested in painting, I'm feeling more and more like I'm driving myself into comic-book art. Not sure. I haven't seen the video but feel free to link it! I'll check it out!

That makes sense.  I'll b e a little more liberal with my opinions then.

I f you want to check out an awesome Brunet speed paint here ya go. 

I just looked at Flores on ArtStation—thanks for letting me know about him.

I'm kinda torn in the same way.  I want to do graphic novels, animations/videos, 2D and 3dArt, painting, sculpture, and carving etc.  I need 10 life times to do it all!

Anyway—love the new stuff.  The cartoony images are very cool although I'm partial to the first and third.

The development of the fantasy piece looks very good.  Are you cropping it off to share it here?  Right now it seems like it's cramped—especially at the top.

Anyway—keep up the great work!

Dude, do you have a link to a blog or instagram? Love your line and inkwork. It's got a very fluid and fun style to it.
(11-14-2019, 10:29 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: You cracked me up with the "excuse for studying" trick XD
You're right, gray or a desaturated warm color will look blue on a warm context (veins, shadows) but it didn't read blue to me in this case and I wrongly inferred the suit was white. True white, on the other hand, will really have blue shadows in the atmosphere because the scattered blue light will just add up and not fight for hue.
Speaking of colors, your color studies read very real to me, with just the right amount of brushwork.
The skeleton hockey player is just wonderfully cute!
The fantasy illustration - if you plan on continuing it - could use some more color and lighting work to make it feel more tangible. The clothing design is very imaginative, in particular the belt and rope.
I'm glad!
Well I mean yeah, I'm just pointing out that right now there's no background, if I put a orange saturated color instead of the gray, I'm hoping the shadows that are now desaturated orange would look bluish by contrast. I kinda did that with the priest woman and the torches? To try it out, because I don't try it often, the top part of the dress is desaturated orange, but looks blue (you can color pick it if you like), well, at least that's how it looks on my end, hoping I have this correctly calibrated but I can't really say. Or I'm color blind! Ha, that would be a good punchline.

I should and would want to work that fantasy out better, I just feel the better approach now would be to plan the lighting better using 3D or something around my table (but I don't have that many light sources! So I guess 3D), and then see if I can use that as reference, I have never done it but reading Scott's How to Render and Gurney imaginative realism, that seems to be the way to go. Since I also have troubles with doing lighting from the top of my head, maybe that will help. I should try..

I'm really glad you are liking those details! I need to improve my design much more but I'm having fun trying crazy stuff like this, even on when later I feel it would be cumbersome to wear lol. But fun nonetheless!

(11-16-2019, 08:06 AM)jondawo Wrote: Hey, I really like your drawings. Your lines are nice and confident and feel like you're having fun.

I was looking at your recent illustration and maybe i'm overstepping here but I thought I'd try painting over it just to try and define your lightsources a bit more clearly. Maybe I got a little carried away with it. All I really did was follow through on the light sources you already showed in your initial drawing and tried to make sure the forms were being lit appropriately. Maybe you can get something out of it.

Heya! Many yhanks for the aid and suggestion! I took a good look at it and I feel I'm not heading into that direction, mainly I wouldn't want each light to be their own localized section, but rather have like a main soft white/skylight all around? Softbox or so, then the green or be very subtle, decay quickly and the background torches just be there for rim light and background separation/contrast. The reason is that I want a sort of pleasing, serene, look to it, and a slightly cheerful undertone? But with your suggestion it looks very dramatic, and moody, almost goes into villain spooky tones! Which is cool, but I don't want that focus for this one, nonetheless quite useful to see the effects choice of lighting have on a piece. Thanks again!

(11-19-2019, 09:45 AM)Jephyr Wrote: That makes sense.  I'll b e a little more liberal with my opinions then.

I f you want to check out an awesome Brunet speed paint here ya go. 

I just looked at Flores on ArtStation—thanks for letting me know about him.

I'm kinda torn in the same way.  I want to do graphic novels, animations/videos, 2D and 3dArt, painting, sculpture, and carving etc.  I need 10 life times to do it all!

Anyway—love the new stuff.  The cartoony images are very cool although I'm partial to the first and third.

The development of the fantasy piece looks very good.  Are you cropping it off to share it here?  Right now it seems like it's cramped—especially at the top.

Anyway—keep up the great work!

I know that feeling quite well, I started like that, started with drawing then moved onto 3D for a while, done a bit of animation recently, more painting on the side for years, I also have the urge at times to switch mediums, got into pencils, pens or even try clay sculpting (I haven't yet). On one hand is good to see a bit of everything to see what clicks and how it influences what we do, but on the other if you don't pick one then you can't really shine I guess. So long you are happy on each step then it should be fine right? Or maybe we should break for impact... ha!

What do you don't like about the second one compared with the others? Can be useful to know.

No, I work on the same canvas all the time, then just use the space however I see on the moment, but yeah composition is not something I pay enough attention at times! For instance I did one recently, see below, with the dude running, I feel there's too much empty/background space with the water, either adding other things or cropping it would be more interesting. But that's kind of the point of doing it like this! Fail, see what you don't like, remember or change it. Keep the record. Do something different next time.

(11-19-2019, 12:29 PM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: Dude, do you have a link to a blog or instagram? Love your line and inkwork. It's got a very fluid and fun style to it.

Heya! I sadly don't! Yet, I was thinking maybe starting one out for a while at least, but, as I keep commenting on many places I just prefer a smaller number of people to see whatever I do and leave feedback I can chew on rather than going for followers or likes, I don't think those are gonna help me to improve or see what I do good and what I don't.
Thanks man! Oh, btw I used one of the pictures from your recent studies for one of mine, didn't go all too well ha! But I wanted to give it a shot, I'm on a painting spree as of late, but I need to stop eyeballing and measure better. Anyhow, really liked the original shot! I'll comment more in depth on your SB about your stuff asap.

So I've been jumping around pages and not hitting my goalpost this past 2 weeks, mainly I tried to focus on doing studies. 
I have a long one started out, that I keep on working 1-2h a day, then I have a page with sketches of characters sitting that I'm still trying to figure out the details or how to build them up. So very rough, still hanging in the wind. I did some portraits, which I utterly failed by not measuring properly, I guess I need to work on that (strong emphasize) and I did most recently a page with the theme running. Still plenty things to work on on this one.
So all in all, a bunch of sand and barely any salt! Ha. That ain't gonna go well with my soup... sandy soup. Back into the trenches.

I don't know why. But I really like the shape of the gun that girl character is holding. How did you come up with that design?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(11-23-2019, 09:22 PM)John Wrote: I don't know why. But I really like the shape of the gun that girl character is holding. How did you come up with that design?

Yeah! I come up with it on the fly, still haven't figure it out. I feel tho I drawing memories from some halo thing? Mixed with dead space stuff, that's where I think, in my head, is coming from. But memories, are tricky, I maybe be not really remembering well enough and be something else entirely.
Many thanks! Pity you can't put your finger on what, I want to break the outer shape a bit more but keep that, big rectangular barrel and curved inward grip, that was my main idea. If you have any suggestions fire away!
Nah man, no suggestions. I was wondering how you come up with that design. Looks dope. It's really fun and inspiring just looking at your sketchbook. Makes me want to do better myself.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Some really great updates here, solid work all around. I really enjoy the angles you chose to depict, always very dynamic and unique, as well as confident. Keep up the great work!

Those studies, man! I'm repeating myself but: They are so strong because you know how to put in just the right amount of brush work. Taking for instance the woman on the sofa, looking at the clothing detail and the sofa pattern, you keep it broad, kind of fuzzy at places, and yet it all looks so believable.

The second canvas, the three scenes, they look like ready to ink for a comic! Try this please, as an exercise (and an enjoyment for me ;). Is it a visual pun that the elf looks like she is leaning on the dead king's thigh? If she wasn't on a different perspective space she could have been the assassin.

(11-23-2019, 09:39 PM)John Wrote: Nah man, no suggestions. I was wondering how you come up with that design. Looks dope. It's really fun and inspiring just looking at your sketchbook. Makes me want to do better myself.

Well I think you are doing really good yourself! But thanks! that was nice to hear. I think we all have our ups and downs, I've been on a down one for a week at least, just try to be ready for the ups and focus your energies on those! I can feel the tide rising.. ha, maybe just wishful thinking...

(11-23-2019, 11:29 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Some really great updates here, solid work all around.  I really enjoy the angles you chose to depict, always very dynamic and unique, as well as confident.  Keep up the great work!
Thanks! I guess I can say the same about yours after checking your SB. Lets both do so!

(12-03-2019, 09:53 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Those studies, man! I'm repeating myself but: They are so strong because you know how to put in just the right amount of brush work. Taking for instance the woman on the sofa, looking at the clothing detail and the sofa pattern, you keep it broad, kind of fuzzy at places, and yet it all looks so believable.

The second canvas, the three scenes, they look like ready to ink for a comic! Try this please, as an exercise (and an enjoyment for me ;). Is it a visual pun that the elf looks like she is leaning on the dead king's thigh? If she wasn't on a different perspective space she could have been the assassin.

Honestly, like I appreciate it but I feel like I still don't get that at all, like I catch myself at times still "scratching" with my brush, a really bad habit, like I have to stop myself and just look at something and think, how many strokes and what angles, or if I need a different brush, softer or what not, but I just default to scratching with what I have. I'm working on that, but I'm glad you feel is working right now! Well believing is more about the right values/tones, that's what gets you the form illusion. I can tell you if you check the reference, there's so many mistakes, and so much details I don't catch, but I'm trying to work on that, eventually I'm hoping I'll get there, or eat my fingers! Ha.

I'm actually doing that! But I've been stuck. Thanks for the suggestion tho! Ha, yeah actually I didn't plan to have them be related as in a sequence of events but they do feel that way, I just wanted to have fun placing them, I like to do stuff like that, characters coming out of panels or interacting with others in abstract ways, like stealing a line (like the ones for that leg section) for something else lol, it's fun!

So I've been slacking off, and I'm not happy with myself about that but oh well, I'm trying to get back in the saddle. I have a bunch of things started out and I've been jumping between them, a bunch that failed and had to rework or will rework on the future.
I've been mostly trying to practice the things I've been reading on Scott's "How to Render" but still on the early stages. I have a few studies I need to keep working at, blocking things out, then detailing. I did start coloring the previous page with the running characters, added/changed things there, but I've been stuck with the fantasy character ones sitting, still figuring what I want. I had some fun with potentially a few sketches, the girl smiling, the organic designs and the sci-fi girl standing I think I can get something out of them. I would like to make something interesting with hard-surface drawing / industrial drawing but I still can't think of anything I like.
Anyhow, leaving here a few things. It's been two weeks...

Nice updated here, really enjoying your clean linework and use of perspective throughout, always very dynamic. Hope to see more progress on the coloring of the first sketch, I think that looks brilliant and would make for a great painting! Keep up the good work :)

i always love your relentless positivity roto, its inspiring on a personal level :)

if i were you, id push the living shit outta that ice surfer dude, thats a strong piece and composition. Dont let that one die out, get some good reference and dab on that for a while, keep pushing and pushing it! also love that owl :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I am always in awe of your updates; they are a great joy to look over. On a personal note, I do hope you take that dead King drawing further - the overall composition and perspective of the piece is wickedly delightful.

The only thing that currently doesn't feel to be hitting the same mark as the others is the green elf girl with her owl. The main issue is around her neck and chin area. She feels like she has no real neck. You can argue that it's because of the perspective, but if you wanted to push the fact we are looking up at her defining the underside of her jaw will really help push that feeling.

Besides that ant sized nitpick, everything is looking wonderful. Keep it up.
(12-08-2019, 05:01 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Nice updated here, really enjoying your clean linework and use of perspective throughout, always very dynamic. Hope to see more progress on the coloring of the first sketch, I think that looks brilliant and would make for a great painting!  Keep up the good work :)
Many thanks! Do you mean the ones with the characters sitting and the owl? I'm working on my willpower to do so ha, that one is one of those challenges I must face to get over my fears lol. Is a work in progress.

(12-08-2019, 07:33 AM)Fedodika Wrote: i always love your relentless positivity roto, its inspiring on a personal level :)

if i were you, id push the living shit outta that ice surfer dude, thats a strong piece and composition. Dont let that one die out, get some good reference and dab on that for a while, keep pushing and pushing it! also love that owl :)
Hey! I'm glad! Attitude is half the battle. Else you get a moral debuff or penalty and then you miss your hits! Can fight like that, ha! Sorry, RPG jokes.

I think that one is gonna be on life support, I would like to study seas, water reflections and fix the damn legs but I feel this one has reach the point where I shelve it and try again on a few months, see if I learnt something new. Ha! Owl says hoot!

(12-09-2019, 09:52 AM)chubby_cat Wrote: I am always in awe of your updates; they are a great joy to look over. On a personal note, I do hope you take that dead King drawing further - the overall composition and perspective of the piece is wickedly delightful.

The only thing that currently doesn't feel to be hitting the same mark as the others is the green elf girl with her owl. The main issue is around her neck and chin area. She feels like she has no real neck. You can argue that it's because of the perspective, but if you wanted to push the fact we are looking up at her defining the underside of her jaw will really help push that feeling.

Besides that ant sized nitpick, everything is looking wonderful. Keep it up.
Many thanks! Really, I appreciate it! I'm trying to work on the 3 of them, while I do smaller stuff in between.

I'll look into that, I wanted to have her neck covered with clothing and the cowl thing, but maybe is misleading at the moment. Not sure if with shadows I'll fix the effect or I'll have to redraw that area but I'm on it!

Leaving the missing extras on the characters running that lacked color, so that's one page done. I'm also leaving another one I started with a sci-fi SNK/Evangelion rip-off I wanted to explore but so far is really barebones, I want to explore the design, fix some things, see what I get from it. Maybe if I find something I like I'll try some storyboarding. I'm spreading myself kind of thin tho.

I've been working on the other pages, probably will have the portrait and flower ones done soon, although I've been avoiding my main one so that has to change, gotta clean, ink and color...