drifter93's sketchbook
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I want to try to post here and get critique/advice as much as possible since I'm just studying on my own and from books and youtube videos.

I just started drawing/studying more intensely than I have before (about 3-4 hours per day, with my goal of being 8-12 hours per day). I've started getting back into drawing about a week or 2 ago.

Most of my stuff for now is just gesture and form studies from online photos, trying to break things down into simple 3d shapes as I feel like I really need to practice the fundamentals.

So, here goes nothing!

This isn't everything I've done, and it's a lot of pages, so I hope it's ok to post a lot so you can get an idea of where I'm at with my art. You can also a bit of my stuff on my instagram page: HERE.

Here's more photos I couldn't upload since there's the 20 attachment limit on posts...

Trying to focus on my human figures 'cause they... are lacking.

Welcome aboard the raft, drifter!
You're off to a good start. Keep drawing but not only from images, also from life: Your perception will be very different and you will learn more. Also draw from imagination even if you don't like what you see at first.

(10-27-2019, 03:53 PM)Leo Ki Wrote: Welcome aboard the raft, drifter!
You're off to a good start. Keep drawing but not only from images, also from life: Your perception will be very different and you will learn more. Also draw from imagination even if you don't like what you see at first.
Thanks Leo! I will try to draw more from life, is there any particular way I should go about that? Not gonna lie I’m kind of an introvert and don’t leave the house too much. Should I get one of those bust or figure models to practice with? I want to try to find some live figure drawing sessions near me though.

I used to draw mostly from imagination so I will make time for that too.
Hey! Welcome!! Keep going drawing, never stops at any cost. Try the draw a box website series its free!! And you have the ctrlpaint website to! Those are good start, maybe drawing with the right side of the brain its a good start too. For a better knoledge of life drawing and human figure Glen Vilppu's drawing manual is a good reference. George bridgman. Michale hampton with the design and invention book. And for perspective understand for artists I would like to advice the Ernest Norling Perspective Made easy book. Good lucky!!! Try out those references and books, see what you like
Good lucky!!
(10-28-2019, 03:36 AM)Matheus Chastinet Wrote: Hey! Welcome!! Keep going drawing, never stops at any cost. Try the draw a box website series its free!! And you have the ctrlpaint website to! Those are good start, maybe drawing with the right side of the brain its a good start too. For a better knoledge of life drawing and human figure Glen Vilppu's drawing manual is a good reference. George bridgman. Michale hampton with the design and invention book. And for perspective understand for artists I would like to advice the Ernest Norling Perspective Made easy book. Good lucky!!! Try out those references and books, see what you like
Good lucky!!

Thank you so much for the ideas! I’ll be sure to check them out!
So these are from yesterday. Thinking I will try some more imaginative drawing today and maybe do some digital drawings too.

Drawing from observation can be done on anything anywhere, you can start with what's on your table or what you see outside your window, as simple as that :) The point is to train the eye, which is as important as the hand. After a while you will be looking at the world with a new pair of eyes, noticing small details, taking note of shadow shapes, etc.
I suggest drawing a series of stick figures to focus on the proportions of the limbs rather than the outlines (make the shoulders and hips transversal sticks).

(10-29-2019, 08:23 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Drawing from observation can be done on anything anywhere, you can start with what's on your table or what you see outside your window, as simple as that :) The point is to train the eye, which is as important as the hand. After a while you will be looking at the world with a new pair of eyes, noticing small details, taking note of shadow shapes, etc.
I suggest drawing a series of stick figures to focus on the proportions of the limbs rather than the outlines (make the shoulders and hips transversal sticks).

Okay, will do! Thanks for the suggestions.
Still struggling with proportions but I already feel like I made a little bit of progress in recognizing some errors I make. The first two pages were from imagination.

Also here's some digital drawing I did a week ago with some color, 'cause why not include it on here I guess. I know the legs, hands and feet are not great but I'm going to work on those soon.

I would add would be something to make sense out of why the cape is in that shape basically on what is she sitting?Also try to describe the form with different value to imply light or dark.

Good point is you seem to understand coloring a question for you is do you understand how to lock layers?

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(10-29-2019, 07:26 PM)darktiste Wrote: I would add would be something to make sense out of why the cape is in that shape basically on what is she sitting?Also try to describe the form with different value to imply light or dark.

Good point is you seem to understand coloring a question for you is do you understand how to lock layers?
Good point, I should have thought more about the background before I drew her, it was really just to see if I could apply my figure sketches to my own drawing. Next time I will think about the environment more too.

I know how to use photoshop okay, I know how to lock layers for coloring and shading. Thank you for the feedback!
good evening, I think I'm getting a cold

animals are fun and hard to draw

idk if nsfw stuff is allowed on this forum so i censored it (just figure drawing)

drew my cat from life bc i need to draw from life a lot more

You're well on your way. Figure drawing takes a long time to become even decent so try to be patient.

Also, drawing from imagination TOO MUCH at this level is a common mistake, one I made myself for years. Spend most of your time copying and analyzing what you see vs drawing from imagination and I guarantee you will soon improve leaps and bounds. Why? Drawing and painting from observation with accuracy is the foundation for technical skill and knowledge that everything else is built onto.

A great exercise is taking an old master drawing and trying to copy it as closely as you possibly can. Aim for perfect proportions and rendering the drawing exactly as they did. You will learn so much by even just attempting to do this.

Reserve drawing from imagination for AFTER you study from life so you can directly put that knowledge into practice.
(10-31-2019, 06:44 PM)Nature Wrote: You're well on your way. Figure drawing takes a long time to become even decent so try to be patient.

Also, drawing from imagination TOO MUCH at this level is a common mistake, one I made myself for years. Spend most of your time copying and analyzing what you see vs drawing from imagination and I guarantee you will soon improve leaps and bounds. Why? Drawing and painting from observation with accuracy is the foundation for technical skill and knowledge that everything else is built onto.

A great exercise is taking an old master drawing and trying to copy it as closely as you possibly can. Aim for perfect proportions and rendering the drawing exactly as they did. You will learn so much by even just attempting to do this.

Reserve drawing from imagination for AFTER you study from life so you can directly put that knowledge into practice.
To add more to this.One must stay creatively engage or he might encounter a creative burn out.But a good rule is to do more study than imaginative work in the earlier stage of an artistic journey.It not a bad idea to do imaginative work but if you leak the courage to listen to the critic and leak the theory to understand there feed back it would be more advise to spend time working on study.There certain moment where your observation skill become higher than your drawing skill when this happen you become more self aware of area in your fundamental that are lagging behind.Imaginative work are important to give direction to your art journey they help you figure out the fundamental that need to be consolidated.Your at risk of becoming artistically boring if you don't experiment as you go.Stay creative but remember what support this creativity it the technique.

My Sketchbook
(10-31-2019, 06:44 PM)Nature Wrote: You're well on your way. Figure drawing takes a long time to become even decent so try to be patient.

Okay thank you so much for the advice! Will definitely try to copy some old master drawings.
(10-31-2019, 08:15 PM)darktiste Wrote:

To add more to this.One must stay creatively engage or he might encounter a creative burn out.But a good rule is to do more study than imaginative work in the earlier stage of an artistic journey.It not a bad idea to do imaginative work but if you leak the courage to listen to the critic and leak the theory to understand there feed back it would be more advise to spend time working on study.There certain moment where your observation skill become higher than your drawing skill when this happen you become more self aware of area in your fundamental that are lagging behind.Imaginative work are important to give direction to your art journey they help you figure out the fundamental that need to be consolidated.Your at risk of becoming artistically boring if you don't experiment as you go.Stay creative but remember what support this creativity it the technique.

Thank you, I will definitely keep up the studies but also make some time for my own imagination practice.
trying new things out

Try to be more precise and descriptive about what your trying to do. ''trying new things out'' yea but what exactly? Maybe this point toward a leak of artistic vocabulary.Maybe this point toward you not understanding exactly what your trying to improve... maybe it just laziness to explain... i just think you should atleast trying to share what your goal are if you want help with those goal if you have goal of course...

My Sketchbook