kerm's SKitschbook - Please help by giving critique! Will be really appreciated!
You're discplined. You do a lot of studies. Can't hurt!
Thank you alex!

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
A fast one with reflective surface on the mug. Wanted to focus more on bigger volumes, make everthing read and don't care much about details which sometimes distract you from "bigger image".

Attached Files Image(s)

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

Gamepad study :P

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey! Kerm, there seems to be some great improvement from the stuff you've posted in the first post, especially in the colors. Keep up with studies and always practice with them.

Nice to see you working hard and doing lots of studies. My advice is to not get "stuck" doing it, vary it up with drawing and painting from imagination. If you're doing lots of still lives with vibrant colors and nice reflected light, try to apply that to the next piece you draw. A nice way to test if the knowledge sticks!

Another study, more reflective surfaces... You are all right, it's time to move on to imaginery stuff. I think I feel confident enough to make that move. Expect something tommorow or on sunday. :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey kerm, great going with all of the studies and observation studies at that!

Hmm, my only advice is not to get too caught up with doing studies. Trust me, I did - and now I wish I did way more personal pieces when I started out this year.

Try your hardest to apply what you're learning from all these still-lifes. For example, the metal and glass objects - try and paint something from your imagination to do with glass or metal to see if you got an understanding of how both properties work. But don't just replicate a glass and a metal spoon and call it a personal piece, try to come up with an idea that you're interested in and go for it!
Like sexy horse man ;)

I hope that helps in some way, keep pushing, you disciplined thing you :D

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Okay, imaginery piece, still work in progress. Update tommorow. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

haha that sexy gladiator horse was great xD
I like these last studies from life, just consider using harder edges on the areas where the light hits directly, you could use the pen tool or even the lasso tool for that, its quite effective.

Thx Ed, I think I'll start with an eraser tool :)

Anyway... moving forward with my concept... Some areas are still rough.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I'm done with that piece.

Attached Files Image(s)

nice sketchbook! you are a lot more strict with yourself doing studies than i am, i need to keep them going...
really like the last piece btw, though keep on top of your light source- on the right with the house, im not sure why (the lighting being top right) the weeds hanging from the island would be such a saturated and lit colour, nor the bushes and house. what I think this piece needed to ground it was some contrasting cool areas of less saturation and bluer hues, like the mid section of the house on our right.
same applies to the rocks by the city.
still that said, really love the concept and it has an awesome dream like feel to it which i really like, feels like an illustration to a novel. good work buddy :)
Post #32 Looks beautiful.

Would love to live in a place like that :D

@Ward217: You're right, things that you told are now clearly visible for me. The weeds are really getting to much atention and are in wrong brightness. When it comes to the warm-cool contrast, you probably are right to. That's a valuable input. The rule is straight, but sometimes hard to execute (well, on my level it is). I must definitely work on it. Probably studies of paintings with such effect would be a good idea.

@Prabu: Thank you!

Anyway, back to studies... + fantasy cottage concept.

Attached Files Image(s)

Did a study of a woman...

Attached Files Image(s)

nice still life ! For the last woman, your brush strokes are a bit weak, lacking of confidence and economy. Try to get the right color, the right value, and the right edge of your stroke before putting it ! It takes some practice but you'll manage to do it !

You're right, sometimes I really struggle with any kind of strokes (brush and pencil). I do have a problem with line confidence and I try to work it out. Do you know any good exercises to improve this? Would be really happy if you share them. :)

Wanted to do something else, so I painted a porsche :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Color study with a messed up perspective :/

Attached Files Image(s)