Kimonas's Sketchbook
Awesome work ethic, you seem to be figuring things out on your own. As for the suggestion, try to lose some of the sharp edges. You can lead the eye around a subject if you have lost and found edges along the contours. Basically when an edge is lost your eye automatically looks around to figure things out.
Here's an example, [Image: Sargent_Lady_Agnew.jpg]
Ben Flores - Thanks for the advice man! Yeah i know im terrible for sharp edges, the mark of a big noob. Now that im getting a bit more into composition i hope i can address that edge control a bit more, but i guess i should really be paying attention to this in my studies too. I tried to add a bit of texture to the skin. need to work on that too.

Well here the final thing, hope you all like it! Im planning on doing a few pieces to send to MTG. Long shot yes, but you gotta try.

Attached Files Image(s)

I really like how you have rendered the skin, great work! I do think that the rock lacks a bit of detail, especially since it's on the same plane as the character, but that's just my opinion. I don't think it matters much if it would be for a card cause then you wouldn't see the detail, but I just wanted to point it out anyway. Good luck with the job hunt! :)
Oooh c'mon Kimonas, you can't use the title noob anymore :p
Anyway, edges are a hard, so you're in for an adventure :)

And yeah, the rocks can use a bit more of hard edges too.
Anyway, what helped me in the end was to do pretty close studies from the masters, and articles like this one: http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.br/2015/...edges.html

Looking forward to your next update!

you're doing great on the rendering/values/color, never loose that. the drafstmanship and hands are really good, and your knowledge of plains and anatomy are good good... But you really need to work on the edges because i find your either are either very sharp or kinda soft, when you should have a wide variety.

The BEST way to study edges are to get old master paintings, preferably anders zorn, sargent, and any realist painter who uses painterly strokes and doesn't have super tight rendering. But even Bouguereau and people who do render very tightly use edges well. That's whats holding your studies back man, it gives the skin a plastic digital look that you gotta overcome. Get very high res master paintings and really dig in to how they executed the edges and use whatever tools at your disposal to replicate it! I bought a subscription at artrenewal center for a year and i highly recommend it! get loads of stuff you cant find on google if you can spare 25$.

Two other painters you should study are Jeff Watts and Cynthia Sheppard and she works for MTG. EDGES MAN GET THAN DOWN AND YOU'LL REALLY BE FLYIN BRO

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Yeah! Good to see your trying for MTG, I've been doing a lot of composition sketches in that card format. Might as well work at it if it's a goal. Looking pretty sweet keep grinding!

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

The piece came out great man! One of your best images yet. Keep challenging yourself and get on to something you're not so comfortable with as well. Looking forward to seeing you get even better.
AngeliquwvdMee -Hey thanks so much! Yeah you are right about the rocks, maybe i should have put a little more work into it. Again i think it may have something to do with softening some adges esp at her skirt. Thanks for your good luck - i think i might be a bit too optimistic about MTG, i think i probably have to continue working for a few years before im at the right level. I read up on how Art directors think - and they judge you by their weakest piece. Why should they hire you if you arent better than their current trusted artists?

Ursula Dorada. Hehe but i am a Noob! Im a self taught wannabe who is trying to feel himself into professional illustration!I have had a look at that muddycolours blogspot page and it is useful. It identifies all the different TYPES of edges - but getting good at using them - well. I find the biggest obstacle is figuring out how to control edges when relying on layers so heavily. Im a slave to the layer lock.

Felodika - Thanks for your really kind commend. Im sure you are right about studying masters for the edges thing - its something i have never done and really should get into a bit more! Ive had a look at both jeff watts and Cynthia Shepperd before and they are so kewl!

Thanks Jonessoda - good luck with your card format composition sketches. What is incredibly interesting is taking an idea to a final piece - there are so many paths to take, and its often about having experience to know which path NOT to go down :) 

Ben Flores - You are too kind man. Ill try and keep challenging myself for sure. Id like to hope im still getting better, but i think im still not quite at the standard for mtg, but i will keep trying to get better!

So ive decided to change the way i study a bit. Before i would just try and study topics comprehensively, and there is no doubt that this is useful. Im really keen on producing better illustrations, so now i think ill try to do 'mini studies' relevant to my next piece. So, here it goes!

Attached Files Image(s)

Well, shit. It's definitely my loss for not having flipped through your sketchbook *facepalm*, because man, you. are. killing it Kimonas <3 !

Yeah people already provided that last illustration you did with some great feedback. This new studyin' technique is ballin'.

Looking forward to what's in store!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
oooh nice clouds! try to add some blurry edges here and there, experiemnmtntnt!!

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Smrr - thanks dude! Hopefully soon will start on this new piece!
Felodika - thanks ill go crazy with dem edges

Wing? clouds? what could i possibly be thinking of painting?

Attached Files Image(s)

Portraits & the MTG piece looks great Kim :)

this motherfukker .... keep em comin yo

daaaaaaaaaamn.
gorgeous wings are gorgeous baby

staaaaaaaaaaahp it! ;3;

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Your stuff is sweet, and the lighting is pretty on your pieces.
Pra bu: Hey thanks!
Iggytek: lol thanks, will try to bring more, but damn its been over a month, family kept me busy :D
Smrr: Thanks, more wings for you today!
Lilly sparks: Hey thanks, i do try with dat lighting. I learnt from Brad Rigney, the art god.

Here is a piece i finished today, i think its a good step for me. I tried really hard to use more greys, more colours and tried a high key piece. I usually struggle for the first 1/3 of a piece but i realised it was down to having poor line work. practice this i must. Im getting Karl Kopinskis sketchbook he has just released and planning to draw every image in it:D

Hope yall like it!

Attached Files Image(s)

Woww, you've really improved a lot since the last time I looked at your work, man. Awesome job. You just keep churning this great stuff out, you're definitely going places. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Bookend - Hey thanks man, i'll keep trying, ill promise you that :D

In other news, someone in Australia decided to tattoo one of my older pieces on their arm! To be honest im completely flattered that someone would permanently scar themselves with my art, but made my day! The artist is: https://instagram.com/chantellethongtattoos/

Otherwise, working on some dragons, first three are with ref, last is made up. I'm having some problems making them 'snouty', but i'll have another go tomorrow. I have to apply the perspective tricks i learnt earlier and overlap forms more. Dragon piece, in the pipeline!

Attached Files Image(s)

DAYYYYUMMM CONGRATS!!!

Fedodika: hehe thanks man, was a boost!

Just a quickie for funz.

Attached Files Image(s)