C.H.O.W DOWN #3 - THE LIZARD KING
[Image: o56yIYn.jpg]
This weeks brief by BigBreakfast

Character of the Week #3

»THE LIZARD KING«
From the dry lands to the south, in the expanding red stone deserts, one name comes whispered on the lips of refugees and merchants alike. The Lizard King. Some say he is a great beast like the dragons of old. Others swear he is only one of the humanoid Lizardmen, though larger, stronger and older than any of his kin.
One thing is known, the Lizard King is a savage force to be feared and fled from. He leads his armies north as we speak.
(Make a powerful ruler, chieftain or god-king to rule over the Lizard tribes and unite them in warfare. You can make him humanoid, a massive beast, etc. as long as he/she is reptilian in nature. Be creative and have fun!)

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next weeks design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Please submit your choice for next weeks CHOW in a PM to me when you post your first WIP
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!

Deadline is Saturday, February 4th @10pm GMT

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-

Feb 01:
Quote:From the dry lands to the south, in the expanding red stone deserts, one name comes whispered on the lips of refugees and merchants alike. The Lizard King. Some say he is a great beast like the dragons of old. Others swear he is only one of the humanoid Lizardmen, though larger, stronger and older than any of his kin.
One thing is known, the Lizard King is a savage force to be feared and fled from. He leads his armies north as we speak.
(Make a powerful ruler, chieftain or god-king to rule over the Lizard tribes and unite them in warfare. You can make him humanoid, a massive beast, etc. as long as he/she is reptilian in nature. Be creative and have fun!) 

Whattup peeps,
At a painful 90kps download speed I managed to
put together a mood board to start off with. 

Basically 'The Lizard King' reminds me of Godzilla, 
which is already popular in a modern setting so I
wanted to flip that setting to something more
prehistoric. Dinosaurs after all were named such,
as 'Terrible Lizards'. Ironically Godzilla gained 
a huge global following when, it goes against
what is Japan's most prominent feature in their 
monsters. i.e. the most terrifying monsters are 
those that closely resemble human beings.

I didn't want another giant beast, nor just some 
generic lizard humanoid. I'm going for something
primal, natural in its setting but still seen as a 
sort of deity by lesser races. He's the oldest and 
largest of his kind, and has an inherent dominance
over all his lower related species. Such a huge being
slumbers for decades at a time, in a place seeded 
deep within uninhabited forests. When the time
comes, he wakes, and he feeds.

Tannoth Exortus

Click Here For Image 

Feb 02:

I may be a little to drunk to paint but eh... latest update, and hopefully enough time tomorrow night to finish. 
Click Here For Image [font=arial, sans-serif]↓[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]

[/font]

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
hey, the deadline can't be Feb 4th, it's a typo, right?
I might be joining this one, I wish more people would join

It is Feb 4. The last one had been a bit short notice and i couldn't enter but now I figured I'd squeeze it in - I hope others do too. Considering timezones, the deadline is actually on Sunday 5th for me.

There's already been talk about having a proper schedule. I.e. prompt and due date being the same time making it an actual week. Having that time mid-weekend so with timezones 12hrs either side of it can participate in a time that isn't during a standard business week. I dunno. Just needs refinment. If no one is going to join I'd rather be doing my own stuff as this one is the fastest, messiest job I've done in a long time, and that's what I feel happened with CHOWs previously. For people to have interest you gotta make it easy for people to be interested.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I would like to participate on this one, but I agree about the deadline
I think it might be best to do it biweekly , it will give more chance to other people to join
Some people may not have enough time to do an illustration in less than a week.
@Voodoomama
Quote:I would like to participate on this one, but I agree about the deadline
I think it might be best to do it biweekly , it will give more chance to other people to join 
Some people may not have enough time to do an illustration in less than a week.

In discord there was a bit of an exchange and I was suggesting something like this:
Which a. gives people a specific time and aren't asking 'Is it posted yet?' which is the equivalent of a bored child in the backseat asking 'Are we there yet?' and isn't conducive to providing a stimulating community project b. is consistent, and we may need to point out to entrants that they ought to be prepared to offer their prompt should they win,  or surrender the opportunity to a runner up so as to keep the game going and not hold up everyone else who would like the chance to enter the next challenge c. allows an equal and fair chance for voting by having the same poll deadline, midweek. If there are tie-breakers there are another two days to decide and both can provide a prompt with the winner a surprise announcement on the Saturday, and d. having a break period for the voting and for people who wish to be regular entrants to be able to work on their own things without having every second CHOW with only few entrants.

Totally not being critical, just want to provide suggestions. For me it's like trying to coordinate my own work roster.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Yeah what RP said. Do all that. :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
A schedule is an awesome idea, thanks for the initiative RP  Thumbs_up
As for VoodooMama's suggestion, I also guess that with biweekly DLs people would join, so it might be a good idea as well. Few rivals is not that much fun :)

The brief is cool, but 4 days is not enough for most of us I think.
I gathered some refs and started experimenting with sculpting yesterday, but can't promise anything within this timeframe.

"Waaaah, the deadlines too short." Suck it up scrubs. Better get moving unless you want me to pick the prompt for next week :)

Attached Files Image(s)

@rottenpocket, the schedule is good!  Having a full week for the illustration is Def good.  The problem is this one doesn't have too much time since it was announced in such short notice 

Still might enter tho,  ;)
Please do, so we can stop Adam...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

It's my first time here...hmm so this is the WIP thread?

but anyway, i dont usually do character prac so i should practice more here

Attached Files Image(s)

@ adam
wew~ !

Roughed out some sketches today from scratch. My king is inspired by horned lizards, figures of sumo fighters and is going to be clad in trasitional Uzbek culture style. And he's a game character
Never did a full model before so I have no idea how long it should take :) Low-poly stage for now. I also an already see where I lack anatomy knowledge.. almost everywhere :) so it's a good practice.

@Achi cool silouhettes, I like the ones from the right but something needs to be adjusted with the arms, hope to see more!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey cool works so far people :). Looks like we've got a fair few contestants already :).

@Neo: I love that you use 3D in your workflow. I find that it is really time consuming but I have a sneaking suspicion it will pay off in the long run. What 3D program are you using here?

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

haha, go Adam!

[Image: Lizard-1.jpg]rough sketch atm
decided to go for creature instead of humanoid
Going for something Brom-inspired here. This scaly king is a warlord who's seen it all and has the battle scars to prove it.

Nice sketches Neo. Chinese aristocracy has a pretty unique aesthetic, and I love the idea of going with a more eastern kind of look. 
@walent: I'd be interested in seeing a video of your sketching process sometime.

[Image: Lizard-2_1.jpg]update!
working on colour and rendering