Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: smrrfette's Odyssey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fedodika - Mwahah <3 as always, thanks Fedodika;!

Ursula Dorada - Ohhh I reckon!! My mind just keeps getting blown listening to his vids :)! Thanks muchly! ^ ^ haha me too - shouldn't be too long now :p

razvanb08 - haha thank you man! Keep up the killer work, and stay awesome! :)

Thanks for dropping by o/ <3

Gotta work harder, gotta nail those weaknesses!

And for now, I'm definitely targeting finishing personal work. That is my main weakness at this moment and the goal is to have fun and improve.

Anyway. While taking breaks from Faithey, I sketched. Decided it would be a lot more beneficial to give myself design briefs and adhere to them. Actually visualizing what a char could look up before putting down marks has proven to be an eye opener...

Much fun, can't wait to do more

[attachment=44954]
[attachment=44955]
[attachment=44956]

I think Faithey will be done by tomorrow. Jeeeez, see why personal illustrations are a huge weakness??! They take an eternity for me to finish!! Gonna have to do a complete master study afterward. :)

Night daggerrrs!
I was utterly wrong about Faithey. Spent the day on her once again... The amount of changes the piece is undergoing is ridiculous. Need to finish it tomorrow!! That's it, that's the deadline!!
Not going to post the wip because I said I'd only update with it when its was done, but when I upload it I'll upload the steps in a gif so y'all can see all the fail

Enter lousy sketches.
Just stuff after dinner:
[attachment=45039]
Pen ran out of ink as well. Pah!
much wow very smrrfette <3
Fedodika - D: such nice very thank <3

[attachment=45091]

Still...
Grinding...
Erghhhghghd,xA D
That's a really ambitious piece! Awesome!
Your sketches are looking beautiful. Looking forward too seeing where you take that last work.
Hey smrrfette. Great to see you still pushing these personal pieces.

Creating imaginative works (with or without reference) is a skill in itself. Doing studies is great but they're 'easy' in the respect that you're basically just copying something while trying to extract something useful from the process. With a personal piece you're having to work out everything from scratch and apply all that you've learnt.

I fell into the trap that I think a lot of people fall into; I would do lots of studies, some of them quite decent looking, then I would jump into a personal piece and it would be waaay behind the level that I'd achieved in my studies, so I'd get REALLY frustrated and think 'I'm not good enough to do imagintive pieces yet; back to doing studies.'

It took me a while to get out of this mindset. Personal pieces are far more difficult and humbling than studies, and it's really frustrating how long they take but don't ever stop doing them because that's how you really discover what level you're at and where your weaknesses are.

Thems my opinions anyhow. Keep up the good work!
You crazy ball of crazy you.
That foreshortening looks like a bitch. But I have no doubt that you will get there in the end. As always your sketchbook looks good. Maybe invest in a scanner, because I would love to see your sketches in better quality pics, also you may want to work on a few digitally afterwards? Cant wait to see more! :D
Oh wow I wasn't expecting so many wonderful comments! Thank you all, I will reply tomorrow <3 as today was hectic - lost track of time to say the least and so this sketch is all I have while eating brekky.

[attachment=45145]
Jaik - HAHA xD I'm thinking about doing it over to be honest :/ too much noodling and now I feel more confident in myself... although, I really want to do the Diablo contest and Bloodsports D: yeaaah I stopped scanning images in because my scanner is so sucky it sharpens edges like a biatch and the values are always off :'(
oh man, yes! I always tell myself I should do that and then forget haha
thanks for dropping by man, always appreciatiolayeded :3 and keep killinggg iiiittttt

Ignatz - My goodness... you sir... you are a wonderful person!! You've helped me out a bunch with your thoughts, really, can't thank you enough.
Many questions answered in a single reply so yeah speechless really haha + rep thanks again Ignatz! Keep up the awesome work!

CoreyH - Thanks Corey ^ ^ ! Me too actually haha

OtherMuzz - thanks Muzz! Gotta make it worthwhile, it is Faith after all! :3

Learned a ton today. A ton.

Can't wait to get more painting done - I'm thinking I'm going to enter the Diablo contest, then finish Faith (or at least rework her in my free time).

One of the many things I learned today, other than realising what I love most and want to achieve in my art (a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge achievement! woop woop!) was the importance of speed when doing personal work. I found it's a lot easier for the thought processes to keep momentum while you're working faster. At least, that's what I found. :)

Anyways, just two sketches. Ya I know sketches, I should do more finished work - I will! ;D

(ugh, dat saturation)
[attachment=45222]
(ugh, dat design)
[attachment=45223]

Keep on keepin' on, daggers!
Loving the pencils! It's easy to tell you're going to be killer when it comes to Penciling as you continue forward.

I'm seeing some more attention to edge work in your paintings as well, so kudos :D!
Einver - thanks Einver :) haha hoping to make that a reality one day, just gotta work at it! Aiiieeeee I need to work a lot on my paintings but thanks!

Not much, have been setting things up, reading articles on PACT, but managed to do some thumbs and comps for the DIII contest (9 days, pick it uppppppp ladyyyyy!!)

[attachment=45261]
[attachment=45262]
[attachment=45263]
[attachment=45264]
Seeing the physio tomorrow, hopefully he can give me some exercises or something idk. Maybe actually tell me wtf is going on for once haha

Anyways, night daggers o/
Lots of positive stuff happened today, although scary...

Finally saw a physio for my shoulder/arm problem that's been ongoing since about October 2013... and thank Hex I did. He told me I have the traps of an 80 year-old thanks for my highly un-ergonomic setup and had I not seen a physio soon, well, it'd be very difficult to have art as a career. So! Finally I have a diagnosis for this bs and hopefully it'll be a smooth recovery. Gotta stretch every 20mins and complete sets of exercises everyday.
I'm so happy to finally get this sorted :)

Maybe I'll finally be at 100% again!

Touch wood, ofc.

So here's a couple of things

quick morning sketch and master study wip

[attachment=45340]

[attachment=45341]
Left handed sketchbook page

[attachment=45438]
All of the passive study today

But did this thing as well. Still setting up the Companion - for the sake of good ergonomicssssss here I comeeee

much tired fails:
[attachment=45517]

Oh and man... NIN and QotSA rocked!! Can't and won't even bother to descrivte all of the feels. There was too many. Too many feels and emotions.

Exp + 2000!
Nice updates! Tried to do some left hand drawing the other day. Its pretty difficult. You make it look easy :)
Hope you get your shoulder back to 100%
crackedskull - thanks cracked, haha thats awesome! I'm glad to hear you have been! :) and yeah *fingers crossed*

setting up and testing out the new wacom after the expo:

[attachment=45559]

gotta work this out quick!

such boring updates I'm boring myself... gotta change that soon.
Ah you got the companion? Awesome! *Bring it next weekend so I can look see and touchy feel it all then not give it back then get it taken back then cry myself to sleep on the train home and miss my stop and not have enough money for a train ticket back and then become homeless stealing peoples cats for warmth then no one knowing where I am for years essentially ruining my art career*

Anyway.. good stuff! Post moar! D:
Jaik - Hahahahha you kill me, Jaik! x) will definitely bring it along :) working on it D:

Back to see the physio today, recommended I don't work longer than 20mins drawing otherwise the TOS could progress and resist all the stretches and massage therapy. Mmm. Feels pretty uncomfortable to work, but when there's a will, there's a way.

observation study:
[attachment=45690]
applying:
[attachment=45691]
couldnt finish this time round:
[attachment=45692]
dam 20 mins... u got it HARD GIRL! I'm still cheerin you on :3!