Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
(11-14-2023, 09:37 AM)JosephCow Wrote: I think 3D is going to level up my art a lot. There's certain things that are simple to do in 3D, like a row of golden columns, but tedious to draw by hand even if possible.

Yeah I agree.  I keep messing around with Blender and get so far and then revert back to 2D which always sets me back.

Anyway — enjoyed seeing the interior, Gxy cop and last figure.

Keep 'em coming

Absolutely wonderful sketchbook and great to see all the academic studies, this brought me back to my mid twenties when I was doing a lot of study work, and reminds me I should do more now at 42. I really loved the portrait studies you did of your self, the 8x10 pieces, and the knights and serpent image, along with some of the objects and still life studies you have going. Really awesome stuff here! Keep up the great work!

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
42, huh? There's no reason why I should be, but I'm surprised you are that much older than I am! I guess I always picture people on the internet being the same age as me. Thank you for stopping by and looking at my work! :)

(01-17-2024, 12:17 PM)JosephCow Wrote: 42, huh? There's no reason why I should be, but I'm surprised you are that much older than I am! I guess I always picture people on the internet being the same age as me. Thank you for stopping by and looking at my work! :)

Yup and I used to be surprised by some of the older artists on the forums as well. One day you will be one too, lol. There is that illusion that we are among peers on here, but the truth is its an all ages club and you never know who is who. Yes great work again, you got a lot of great stuff going on and it's all very inspiring. I just started a sketchbook myself so if you get a few ticks feel free to take a peek. You all inspired me with all these great studies and sketches.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Nice, the anatomy seems really solid! They look like statues you can see at a local museum, very well done. Can't offer much advice for blender at the moment but what you have is solid!

Study I did of a picture I took in Utah. Trying out brushes and doing foliage. I painted most of it in Krita and finished in Rebelle. I find it hard to start paintings in Rebelle for some reason? Maybe I'm just not that comfortable with it yet, but using the brushes to apply the final strokes I think is really effective for me.

I didn't make as many intentional changes to the photo as I would have liked actually, so it mostly looks photocopyish, but it was good practice anyway.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some male figure sketches. I haven't properly studied figure in a while, since I left school honestly. I spent a lot more time on it than I thought I would on the last one just because it was fun.

Attached Files Image(s)

You're just to good to be honest ahah at this point I'm just glad that my name is Joseph too I feel like the drawing gods are sending me a message lol

About your last figure drawings, may I ask why is the greenish background working so well ? Even in the less detailed ones it's amazing... My guess is it makes the reds pop more ?

This last one is really good. The anatomy looks pretty flawless to me.
Looks like you got a reeally solid understanding of the whole anatomy!
(Maybe if you see some flaws in my anatomy at some point you want to tell me how to learn it better! ;) )
(06-18-2024, 02:15 AM)Komodo Wrote: You're just to good to be honest ahah at this point I'm just glad that my name is Joseph too I feel like the drawing gods are sending me a message lol

About your last figure drawings, may I ask why is the greenish background working so well ? Even in the less detailed ones it's amazing... My guess is it makes the reds pop more ?

Thanks dude! I think there's at least three of us named Joseph here. Unite!

And idk I just chose green this time at random, just to kind of do something different because I always do tan and that's a little boring. It reminded me a bit of like old master drawing sometimes they would actually use light blue paper with colored chalks. But yeah when you put a bit of orange or red on green it looks beautiful.

(06-18-2024, 02:25 AM)Pensword Wrote: This last one is really good. The anatomy looks pretty flawless to me.
Looks like you got a reeally solid understanding of the whole anatomy!
(Maybe if you see some flaws in my anatomy at some point you want to tell me how to learn it better! ;) )

Thank you! I will check out your work!

Nice updates here Joseph. The photo study looks great, you've used improved colors and the shadows/highlights are spot on making the image very convincing.

Your recent anatomy studies look solid as well, love how you tackled the skin colors in particular, very convincing flesh tones while not being overworked. Good stuff!

(06-18-2024, 05:28 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Thanks dude! I think there's at least three of us named Joseph here. Unite!

Opportunity to start a group project - name the channel Jo-Jo Dojo

or don't.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
some really rough feet sketches because I struggle with feet

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Joseph!

Looks really nice - good structure, anatomy and lines. I think latest posts could benefit from maybe a wider range of values, high and low notes.

When it comes to the tree study I would've experimented with shapedesign more maybe. Pulling the tree and the bushes more together in that value range, maybe try to make that into a more unified interesting shape.

I'm certainly not an expert but my two cents. :)

Keep at it!

Hey thanks for your comments! :)

Hey, sorry I can't give critique cause I'm not good enough at art, but your work looks great to me.
When you say you've done VN backgrounds does that mean visual novel or something else? If it's a visual novel can you mention what it's named? Just wondering, but I understand if you don't want to cause you feel it's too awkward to tell people about your old art.
Also thought you might want to know, but your Artstation link leads to nothing, so you might want to update your signature. Maybe you deleted it because of all the AI being posted there.
Oh dang, yeah I updated the link in my signature, thanks for telling me!

Nice, those feet studies look great and are spot on anatomy wise!

I decided to remake another of my old backgrounds today and yesterday since I didn't have much going on. I used the same process of 3D modeling and painting over it. Honestly I'm pretty pleased with the result. Normally I like to paint a lot more from scratch, I don't really love just painting over something. But it's good to try something different. It's really just that I put more time modeling on the front end instead of more time drawing.

Render, and 
old painting for reference. One thing i really payed more attention to, apart from the sketchy drawing, was the eye level. In this painting I really went for almost a bird's eye view and it really felt awkward and didn't work. I tried to keep to the same vision but make sure it would actually look good for the visual novel, even though this is technically a mock project now.