Coreys Sketchbook
something that might help you with rendering, if you're feeling like it, paint traditionally? oils, large, preferably flat brushes? starting with a big brush, going more into detail as you proceed. try to make strong, energetic brush strokes. might be helpfull later to avoid any plastic photoshop looks (:
that's something fun you could try (:
Some really sweet stuff in here dude. That piece with the knights and the dragons is awesome. Budgie's got a point as well. Big brushes for as long as possible, if that's something you want to work on. I can't remember where I heard it, but I remember hearing tht you should basically get a brush that feels about right, then make it a little bigger.
So you should always be a little uncomfortable with the size of the brush, because then it makes you consider each stroke, rather than mindlessly noodling lol.

Keep it coming man, good work :)

Good job corey, keep at it !

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
So much good shit here, man. I think the exercise where you limit yourself to 20 brushstrokes is a great idea, so imma steal it for myself (mwa ha). I could crit small things like values/comp and whatever else, but I think it's all stuff you're already aware of and it's just a matter of time/practice/beating your head into brick wall to get it all down the way you want it. Ain't art fun? :) Keep up the good work!

Budgie - I definitely want to get back into traditional painting. I'll try and pick up some paints soon, sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

JakeB - I do mindlessly noodle a lot, my bush economy is awful haha. I'll try making it larger for sure, I can see how that would help. I did it one the 'limit to 20 brushstrokes' thing and it worked pretty well. Thanks heaps man.

Heavenwill - Thanks bro!

MrFrenik - It was a really fun exercise, definitely noticed a small improvement in my painting efficiency right away. If I kept it up I'm sure it'll help heaps. It is like that haha, like grinding your face against cement sometimes! But well worth the effort in the end ;p Thanks heaps for the comment :)

I've been trying to take peoples advice here and knuckle down on anatomy more. Did a couple hours of construction today, and some face studies in my moleskine.. will have to get photos of my traditional work soon. Crappy iPhone camera makes is pretty pointless.

Here's the PS stuff. So difficult! Really woke me up to how little I know about the human form.

More of this one the way for sure.

Also, for anyone interested, I came across this crazy Japanese Psychadelic.. math-rock.. instrumental band that I fell in love with today.

EDIT: Gah it looks like I hardly did anything. It took so damn long. So much practice to be done.

Some more anatomy and a movie study. Started some thumbs for a single cover I'm doing, will post them up tomorrow.

Cool anatomy stuff. Glenn Vilppu and Michael Hampton were my anatomy resources for the most part, and I highly recommend both to anyone trying to seriously nail down anatomy. Bridgeman and Loomis were a good beginning stepping stone, but for the hardcore I'd go with the former mentioned names. Also what were you trying to achieve with the movie study? Often I find that if I don't have a clear goal in mind when doing a study (lighting/values/form/color/etc) then all I end up doing is just copying a picture. Something I've started doing is to do what Anthony Jones calls "sprints", which are just small, isolated studies. Example - I want to study a particular lighting setup, so I'll grab about 6-9 different references images that all share this same lighting scenario. I'll set them up on one page and just make observation, take notes, paint quick, small examples to get the basic idea down. After that I try and apply it immediately to something. This way I'm actually combining studying with my original work. Hope some of this helps. Keep going!

Damn dude, shit just keeps getting better and better as I scrolled through the pages. You've got some steady heat on this. You'll be knocking us out by the time you hit page 10. <3 <3 <3
Frenik - Hey thanks man, getting stuck into the hampton studies. Fallen in love with his approach to anatomy. I feel like it will help all areas of my art. I didn't really have an aim with the movie concept, so it was pretty pointless. Fun though haha. The sprints sound like a great idea, I'll do them as a warm up tomorrow. Thanks heaps for your input man!

CKL - Hey! Thanks heaps mang, I'll keep at it and see where it goes haha.

Some thumbs. I've never really done these before, they were so much fun. Stressing your design over anything else... no idea why I haven't done them before. More coming tomorrow and hopefully the start of a render.

some more

more progress and some silly super quick thumbnails

Any critiques on the big guy are super appreciated.

Hey Corey, Thanks for posting in my SB. You have some pretty solid progress in your book too! You have a pretty solid read on textures in your most recent pieces. Keep up the solid work :)

Thanks tyler!

Heres my rendition of slenderman that we didn't end up using for the game :(

Not finished.. might finish him just because I like where it is headed

I love me some monsters and fucked up designs. :) And your renderings are getting better and better. Just be careful of not going too dark in your shadow sides, or at least if you realize you are doing it for an underexposed look, be super aware of it and why you're using it. Keep going!

Thanks man! I'll try and stray away from the dark a bit.

Some crap for tonight, liking where this painting is headed.. many hours to go though. Such a slow painter ; - ; Some face studies too...

I've been doing the studies entirely in pen. Trying to focus on line quality, and construction. I'm really enjoying the challenge of not being able to 'undo' in any way... harsh slap in the face learning how much confidence I lack in my lines. Looking forward to improving it.

Thanks for dropping by my SB.
Looking at the big slender guy gave me a rash. You did a very good job on the skin.
I take it you did work for the Slender game?
Looking good, keep it up.

"It's necessary to act against yourself or nothing will happen." -Phil Hale
Sketchbook|Go Team!
Hazzah! Hiya Corey! I found you! Why did you instagram the last study? That doesnt help us =(. Have you read Color and light? Because I highly recommend it. I've noticed on some the lighting just a tad bit inconsistent. I think your art would really benefit from reading over the first 2 chapters at least. They will perk your awareness to this in no time! Can't wait to see what you have for us next!

sketchbook
Is 12% hippy
We got this!
Look sweet dude, that gollum study, and the last couple of pieces especially. You're coming on leaps and bounds :) Looking forward to seeing where you take that painting :)

Markus - Hey thanks man. Yeah just for a hobby project with a couple mates.
Wing - Hullo wing! It's got to help me not you silly! :P I was just being lazy and liked how the blur looked haha. I'll try and hunt down that book, thanks for the advice :)
Jake - Thanks bro!

Ergh. I feel like I'm constantly being disappointed with how my art is coming out. Maybe I just have to spend more time on them. I'm so slow (this one is like.. 12 hours?) that I lose interest before it's finished.

Any advice? Just more discipline to spend more time on them?

Also done a few more face studies etc as always but haven't photographed them.

Just got settled in ready to start my art course.

Been working on this one