Darktiste Sketchbook
i really think youre wasting your time with these

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I think one of the error i did was to be too concern about copying.
I should have draw over the image instead and then later on just copy the image side by side
One of the other error seem to be that was using the wrong value for the sake of making object read.
It time to go back to the drawing board and check if i can improve on those point.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.

I also have videos from my full environment mentorship which are old now but potentially useful stuff for you on my channel. Link in my signature.

The biggest error you made was not really understanding what or why you are studying with 3 value tones and choosing terrible images to study from.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
The worst is that i been watching your stuff and trying to extract knowledge but i kinda fail to fuily extract it into something potable at the moment.I am working on it in the coming day.

My Sketchbook
Yeah If I were to redo the videos it would be to have a step in-between the 2 value notan (which is purely a warmup composition design exercise, NOT proper value study) and the full value sketch process from imagination. I didn't show anything about actually doing proper value studies, but it would be very similar to the value sketch process I use except you would be working from one reference. Or what Noah shows, except he doesn't show using reference on screen either
*EDIT ---- Actually Noah shows exactly the study process that I would do for any landscape value study, with ref side by side. So there's nothing confusing at all

Check out the assignment at end of the Notan video. https://sites.google.com/site/edrocks2015/assignment
You can also see people's submissions and all my crits on there. https://sites.google.com/site/edrocks2015/students
It's overkill, but should be enough. Ask questions if you are confused.

I think it starting to stick in my mind i also did one error where instead of matching value i use the same set of value for every piece.So instead of figuring out what was the nearest value it was termine to be of one of 3 tone.
The 3 tone where alway the same across all those study one white,mid grey,black.Pure black and pure white is stupid to use.

Would you consider it helpful for a begginer in value to use photoshop to turn a color image into it greyscale version first or should i studying straight out from color and try to figure out the color greyscale equivalent.

The example study really help me get an idea of the process since it repeat over and over.

Anyway no more over thinking i need to show some work so we can debug my flaw.

My Sketchbook
Analysing using PS before and after you do any study is going to be extremely useful so yes do it. The more specific things you take out of each study the better. You can do both. Studying straight from colour to value is also good and will be an increased challenge than only looking at grayscale.

Limited tonal studies are incredibly useful but for different reasons to understanding accurate value...a lot of these are more about compositional design, simplifying overall value grouping, shape design, basic light/shadow arrangement.

4 tone value mapping study.Learning to squint as much as possible really seem to be the key to this playing with hue and saturation with the magic wand selecting chuck of value seem to be simplfiying the process.Just gotta make sure the tolerance is set to an acceptable number so that value close in value don't get selected as one unit by the magic wand.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
This finish my 10 4 value mapping review since i had a few couple feedback i was doing a few thing wrong hopefully i did some improvement on what have been said.Atleast i got some mileage to see if there any progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
One of the most valuable things in doing studies like this is the simplification of shapes. Personally, I have found that one of the most important skills to develop in painting is the skill of painting from big to small shapes. Starting with big simplified shapes and working to smaller shapes really leads to better results. Maybe this is something you could take notice of as you are doing these value studies?

Hope that helps dude.

Keep going though and thank you for contributing to the life of this forum :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I am aware of the big shape approch to drawing.Working small also.My biggest enemy is drawing small there something so enjoyable about overendering stuff but if it lead to weak result so why bother if you can get result working small.

My Sketchbook
Hello darktiste,

I think you have entirely mastered the shape study , why don't you try doing some line or value study of environment to apply it? I'm sure it'd turn out pretty cool !
(10-18-2018, 03:30 AM)Baldgate Wrote: Hello darktiste,

I think you have entirely mastered the shape study , why don't you try doing some line or value study of environment to apply it? I'm sure it'd turn out pretty cool !

I will probably be doing this in a while i still need to fix my perspective and light in my opinion and i don't think full environnement are the best route yet to approach those problem.But i choose to go back to doing some anatomy because after all i want to be a creature designer so environnement is secondary to me.It not easy choosing what to focus on i seem to enjoy more than i can chew.

My Sketchbook
Not much to say right now i am focusing on the element of the head.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Drawing on a template female head different female hairstyle and got distracted and started to design head wear.First attempt was aim at looking at my rendering skill level so far for hair.The rest of the hair style are just quick exploration.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Drawing on a template male head different male hairstyle and got distracted and started to design head wear.Those are quick exploration not meant to be rendered.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hi Darktiste, Its cool that you spend some time doing hair design, but why do you use a template? Did you do it? I think drawing a more realistic face yourself would help train your anatomy, since you re looking to be a creature designer.
While it may be a stylistic choice, I think adding some volume to your hair (like loomis for example) , would help selling it. What I notice first is that there is no hairline in all of them except one, but in the clean looking symmetrical cut like the third for example you would have one in the center. Also, I think it would be cool to have some overlapping strand that suggest volume. You probably know that, if yes please ignore, drawing hair from a photo and simplifying them in simple mass could help greatly in stylizing them.
@Baldgate
Doing some was Face iteration was not the goal the focus was on hair design.The hair are also made simple to have a large amount of exploration rather than highly render exploration i am still getting use to drawing different type of hair style and lenght of hair so it more of an exercise on flow and style.It will eventually be moving into rendering but i don't believe to be there yet and as you mentioned i am moving toward creature design so there a limit i must have to move on to other more pressing matter i will eventually cycle back to improve on hair if necessary. There alot of subject in my road and rendering isn't my biggest concern as of yet.
I alway take in consideration comment so there no bad comment just feedback on what to ajust for the next session.

My Sketchbook
This seem to have taken to much time but it was still my first attempt so i guess i will be doing better in the future.Note i didn't intended to make it into the more defined side of the reference.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Tried working on illustrator this time.

Note after looking back at my work
Looking back the cheek plane should meet the eye socket corner but it doesn't it meet with the wrong corner of that socket.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook