Felidarc's Sketchbook
I'm always glad to get suggestions and critique of any kind. There's still a huge variety of things I need to focus on. The first half of this year I've spent practicing in my Sketchbook and improving my anatomy. It's time to get the digital in again - and push push on.

[Image: tumblr_mskix2hZRL1shwqfno1_1280_zpsb369a925.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msjor0TAhs1shwqfno1_1280_zps79ddcf0f.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msjojhE9IY1shwqfno2_1280_zps10086327.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msjojhE9IY1shwqfno1_1280_zpsbbaf8275.jpg]

Now this..Sailor Pig, uuh I mean Uranus Picture needs some major workover. Had someone give me a paint over (thanks again <3) so I'll see if i can fix it the next few days.

[Image: tumblr_msjojhE9IY1shwqfno4_1280_zps76e11824.jpg]

[Image: anschel_zps34a5a41b.jpg]

^ Sketch for something in Progress

[Image: petitemermaid_zpsa9445a98.jpg]

^ In progress, working on it right now to finish it.

Finished the mermaid. Working on an unicorn now. I mainly did the mermaid to judt keep me painting an practicing so there's a massive lacking of idea &storytelling.
[Image: the_harp_player_by_felidarc-d6l4zig.jpg]

The Last Unicorn in progress. Focussed on values and composition heavily before continuing to render it out. I even value sketched before doing a line sketch. That really paid off, i suggest trying it to anyone.

[Image: tumblr_msrs7ybuId1sfe6heo3_250.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msrs7ybuId1sfe6heo2_250.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msrmouiKG11shwqfno4_250.jpg]

I realized the Unicorn art is a bit too far out of my skill reach. So I'm taking a step back to practice some things before finishing it. ;v; I really need to do more skin studies. And do a first-in-my-life-clothstudy. ughh.

Today's crappy morning studies. Need to go do homework now. Are photostudies really the way to go? Or should I rather to my own Illustrations and reference from photos - to have to translate things into a picture straight away? hmm.

[Image: tumblr_msuvokh1zL1sfe6heo1_500.jpg] [Image: tumblr_msuvokh1zL1sfe6heo2_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_msuvokh1zL1sfe6heo3_500.jpg]

Great practise there, Id personally love to see that sailor moon image finished, it was a cool concept with some very dynamic looking lighting.

Mmm, I'm digging the hair and colors on the mermaid girl, but something feels flat on het torso. I like the photo study of a face in your first post, because it feels kinda sculpty. But, I miss this on the upper torso of the mermaid. The colors feel right, but there's an error in the form. Her rib cage on the right should be sticking out more, and het hip on the right side can be a bit rounder. Perhaps you could also clean up some rendering a bit, that would make it extra awesome (; take a larger brush and just, how to explain is, less dotty? I'm missing some sharp edges, especially on the hands. Also, the dark area underneath looks very very dark and kinda empty, you probably just did not do that part yet, but you could take a look at that. Oh, almost forgot, het torso seems very long. Like, where that golden ring is, that's probably where her crotch should be. But, it's a mermaid, you could have wanted it like that.

Great practise, love your color usage, and keep arting :D

Cheers!

Hey Vandal! Thank you! I definately plan on finishing sailor uranus one day, I just need to practice a bit first ^^;

Hey Budgie! Thank you very much for the feedback! Really appreciate you taking time for it. I absolutely agree on the anatomical issues! I think it's an issue with me not understanding the masses of a body and the forms in 3D, so I've spent yesterday doing some loomis practices. Boy do I suck at them, but i know now what my issue with the body was. Ta fir pointing that out! Ill try to keep all your suggestions in my head for the next works <3

Done a few studies, the Angelstatue one helped me especially with body mass. Done a lot of Torso mass and plane studies but I'm too lazy right now to scan them in

[Image: tumblr_msyz68Q3X01shwqfno3_r1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mt2l9smxpV1shwqfno3_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mt2l9smxpV1shwqfno1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mt2l9smxpV1shwqfno2_500.jpg]

Nice studies!

Good balance of studies and personal work.

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks you two!! =)

Took a break over the weekend so here's todays colour study. 2 hours, I'm really not satisfied with it, but I guess I learned a lot about colour & lighting.

[Image: tumblr_mt7ztsQSL81shwqfno2_r1_500.jpg]

Study, went better than the first one but still ughh.

[Image: tumblr_mtddo72BUG1shwqfno1_500.jpg]

I feel a bit stupid updating my sketchbook with single entries :9 but I usually do one study a day since the rest of the day I have to do university works and I kinda like keeping this Sketchbook as a diary.

So I'm not gonna post today's study since it's based on some other digital artist and I feel it's a bit cheap if I personally post someone's work and then put my crappy copy next to it.

tl;dr: Today's no-ref, maybe 50 mins?:
[Image: tumblr_mtfdqboI3D1sfe6heo1_400.jpg]

I'm really digging your head studies especially the one from yesterday - the colours are great. Only one thing - I think the mouth is a little bit too high and the nostril should be bigger. Otherwise really nice studies[/code].
Also to answer your question - I think the right way to go is to do studies and personal stuff (with reference) at the same time (something that I'm failing to do but will start to very soon).
Mermaid looks awesome :)
Keep it up man.

Had a long drawing break due to illness/school work and now my brain seems to have degenerated a bit ;v; Did some studies and decided to just doodle a few faces. One of them turned into this:

[Image: tumblr_mu5nm6mOnc1sfe6heo1_500.jpg]

I'm not really happy with this. I am kinda, but that drawing still shows everything that I'm lacking skillwise T_T. Ah well, decided I'd stop tinkerin about with it and just upload it since I should be doing homework ahh.

University keeps me so busy. Need to learn to plan my time better.

Quick lazy no ref
[Image: tumblr_muwu4j6n7W1shwqfno2_500.jpg]

Study
[Image: tumblr_munqfl8Sr21shwqfno1_500.jpg]

Busy busy. Here's a little selection of some studies/no refs.
Man, I seriously suck at values. I just seem to miss something important for understanding - so I'll keep practicing until I get it. (Maybe read some Gurney? hmhm)

[Image: tumblr_mvosabaM0c1shwqfno1_500.jpg]

First few environment tries
[Image: tumblr_mvwnbr6DHJ1shwqfno1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mvos5i5dWo1shwqfno6_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw425gI3SZ1sfe6heo2_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw425gI3SZ1sfe6heo1_500.jpg]

I'm so super angry with this quick piece:
[Image: tumblr_mwlznipARj1sfe6heo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw3wt1ogul1shwqfno3_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mw3wt1ogul1shwqfno2_1280.jpg]

Elvgren colour study:
[Image: tumblr_mw3wt1ogul1shwqfno1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mvos5i5dWo1shwqfno1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mvqn7mCara1shwqfno1_500.jpg]

Artwork: 3 hours
dude: 40 minutes

I didnt even notice I was that quick with the artwork, i guess practicing is paying off. Painted that one on my day off university and felt like doing something I enjoy (why hello there comfort zone) so I don't really think finishing this would benefit me ~ <3

Artwork
[Image: tumblr_mwmehv1fSy1sfe6heo1_500.jpg]

Dude:
[Image: tumblr_mwo9n6idRO1sfe6heo1_500.jpg]

I really like a lot of the choices you make with your lighting. Sometimes its better then the lighting in your reference.

Great sketchbook, its looking really cool.
That last 3 hour piece you did is really nice, i like the mood it gives off. Doing some still lifes of similar situations will help you work some more subtle colours into the shadow side of your pieces though, which will really help them pop.
Keep up the good work :)