Shin's Sketchbook
Really don't know about my values after all the studies i done..

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
Didn't post in a while so here's a little update..

-materials

-values

-and some speedpaints

Excellent work with those textures.

Your material studies are really turning out amazing. How many of them have you done? Maybe when you reach 100 you should put them all on one sheet so we can see it. What I've noticed is that you are working with very big contrast values -very strong shadows and strong highlights. What is more challenging to try understanding some values that are very strong and they don't go too much into black or white. Try finding some neutral pictures which values are similar- you will realise the strougle but on the other side have fun trying to get depth. Hope it will help : )

Also, as I told you already, it's time to start doing stuff on your own. Try applying your studies into something that you want to paint : )

CD dA FM  MaL
Trying out some stuff and experimenting..

Hey Shin I've never seen your book before, looking good so far keep pushin!

Workshop enthusiast
Blog!
Steam
Workshop blog
Strim
(09-05-2014, 08:21 AM)Mr. Toodles Wrote: Hey Shin I've never seen your book before, looking good so far keep pushin!

I try ! : )

Some more stuff, been focusing more on learning the anatomy and stuff~

-materials

-photo/color studies.. didn't do these in a while

-speedpaints

-armies and random quick torso

Didn't do portraiture in a looong time, too busy geting torso locked down..

Also, just wanted to say i calibrated my monitor not so long time ago so i don't know how my pics are shown for you guys but for me, these grayscaled are shown a bit brighter here than on the original, is it just me or ?

Don't wanna make excuses but with more school, less time for painting..

-still life

-and still struggling with back torso..

Great work Shin, love the mouse : ) In Hamtpon's book he's always simplifying the muscles to a shape that's memorable - e.g. the trapezius from the back looks like a dagger with a jewel set in the hilt, or the sterno-mastoid looks like a baseball bat; maybe try and figure out some shapes that have meaning for you to help remember where / how everything fits together - doesn't matter how abstract, anything that helps you remember. Good luck man! Also School's important and won't last forever, it's a noble thing to put off drawing for : )

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(09-13-2014, 02:50 AM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: Great work Shin, love the mouse : ) In Hamtpon's book he's always simplifying the muscles to a shape that's memorable - e.g. the trapezius from the back looks like a dagger with a jewel set in the hilt, or the sterno-mastoid looks like a baseball bat; maybe try and figure out some shapes that have meaning for you to help remember where / how everything fits together - doesn't matter how abstract, anything that helps you remember. Good luck man! Also School's important and won't last forever, it's a noble thing to put off drawing for : )

Yes, i did a bit of a research about it and it gave me some useful knowledge, now all that's left is lots and lots of practice : )
And i hope my monitor doesn't give me any troubles since i made lots of calibrating tests.. >.<

-still life

-materials

-speedpaints

-and some more experimenting stuff~

Hey, i looked all your skecthbook, nice progression!

On the last portrait, my opinion is that you must use more medium values on the shadows of skin and some highlights in front of the lighting.

Here the hair has about same values than the back neck, it don't detach from the rest of the body.

But after that, anatomy looks like right :)

sorry for my poor english :P

(09-21-2014, 10:34 PM)Spolyk Wrote: Hey, i looked all your skecthbook, nice progression!

On the last portrait, my opinion is that you must use more medium values on the shadows of skin and some highlights in front of the lighting.

Here the hair has about same values than the back neck, it don't detach from the rest of the body.

But after that, anatomy looks like right :)

sorry for my poor english :P

Hey there and thanks for sharing your opinion, i have problems with my monitor displaying the values so my saved pics get darker than they should be but either way, i'll see what i can do.

Now to attack on torsos..

-with reference

-crappy mind stuff

-color thumbnails

-speedpaint

-material

-torso studies, will probably focus on this more most of the next week

Something quick..