CRIMSON ARENA 1-Child of Zeus
CRIMSON ARENA:CHILD OF ZEUS- GUEST JUDGE: JOHN SILVA

UPDATE: WATCH THE JUDGING STREAM HERE
[Image: 7cb1785da00f33f6c5d36c7325326d07.png]
UPDATE: WATCH THE JUDGING STREAM HERE

Hello everyone and welcome to the first Crimson Arena created by Forrest Imel and myself. This challenge is meant to push you to the limit and out of your comfort zone and make you produce a kick ass piece that goes straight to the top of your portfolio.

Our frist challenge is the Child of Zeus challenge. Your job is to take a child of Zeus (Athene, Apollo, Heracles/Hercules....etc) and depict them in any style and genre you want.
SO anything goes from Sci-fi hero Hercules to Steam-punk Wargod Ares.

The piece can be either horizontal or vertical. We are emphasizing Composition and Design.
here is a list of Zeus' children..he was a busy man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus#Consorts_and_children

Remember, the god and style/genre is completely up to you. These gods have symbols and stories associated with them that you should research to bring them to life.

You CAN depict a scene from their mythos but it is not required.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Must contain a character and a background that works with the character (can contain multiple characters but the god should be the focus of the image)

Must have the god's symbols somewhere as part of the design.

Must include Studies (thumbnail sketches, poses, material, mood...etc) done for the piece to be eligible to enter.

Our first guest judge is the Amazing John Silva who will look at your work and offer feedback to the winners of the Challenge.
[Image: 9969ebc7135d41b5798295dddb17be1d.jpg]

DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY, MAR 19th

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
Here is some stuff to get you guys inspired. We're really wanting to see you guys do some serious research on whatever God you're doing and show us that you spent a good amount of time on the design, as well as where that character is placed.

Don't just paste some mountains or some fields behind a very detailed character, both should be considered very carefully before being executed in the final image. Good luck everyone, can't wait to see what you all do :)

[Image: ref-inspiration.png]

Sounds cool. I may be up for this.

Can you clarify a wee bit about what's needed for the studies requirement. I mean, can I just check that off if I include one sketch of me in a toga, or are there a certain number (or quality) of studies expected?

here is an example of what Alex Negrea did for the bloodsports. something like this.
[Image: FATTY%2BPOTTER%2BBTS.JPG]

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
yeaaaah babe

Sweeeet!

However the short deadline is going to be a little bit of a pain so it's maybe something to consider for the next challenge. Also the name Crimson Arena first gave me the impression that artists where to somehow duel in art to art combat ;)

Anyway, sounds like a cool challenge and I'm definitely in. Never did any of the Bloodsports so this is going to be fun and new!

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
good stuff guys, i was missing some challenge here, i'm on it.

Nice! Crimson Daggers for life o/ we arent so active nowadays, but we're not dead, wooho.

I liked it, specially the NO RUSHED ENTRIES.

I'm currently with some work to do, but I'll try to fit this in. Nice iniciative you two!

I'm gonna paint nymphs, bitches love nymphs

Workshop enthusiast
Blog!
Steam
Workshop blog
Strim
OH MY GOD SERIOUSLY ??????? SUPER EFFECTIVE I JUST FAINTED I LOVE CRIMSON DAGGERS PLEASE ACCEPT MY NEWBORN, LUNGS, AND KIDNEYS DAGGERS 4LYFE AND 4EVA THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woot! Bloodsports: the next generation! Definate gonna join in the fun

Oh hell yes!

Niiiiice :D Sounds awesome so I'll maybe join :)

Looking forvard to seeing all the entries, gonna participate aswell.

totally in :D where to post progress? create a new thread on community challenge with specific title or anything like that? help!

this sounds fun! i'm gonna join in :)

@Madzia: feel free to start posting up WIPs and thumbnails and studies in here :)

Im trying something new here, but im not quite sure if it fits with this competition.

The idea that I had was to illustrate the character sculpting a version of himself, so in essence the design of the character carries over to the sculpture. Should mention that I chose Hephaistos(the god of crafting).

Heph is working on a miniature sculpture on the foreground and through god powers creating a huge statue on the background(which is also a focal point).

I also have an idea to present multiple other mortal craftsmen praying to him and a large sum of people praying to the statue.

Does anyone have any feedback to this?

Compositions, also design studies for arhitecture.

crackedskull: thats a cool idea! and definitely more original than mine haha, though i think only Magic/Cryptids card like formats were allowed? In any case, i like the idea.

I'm still deciding what i want to do plus i havent painted anything for a while so i'm going to take it easy and start with a few sketches and concepts.

My choice is Enyo, goddess of war and destruction, sister and lover of Ares.
Her domains were the most visceral aspects of war, bloodlust, chaos and destruction.

So i picture her as an uncanny valley girl in a rugged greek outfit, slaughtering whole armies by herself, breaking trough Phalanx formations like she is cutting butter and stuff like that.
So the illustration could go in that direction. I can also imagine her being all soft and nice in a really creepy way while calling Ares onii chan, lol.

Edit: i just realized this one looks an awful lot like the chick from League of Legends, but its based on a completely different character, Shiro, from Deadman Wonderland.

EduardoGaray and crackedskull nice start!
I hope that I did not interpreted it too loosely. I picked Goddess Hebe. She was the cupbearer for the gods, serving their nectar and ambrosia, until she was married to Heracles. She was goddess of youth.
I thought about American Gods by Nail Gaiman where Greek gods had new modern roles (same in Percy Jackson & the Olympians) I would like to make illustration in Norman Rockwell style or anything in the spirit of the ~50' magazine illustrations :D
Hebe has less charisma than many of the Greek Goddesses, relying on her gifts to get attention. She was also said to be clumsy. Perfect teenage waitress serving modern Ambrosia - coffee :D

Here's some studies from photos

And first approach to thumbnails. I rejected 5 & 6 because i don't want to end up with pin-up. I like 2. It show a lot of energy and composition is quite good. But I will try few more just to check what else I can do with it :)