Artloader - Sketchbook
@MikesQuest:  Thanks for reading through mate - although you don't need to draw the arc - you just need to make sure the lengths are the same - just use a pen or something to visually measure it.

@Auroraborealis:  Thanks for stopping by - doesn't grisaille just mean grayscale?  I just did a grayscale underpainting and painted colour over the top was all.

I've been pushing on with my book cover project in the background but am also still wanting to level-up my enviro skills.  I've decided to do 100 architectural sketches.  Here's the first one (The Hanging Temple in China):

I also need to get back to doing Amit's EDR class at some point.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hadn't done a figure study for a while - forgotten how much I enjoy figures:

Ref:
[Image: John-Cena1.jpg]

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Heh... I stand corrected. I meant the glazing colour over the tonal painting bit! :P Had been under the impression that acrylic was super opaque. XD *clueless*

Anyhoo, that figure study is awesome! Love the blue.

@Auroraborealis:  Thank you and I'm sure you are not clueless but the acrylics I use (cheap ones) do have a degree of transparency so this allows for the underpainting approach.

OK so carrying on from my Shoutbox gruntings, I've been trying to see if I can make myself enjoy drawing architecture.  Well I started off being terrified of it but although I'm not sure that I enjoy it yet - after doing 5 sketches, I'm not as scared as I used to be:

CD Sketchbook

Quick still life of a teaspoon for tonight since I need to paint a teaspoon for this book cover I'm working on and because I've never done a still life in Clip Studio Paint before!  Messed about with chalk brushes and then the smudge tool:

CD Sketchbook

Those pen drawings are lovely.
Your acrylic paintings are also coming along nicely - I should try your grisaille underpainting technique :)
Your pen drawings are super tight, really nice.

@Yenchi: Thanks :) I'm trying to shake my fear of drawing architecture.  Yeah give the grisaille underpainting a go and show us dude - I'm planning to try some more too.

@NoodleInBox:  Thanks!

Steam study:

CD Sketchbook

How did you manage to make the pen sketches look clean? I was wondering how you pull off those perspectives in your architectural sketches.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
@John: I start off focussing on copying accurately first (Dorian Iten style), then I build on this with perspective work.

CD Sketchbook

Finally got going on my book cover project, in progress:

CD Sketchbook

Hey Artloader, Ever heard of Daz3d studio? it's a free software that you can pose a figure in, maybe you could make good use of it ;)

https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
@Fedodika:  Hey thanks for the tip-off - yeah I've heard of it before but never tried it out - I must get round to it when time allows.

Having to go back a few steps on that book cover - I don't think it was obvious that the kettle was a kettle so I've changed the composition a bit.  Here's a 3D block in I did in Blender to use as a reference for perspective and lighting (the side view should make the kettle more obvious hopefully):

I'm a bit worried that my primary and secondary focal points compete too much (I want the viewer to look at the kettle first but I think it might be the mug they look at first).  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

CD Sketchbook

I love how clean those pen drawings are, especially architectural sketch 4 & 5. Keep it up! :D

@Jackeloop:  Thanks for the love :) I will do my best to keep it up!  

Here's another architectural sketch - the accuracy near the top of the building is a bit off - got to go back and study more at the feet of Master Dorian Iten:

[Image: 2986055406_a97025252f_b.jpg]

CD Sketchbook

Ow, nice and loose. turned out great. ^^

@Steeliebob: Thanks!

Here's a rabbit study for my book cover project (trying to learn how to render fur):

CD Sketchbook

Making headway with my book cover piece:

CD Sketchbook

Solid environments and studies, your rendering style is nice. I especially like that pass you made in Blender, I'm a sucker for mood lighting in 3D.

@Dangelo:  Thanks dude, yeah I'm hoping I can use Blender to generate references for my work.

OK I recently have been wanting to put together a set of daily art training drills for myself.  Drills that if I do these every day for the next 6 months I will level up like a boss!

Here's my drills for today (don't look at those cubes - they are really bad since I find it really difficult to draw from the shoulder on a tablet):

CD Sketchbook