Tfantoni's Sketchbook
(01-24-2020, 08:24 AM)Artloader Wrote: Nice :).  Are the curtains translucent or completely opaque?

I would like them to be opaque, it makes more sense to me hahahah

trying to get some colors right but it's been really painful
send halp

Not sure if I can be helpful or not, but I encourage you to shrink your image down in size and basically do lots of little colour exploration thumbnails. There's always so much pressure to "get it right" when you're trying to find colours for the final piece, so experimenting small will help.

I know you already have a vibe going on, but look at Nathan Fowkes' colour studies!

[Image: a21e297f3e9fd1a43593915e3364dec3.jpg]

Also the curtains should be blocking out light, right? Unless they are the sheer see through type
thanks a lot, chubby cat! <3

I know doing some color thumbs is the right thing, and actually, I'm planning to try out some slight color variations using photoshop filters lol. not the same thing, for sure, but this basic color palette, in particular, got stuck in my head so much I decided to keep it this time.

so after some fixing I believe it looks better now. regarding the curtains, yes, it should, but I still don't know how to modify them to block out light partially

With the curtains maybe assume they are completely opaque and then re-draw your shaft of light.

Then you can compare that with your previous shaft and work out where to make shafts of partial light?

Not sure if that helps. If not I will give it a go myself and post to see if it is helpful :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(02-10-2020, 06:22 AM)Artloader Wrote: With the curtains maybe assume they are completely opaque and then re-draw your shaft of light.

Then you can compare that with your previous shaft and work out where to make shafts of partial light?

Not sure if that helps.  If not I will give it a go myself and post to see if it is helpful :).

actually I'd love to see some paint over of yours, it will be easier to understating what came to your mind ^^ thank you in advance <3

current status:

so I did it
say hi to my rendition of the meme lol

the dorime rat

Hey there Tfantoni :).

I've done a quick paintover to illustrate what I meant - I drew in a green rectangle of where the curtains are not blocking the light to further describe my thinking - hope this helps - if not please ignore :).

Also don't be afraid to search around for reference images of stuff if you're ever stuck on a problem.  I found a helpful article here that reminds us that shafts of light are only visible if there is smoke or something similar in the room.  Otherwise all we will see is where the light hits an object.

http://neiloseman.com/5-tips-for-perfect...-of-light/

Another great resource if you can get it is the book How To Render by Scott Robertson, he has a great section on how to construct shadows using perspective and geometry - it is fantastic in my opinion.

Keep it going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

One little suggestion: Paint the surfaces where the light lands instead of the shaft. The shaft would only show in a very dusty or smoky air. With the shaft altering the color and saturation of everything within it, you are losing the sense of volume. Painting the highlights on the surfaces instead will strengthen it.

@artload and @Leo Ki, thanks a lot, really!

I kept the shaft because I like how it shaped the elements of the scene and since it's a more cartoony style, I think that's some valid artistic license ^^

here's the stuff I did since then!

current painting I'm working on

Nice work on the recent image, some really great choices in colors and I'm loving those lighting effects!

thanks a lot @cgmythology! <3

some recent studies for ya

first commission of the year, I was getting desperate already

The color are nice and fit the mood.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
thank you darktiste!

I'm painting this and not liking how it looks so far ;(

another finished commission. teeth are hard to paint oh boy

still not finished but I'm starting to like more this painting

studying to improve the latest painting, it was painful :P