Rotohail's "Reclusive" SketchBook
Bro you JUST GOTTA FINISH SOMETHING Youre at that point bro DO ITTT!!!

you sketch awesome stuff, FINISH EEET DOOOO EEET PLZ

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I like those simple form study against the black background with that soft foggy transition and a simple cast shadow.But yeah that probably not what you want to show in a portfolio if you wanna make one...

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(12-12-2019, 06:48 AM)Fedodika Wrote: Bro you JUST GOTTA FINISH SOMETHING Youre at that point bro DO ITTT!!!

you sketch awesome stuff, FINISH EEET DOOOO EEET PLZ

B-but I'm d-doing that... ha ha. Now seriously what do you mean with finishing something? Like clean up everything tight and well or just keep pushing the pages I have started? If it's the later, I'm doing so, just I've been jumping between several pages at once this time around, trying to work on many things little by little, which is tougher than I had imagined, I lose track of what I'm doing. If it's the former, I'm slowly building towards more polish but is already challenging to me to be focusing on value, color, and light in general. Gotta keep it steady without breaking! ha.

(12-12-2019, 06:56 AM)darktiste Wrote: I like those simple form study against the black background with that soft foggy transition and a simple cast shadow.But yeah that probably not what you want to show in a portfolio if you wanna make one...
Heya! Those are based on Scott Robertson " How to render", I've recently read it and while I still have to read it a few more times, I wanted to start practicing out the lessons. I'm trying to include all of what I learn into what I do. See how it goes. I'm not really looking to make portfolio pieces just yet, mainly, I don't even know what my portfolio should be about, so many things I want and have to learn about, and improve at. I want to be better rounded before I think of any of that.

Leaving the portrait study page done, working steadily on the others, but very little progress on my main one with the characters sitting ha... ha... Stuck. Send help...
Get back to work!
O-Okay...

Where that girl reference with the blue light? I feel like something is off on that part.

My Sketchbook
(12-15-2019, 04:17 AM)darktiste Wrote: Where that girl reference with the blue light? I feel like something is off on that part.
Well don't worry much about studies I make, I can more or less tell where I miss the mark on these, usually a few hours after having worked on them ha! I would rather get comments about my personal stuff or construction, since I don't have anything to fall back on with those.

Nonetheless, here it is.
https://img.fireden.net/ic/image/1574/43...623908.jpg

I basically fuck up proportions like always, some slants and directions aren't right, the colors on certain spots aren't as saturated (oranges around highlights or SSS places), the highlights aren't as bright, and I would like to have added more darker details on the hair, which I ignored. The list goes on! ha ha. Did you find out what was bothering you?
The word i was looking for was saturation but without ref it hard to give an honest critic that more my point.I know you probably benefit more from a personal project critic than a study since you probably throw away a few fundamental to focus on a particular thing will doing a study since you want to test stuff .Since we can't enter your head that the problem and it hard also to determine what your trying to achieve i think and even if you manage to express it clearly only a few might understand how to push you into that particular direction.I like how you put many study in one page you seem to be the kind of person who is all over the place in term of study but that just my own feeling.Maybe i am just to structured myself.What i am trying to say is as long as you understand what fundamental your trying to improve it will inject direction.If you start something and it not already clear what your trying to achieve you will work more by interest than by intention and that can be detrimental to your progress but atleast it keep the flame burning.I hope you find your direction that what i am trying to say.

My Sketchbook
Inspiring sketchbook, I can see you are working hard. Those studies are looking real nice! Definitely want to see more from you :)
Thanks Shuty.

I've been putting off updating my SB since I wasn't finishing anything, went into a slump at the end of December due to life stuff, didn't get back into drawing until early February. I've been doing daily challenges thanks to someone else who gave me the push and I feel it's been for the best, even when I still struggle, I'm finding my way a bit better. Still the road ahead always seems to get longer instead of shorter.
Anyways, I'll leave some of the highlights of this past 2 months. It's a mixed bag of studies and personal work, they are unordered.
Back to the trenches!

Attached Files Image(s)

This is one of those threads where you see the artist update and think "gosh, Batman, I don't know why this guy feels so bad about himself when he draws that well".

Do you think you've expended a lot of time and effort into building technical skill but aren't quite sure what motivated you to do so in the first place? It's a common problem.

Or is the prospect of working long and hard on a single painting simply too intimidating? If so, you may just have to decide on a picture and jump into it when your life situation is stable enough for you to focus on something.
Wow Rotohail! I love your sketchbook so much I just went through all of it!

I think the combination of how well you draw along with how well you paint really hits the sweet spot.

I love how your drawings are well constructed and well proportioned and your values and colours are really believable and convincing.

Really cool stuff, good luck with the hand by the way hope it stays healthy for you :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

The reality is you will always be your own worst critic and it should stay that way.But we should never be afraid of the struggle we should be afraid of not trying anymore.

My Sketchbook
hey roto... i love your work, i guess i'll give a critique since im appreciating the advanced level youre getting to;

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...oup_02.png

This critique doesnt apply to this^, the story and mood is there. However, she could be more welcoming, maybe hip out, hands on hip, head cocked to one side.

So a lot of your stuff is like, "thats nice, thats cool, nice shape." etc. But i dont sense a feeling of story or interaction between the characters. Now a character can interact with themself, which is why say they have a weapon, or they are an athlete, etc. Throwing a punch is a good story, and you push that but what im encouraging is to push it further

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...&anger.png

See this screaming guy; why's he screaming? how could you push that idea to make it more like the narrative he's displaying. He's angry, hunched over, arms spread out. He's beastlike, maybe on all fours, try to work in some foreshortening. The lady next to him looks bored, but she could more bored. Being bored is a story in itself. How do you show someone looking really really bored? hand on their cheek? slouching, indifferent expression, rolling their eyes.

Things are becoming less of a technical exercise for you at this point and youre ready to say something, but i know its tough to decide what to say. Ive been recently enjoying Force Drawing with Matessi on his website; its teaching me a lot about sending power through a drawing, as well as a narrative; its really interesting stuff!

Alot of your characters have good expressions and you can still push them, even the ones that seem whacky already

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...onster.png

Like this guy, why stop there? his mouth could be open, his tongue lunging out; further, he could be in a pose that sells the story of his long hair, right now its just a purple ball with a funny face and long hair standing. I know a lot of this takes a lot of abstract thought, but it really sells stuff in a different way. Animators are masters at it, taking a pose and pushing the very essence of everything it expresses... Worth studying, even if youre just observing casually.

Keep pummeling deez hoez roto

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(04-13-2020, 10:09 PM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: This is one of those threads where you see the artist update and think "gosh, Batman, I don't know why this guy feels so bad about himself when he draws that well".

Do you think you've expended a lot of time and effort into building technical skill but aren't quite sure what motivated you to do so in the first place? It's a common problem.

Or is the prospect of working long and hard on a single painting simply too intimidating? If so, you may just have to decide on a picture and jump into it when your life situation is stable enough for you to focus on something.
Ha ha! Sorry! I didn't mean to come across like that. I was trying to say even when I can feel the improvement, the goalpost keeps feeling like an insurmountable task ha ha. Or I just keep moving the goalpost lol. I'm not feeling bad about my drawing tho, just more like chastising myself for laziness.

Building technical skill!? Ha ha, I began drawing without a care in the world for that so, I probably did not. That said, I have never got a clear goal of what to do with it. I would just get caught in something I would find fancy at the time or cool. I did began by chance when someone asked me to draw game art lol, so there's that. But lately I dunno, I feel like I need to get my bearings, I guess I just want to improve the fundies I have neglected before making choice (mainly, value, color, texture) and my overall workflow and quality of work.

Not at all! Again, just laziness. Plain old lazy. Jokes. My biggest trouble to finish something always is when I hit the wall... where I don't know where to drive something towards? I lose track of what the idea was or what I'm going for. That's when I abandon something. I've been figuring out lately that's just me lacking general knowledge, for instance by doing the materials studies of late, now when I draw clothing or so, I suddenly start thinking on cuts and texture, before I would just hit the breaks. So I just need to work on learning things, that's my weakness. Then also using reference when I need to, which I have begin to do so.

Thanks for taking the time to come by!

(04-14-2020, 01:06 AM)Artloader Wrote: Wow Rotohail!  I love your sketchbook so much I just went through all of it!

I think the combination of how well you draw along with how well you paint really hits the sweet spot.

I love how your drawings are well constructed and well proportioned and your values and colours are really believable and convincing.

Really cool stuff, good luck with the hand by the way hope it stays healthy for you :).

Ah! Thanks a lot. Although I can't feel as I deserve it, I keep seeing my stuff as lacking, but it comes with the territory I guess. Thanks for the thought! Actually my hand has been doing good for a while now although with the recent COVID lockdown I'm scrambling up the walls since I can't do rides or get fresh air. That's been affecting my health, but I guess going out could be as harmful ha ha. Plus put others at risk, so I'll just stay and draw.

(04-14-2020, 01:37 AM)darktiste Wrote: The reality is you will always be your own worst critic and it should stay that way.But we should never be afraid of the struggle we should be afraid of not trying anymore.
So true. Words to live by!

(04-14-2020, 02:54 AM)Fedodika Wrote: hey roto... i love your work, i guess i'll give a critique since im appreciating the advanced level youre getting to;

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...oup_02.png

This critique doesnt apply to this^, the story and mood is there. However, she could be more welcoming, maybe hip out, hands on hip, head cocked to one side.

So a lot of your stuff is like, "thats nice, thats cool, nice shape." etc. But i dont sense a feeling of story or interaction between the characters. Now a character can interact with themself, which is why say they have a weapon, or they are an athlete, etc. Throwing a punch is a good story, and you push that but what im encouraging is to push it further

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...&anger.png

See this screaming guy; why's he screaming? how could you push that idea to make it more like the narrative he's displaying. He's angry, hunched over, arms spread out. He's beastlike, maybe on all fours, try to work in some foreshortening. The lady next to him looks bored, but she could more bored. Being bored is a story in itself. How do you show someone looking really really bored? hand on their cheek? slouching, indifferent expression, rolling their eyes.

Things are becoming less of a technical exercise for you at this point and youre ready to say something, but i know its tough to decide what to say. Ive been recently enjoying Force Drawing with Matessi on his website; its teaching me a lot about sending power through a drawing, as well as a narrative; its really interesting stuff!

Alot of your characters have good expressions and you can still push them, even the ones that seem whacky already

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...onster.png

Like this guy, why stop there? his mouth could be open, his tongue lunging out; further, he could be in a pose that sells the story of his long hair, right now its just a purple ball with a funny face and long hair standing. I know a lot of this takes a lot of abstract thought, but it really sells stuff in a different way. Animators are masters at it, taking a pose and pushing the very essence of everything it expresses... Worth studying, even if youre just observing casually.

Keep pummeling deez hoez roto

Ah thanks man! I see you are knees deep in gesture drawing! ha ha. Yeah I've been feeling my gestures have been a bit on the boring side lately, not done any gesture practice in half a year? And my anatomy is also going down the drain, have to do another refresher soon. I have tho been trying to push my action and perspective so I guess not all is lost, you push and pull. I have matessis's FORCE book! I have to reread it soon, it's been years. So now he has a website with new content? Gonna have to check it out.
Thanks for the pointers! I think I have an idea on how to improve the crazy haircut dude ha. The one with the enraged thing and the other are just like contrast? Peace and anger it was, more like tranquility. Girl floating it was a challenge, I wanted something very subtle? Like warmth but also coyness? So not confidence, but related? I need to fix a few things on that one (issues with one of the legs and the chest/arms area definition).
You keep pummeling them too! Gotta work those forges!
So glad to see you back, Rotohail!
That's too much material to digest at once so I'll start with just one comment for today: I like the nature scenes very much even when sketchy, or maybe even more when sketchy, and especially the one with the glowing monster in it (covid-19 lurking outside).
I'll be back with more things to say when I scramble down from the ceiling.

Also glad to see you're back. Loving the variety of the recent update!
Your grasp on colours has come a really long way, and that's awesome to see. Keep on experimenting and practising - it all pays off in the end, even though the road may feel long and unmoving at times.
Looking forward to seeing what you post next!
Wow Roto!!! You're doing really great man!!! Just keep it up, if you feel burnouts, just take a break, is equally important than studying. What are your main goal as artist???
(04-16-2020, 09:25 AM)chubby_cat Wrote: Also glad to see you're back. Loving the variety of the recent update!
Your grasp on colours has come a really long way, and that's awesome to see. Keep on experimenting and practising - it all pays off in the end, even though the road may feel long and unmoving at times.
Looking forward to seeing what you post next!

I would say my grasp on values ironically is what has improved ha ha, even when I've been doing exclusively color studies, I stumbled upon value hierarchy rather haphazardly lol, all those years people taking about local value seem to finally have clicked a bit better on my nut brain. Colors I still don't know what to do with them. Thanks for the kind words! Same for you.

(04-21-2020, 01:49 AM)Matheus Chastinet Wrote: Wow Roto!!! You're doing really great man!!! Just keep it up, if you feel burnouts, just take a break, is equally important than studying. What are your main goal as artist???

Oh damn, I wanted to follow up on your recent reply but you haven't updated yours yet, ha ha. Yup, you are right, taking a break is required, but I tend to overextend mine, so best to keep it steady for me ha. I'm still figuring things out as of what my goals are. Just trying to iron out my issues for the time being. Focus on my workflow and results, improve on the things I lack the most. But recently I've been pondering on it so, my current take is game art (assets, concept, design, mood, whatever), followed by illustration and lastly, storyboarding for films or comics. Those seem to me the most appealing on that order, but as time goes by things change so I can't say for sure. Honestly, I would be happy just figuring things out and working on whatever I can find at this moment ha ha. What have you been up to man? Have you been working on those landscapes!? Having taken to heart your commitment lol, we have to march onward with the landscape's war efforts!
About your question in my thread: I said "when I scramble down from the ceiling" because, just like you, I scramble up the walls under lockdown, and sometimes I can't find my way back :)

I have one advice/challenge that I think is helpful for game design: When you find a cool design for a thing or place, don't stop here and draw it from various angles; when you find a cool character design, draw it in various attitudes (just like the Batgirl); because one design may look great from one angle but prove challenging from another angle. Plus this will hone your space & volume skills - especially if you go the comics road one day.

Give me some more time to go through your wealth of new studies and more polished pieces, my brain is under water in slow mo.

Roto you bastard why didn't you show me this thread
(04-23-2020, 12:15 PM)Leo Ki Wrote: About your question in my thread: I said "when I scramble down from the ceiling" because, just like you, I scramble up the walls under lockdown, and sometimes I can't find my way back :)

I have one advice/challenge that I think is helpful for game design: When you find a cool design for a thing or place, don't stop here and draw it from various angles; when you find a cool character design, draw it in various attitudes (just like the Batgirl); because one design may look great from one angle but prove challenging from another angle. Plus this will hone your space & volume skills - especially if you go the comics road one day.

Give me some more time to go through your wealth of new studies and more polished pieces, my brain is under water in slow mo.

Oh! Nice. Ha ha. You already have mastered the art of living on the ceiling then? So far ahead, I'm still falling on my butt on the way up lol. Teach me the secret of standing upside down.

True, I've been noticing also that, the way you look at something matters quite a lot. I used to do turn-arounds, lately I just don't find any design that I think off worth exploring that far. I'll keep it in mind tho.

Wait, in the ceiling with water!? You are the greatest, oh grandmaster.

(04-23-2020, 11:45 PM)ognjiša Wrote: Roto you bastard why didn't you show me this thread
Ugh! Ha ha. I thought you already knew lol! Nice to see you around here.

Nothing much to show lately. An unfinished study of a bike and details, some imaginative fantasy wepons. I'm trying to think more in terms of value, not yet grasping the mindset fully.

Attached Files Image(s)