smrrfette's Odyssey
*ref'd hands from life - different media - tried experimenting. I need to get better at hands x 1000
*20-30min filmstill studies
*5-10min eye studies
*refless portrait using a palette -- need to work on colour theory
*Loomis eyes
*Refless eyes-ish
*blind contour drawings -- to up drawing technique
*gesturessss -- not taking my hand off the paper for once! I realised how much harder figure studies are :/ but bring it!! >:J
*some Bridgman arms, torso, shoulder studies
*refless doodles

The scans are all jumbled ;-;

What motivates you?

Hey there,

Just wanted to say that the amount of work you do is inspiring. You're not just scribbling it out loosely either, you seem to be really studying what you see. Keep this up and you will improve immensely!

One tip I have from seeing your sketchbook would be to try using harder brushes. Your pen and pencil work is really sharp and reads well, while your digital work is very soft and leads much more to the imagination.

If I am reading it right, I think you should try to use harder brushes and to really start sculpting out features instead of hinting at them. If I am reading it wrong, just disregard what I said and keep working at it, as you seem to be doing rather well! =)

Keep it up.

Opinions are like assholes... we've all got one of 'em
Blog - DA Profile "Eraza" - CD Sketchbook "Mathias' Markings"
] Mathias - hey ^^ thanks a lot for dropping by and for your feedback! :D I totally and 100% agree ~ I need to paint forms straight and stop hiding behind opacity jitters and hinting at things... although I need to bust my ass drawing and understanding certain concepts before I get myself back into painting for a bit :)

[ skb - GODDAMN YOU UNIVERSITY. I'LL KILL YOU!!

Buuut seriously. Now that it has begun (goddammit) I really, really, really have to organise my time effectively. Or I might just punch someone... real damned hard. It feels like I've been slacking off, like my brain's been put on auto-pilot in stupid uni-flow. I need to manage my time and I need to stay on top of it all. I already know what to do. I just need to get my toosh into gear.
Also my scanner has been dead for the past couple of days :/ </rant>

So these past two crappy days was filled with crappy sketches on the bus & train and soooooome studies.
tried experimenting with the figure studies - the proportions are whack!
need to work on facial features as usual - I find portraits are my weakness - which I will focus on and destroy <:
been doing a bunch of hand-eye coordination type stuff because my lines suck but I won't upload them
aaaaand holy omfg I feel I've learnt quite a bit from the Vanderpoel plane studies I just did now. -- I need to focus more on these because my refless doodles are shiiiiiiiiiit!
All unordered pretty much.

Doesn't feel like I've gotten anyyyyyything done.
But I will fix that.

Attached Files Image(s)

What motivates you?

Woke up earrrrrly to do at least SOME studies before I had to leave to uni -- so I managed some eye studies from photos.
Today I tried focussing on eyes.
Everything else is sooooo... erghghgrer. I have a lot to do... but I'm eager to learn ^^!

Have a crap load of homework from uni/assignments that I've been having to do - but I'll make sure I do at least something art-wise!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Soooooooo, blind contours, facial feats from photos, crappy hands (need to stuuuudy badly!) and a couple of sketches on the bus and train on the way to uni - also so glad that I've swapped in my A5 skb for an A4 one haha... so much easier O_O. Feels like I haven't been getting anywhere near as much done. Need to work on this, bad.

Also really want to participate in some Daggers challenges -- help boost my inspiration!

sketchbook | pg 52

Heya :)

Inspirational, I like how you keep hitting! You've come quite some ways now from page 1 :) Keep posting!

Maybe you can try slowing down to think about the volumes simply before you draw?

] anzhou - heya, haha thanks you ^^ yep good point! Essentially I really need to get back into my studies... instead of only having time for sketches on transport. But yes I must work on this :)

[ skb - weak update, but an update!
So much work going on and I'm trying to get my driver's license so I was out for 2 hours when I got home from uni.
Enough of this I must focus!!

*sets alarm clock

sketchbook | pg 52

heya,

i find this helpful, if you break your learning down into bite sized pieces. Say for instance if for today I will learn the structure of the eyeball.

i will do the studies the night before, and copy some of them onto a pocket sized notepad. then the next day i will try to meditate, sketch on the volumes whilst waiting for the bus, on the bus. between classes etc. even 5 mins of focused study will help :)

I drew something about the relationship between the eyelids and the eyeball, if you do use this for reference, please do also think about the effect of the bony portion of the eyesocket.

Hope it helps!

s-mrr: I'm seeing some major improvement here! Your line work is great. Now you just have to get that level of refinement and put it into the actual painting. (which i must say you've improved alot there too! ) Keep up the good work I can't wait to see the progress you make next!

] anzhou - dammit! I wish I saw your reply before I continued with my refless sketches, anzhou! But thank you and I'll try to grasp this concept! ^^
] Tyler Donnelly - thank you a bunch! Haha I totally agree, I need to bust my ass to improve my painting skills :)

[ skb - pretty crap week, fate's really testing me... so come at me, obstacles. As Duke Nukem would say: "I'll rip your head off and shit down your neck" bahaha ò_ó
some poopy sketches on the bus, train, in lectures (hello over-rendered disproportionate woman)
did a couple of hand studies today, although I read more than I drew (Bridgman)
and couple of fem portrait studies, couple of figure studies (haven't done them in ages! Need to improve!) and some more sketches

oh and someone put a goddamn ROTTEN NECTARINE IN MY BAG YESTERDAY and so my damned sketchbook needed a makeover (i.e. scissors) aaaand some of the refless' are unfinished because the pages stunk so bad/was too wet ffs.

sketchbook | pg 52

[ skb - today I feel I could have done so much more... I have an assignment due tomorrow - but hell naw! I'm not going to let uni stand in my way >:c

some Bridgman hands + ref'd hands and refless poops on the bus/train/lectures

Looking forward to tomorrow!

sketchbook | pg 52

heya, boo to the vandal with the rotten nectarines!

good stuff, and those hand studies are paying off :)

] anzhou - aaaah, oh yes... that nectarine! Oh wells, it gives my sketchbook real character haha ^ ^ ooh thanks, although I'm unsatisfied with the amount of studies I've been managing :/ - I'll just have work harder. But enough venting... thanks for stopping by anzhou xD

[ skb - only managed a self-portrait (still doesn't look like me. I'll get there one day)
and a page of doodles as I had a group assignment today /sigh. I just wanna draw. But whatever - I'll manage. I will manage.

edit: man my scanner's terribad!! I gotta fix this shiiiii--.

sketchbook | pg 52

really like the way you cross hatch in a couple of these drawings, are they in pen or pencil? The last post faces have nice symmetry but a couple of the other pages may benefit from looking at them in a mirror to just check proportions match up etc. You have improved a lot since your first page though, keep up the good work :)

] Jaik - haha thanks you ^^, they're in pen I believe. Ohh yes I know what you mean, just means I have to work harder :) thanks for stopping by and pumping me up Jaik!

[ skb - managed to do assignment 1 from Sickbrush's mentor class :D
can't wait to get started on the others!

Learned so much I feel like Niftu Cal. :3
nighty night daggers!

sketchbook | pg 52

Aaaaah not much to show today... have two assignments due tomorrow and I'm going for my driver's test tomorrow too -- so I was out all day driving :'c
all I have done today is this w.i.p... Adventure Time thingy. About 2hrs or more... trying to get better at sketching using the tablet!

(kept the line art in this .jpeg so when I come back to my skb I look at it differently)

man I gotta learn how to paint.

Skin tones, proper brushstrokes, landscape, everything!

sketchbook | pg 52

[ skb - yeah I never finished that Adventure Time thingo... because I srsly don't know one bit about painting and blending, alongside painting skintones and lighting etc. So, besides what felt like mindless sketching during lectures, on the trains/buses, I managed a couple of studies last week. (nowhere neeeeear as much as I'd like. But I think I'm coming to terms with actually learning from my studies now...)

Just a couple of blending studies, a lighting/partial texture study (first of many),
a refless portrait - working on blending, painting with a palette | considering skintones etc
and assignment 1b of Sickbrush's mentoring class. I plan to finish this class soon, but I really want to work on studying, as I have neglected it due to uni/time constraints.

I need to find balance.
It's all a test.

sketchbook | pg 52

Weak update is weak.

1:56AM - night night Ò_Õ v,

sketchbook | pg 52

gah! so much work to do!
focusing on values, facial features atm.

did a couple of nose studies - read a lot of Vanderpoel today + other books

did two refless digital sketches (in the Dagger's Hangout :D) ... tried to focus on values but -- er. well...

I gotta lot more studyin' to do!

Bring on tomorrow (*coughimeantodaybecauseit's1:03AMcough*) ò_ó v,

sketchbook | pg 52

looking great, i see improvement!
my only critique for some of these would be a bit more construction. with some of them slow down and take your time. you can do big bulks fast and a few slowwwlyyy and carefullyyy and paying attention to details.
keep it up i'll be watching!