Zaulta's Sketchbook
@og
Yeah appreciate the reminder. Kinda hard balancing everything also.

Just a starting sketch for a study tomorrow and hung out with friends all day yesterday. Quick sketch of one of them on the right.

Still life before work. First half it was thundering then it became all sunny so just tried to go with it. Kinda hard with all the light sources and stuff everywhere and sun moving. Next time might just take a picture.

Short studies of hands.

Saw something pretty cool at work today. The power went out so there was no fan to get rid of the smoke from the kitchen area. When someone was passing through direct light, you see some slight rays of light around them cause of them smoke.
Stuff from yesterday. Went out painting with a friend for the first time and not by myself. it was pretty nice even though it was raining all day. On the top painting, we went to the mall first but then after 20 minutes or so we got kicked out of the mall area lol. Bottom one, we drove downtown. Stayed in the car and painted cause it was raining most of the time.

From two days ago. Remembered not wanting to stay at my desk so went outside. Even though I drew the playground is long, still pretty happy cause ik I wouldn't have been to sketch this decently last year.

Also from two days ago. Saw a lot of dragon flies outside and quit the study :/

Oops haven't updated in like 20 something days : ^). In short: quit my job, got a screen tablet, and started an art mentor ship 3 weeks ago. With the screen tablet, it's so much easier to sketch and do line art. I can sketch using some jitter without my strokes being completely off.

I'll try to put everything in order and gonna be a wall of pictures sorry :>.

Week 1 of the mentorship. He wanted me to practice forms and atmosphere first. Towards the bottom is oldest.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

From three weeks ago, when I first got the screen tablet. A lot of my time is spent more towards the mentorship for the first two parts, which was just practicing fundamental stuff. Was hard to balance doing other studies and doodles, cause I procrastinated a lot : ^).

Part 2 of the mentor ship started. More light fundamental stuff. At first, just needed to figure out my process.

Personal stuff during the part 2 time.
The one on the left was a study of my friend. Lighting was pretty weird and made it hard.

Starting to go out with my art friends more, going painting and sketching around the city.

Want to actually get into gouache painting, it's a lot quicker, cleaner, and easier to travel with than acrylics.

For part 3 of the mentor ship, he assigned me to work on my character design/illustration and composition :). Also wanna try to be more active with other peoples sketchbooks but most of the time idk what to say lol.
Uh some stuff from the past few days. Mostly mentor homework but should try to put more time aside for doodles and studies. Also tomorrow I start 12th grade and that's a little crazy. When i was like 4, didn't think I would live this long.

Part 3 of the mentorship started and we're working on composition and storytelling mainly with sketches. At first, thought most of thee stuff I had was trash. It's whatever now, just need to experiment more.

Went to a local park. Wasted gas and time driving back a forth trying to find a place and ended up in a bad mood. Don't know why I wasted paint lol.

Nice Zaulta! Great studies. But a nice advice I could give you is: studie drawing really hard. A good painting without a solid drawing is wasted. Try really hard, spend more time on the drawing than painting. Jope to see more from you!
@Mateus
Thanks for the tips <3. Lately been trying to be a little cleaner just in general. It's just pretty hard trying to be neat and making your lines fit well @-@. Also sorry for the late reply.

Some doodles from a while ago. Sketch on the left was for a friend's birthday from early september.

Some simple studies, two days later

Something for the mentor ship. New oc idea on the right, I go in deeper later.

If you've been looking here awhile, you might remember her. Reworked an older oc.

Some stuff for mentor. His crits were really helpful.

Mentor crits:

tried doing some variations of a scene, was lazy :)

First real concepts of the OC

Messy sketch and didn't finish

doodles and study on the bottom right

Did some quick gifts for a few friends
https://imgur.com/a/HVtmNXW

Few days ago went to the park with friends and did some figure drawing with each other :).

Character sheet :). Worked on this for about a week. Spent awhile on it cause I want it to be part of my college portfolio application and it's also for my art class too. It's about 90% done. I want to redo the colored back view, logo, and maybe the colored front idk tho.

From yesterday. Ideas for the main antagonist.

From today. Probably her final look with some changes here and there.

Also an attempt from before.

I have the gist of their stories made up and need to go more in detail, but here's the copy and paste of the short one :). 

Born sheltered into royalty. He was raised  like a regular royalty at the time, though being confident in himself was not socially up there. Eventually, his family seems like they were all murdered the the family's rule is stolen by a woman who has been working with the higher ups for a long time. She spares him due to knowing him all his life, that he would pose no threat and that he would be fun to watch. She releases him, but with a curse.
Hi I'm alive :). Pretty much still doing the same things past few weeks. Art class is taking up a lot of my art time, so right now my plan is to work on school art stuff with the Sen character one day and personal work the next then repeat. After this is and college applications are done, I really want to dive in to environments and follow the same schedule with humans the next day.

Some master studies from about two weeks ago.

Weird doodles from two weeks ago

Some studies

Movie study and a dropped study of Gladiator. Was trying to get better at not having my shadows be muddy.

Planning of the thing for below. I really like copic markers : ). It's really easy to block in shapes for a sketch. Also the girl on the top right was a quick irl study and bottom right was irl study at night.

A WIP for my art class and college portfolio : ^)

Finally finished the Sen character sheet two days ago. Just a little impressed that I managed to pull this off.

Been a really long time since I've done a self portrait so. Also the guy in the chair is another quick irl study.

Environment master studies from yesterday. I think I get the basics of atmosphere persp but applying it digitally from my head : ^). Would've done more but I put too much pressure on myself.

Character sheet of main villain of Sen's story. Worked on the stuff on the right side today.

Dang, you've done a lot of work since I last looked. The character designs are looking good, they look like they are from the same game (idk if it's a game character design or not) as well, similar shape design on the costumes.

Do you mind if I weigh in on the comp studies? 

I know this one is kind of old, but the concept applies to everything you're doing. I just happened to pick this picture to paint on. The colors on this one are pretty good, although you could put more care into the drawing. I think you can get way more out of these studies by really trying to get the colors and shapes closer. You definitely do this somewhat, but I want to reiterate grouping pieces of the picture into large masses. It will really help your painting. Once these large shapes kind of harmonize together as the correct (or close enough) color relationships, that's when you can really learn from the specifics of the image. It also ensures that the forms feel whole and unified, and nothing will be muddy when you do more modeling and shading. Muddy colors are almost always because there are values that are wrong and do not fit within the large mass. It's rarely the actual color.

What you tend to do is use a hard brush and put in lots and lots of smaller shapes, all with hard edges between them. This gives small patches of color too much prominence, because in truth those subtle differences are very minor and soft. And on a rounded form like a face, or cloth, there's few places where one can put a hard division of different colors and tones and say this is the color that goes there. The reality is that the area is continuously gradated, and there might be only 2 pixels that are the color you chose. Just something to keep in mind. You might want to start experimenting with softer brushes, if for no other reason than just to vary things up. You almost always go for a hard look with few soft edges, so why not try some studies that are the opposite?
That isn't to say that it would be good to make studies that are all overblended and blurry. That's not good. But you can at least observe where some edges are soft and others are hard instead of making everything hard.

I think you do apply these ideas well in some places. Like the finished character sheet (Sen) looks good, especially the chest is really simple and reads well.

Same deal with the gladiator composition. (he kind of looks like Ben Shapiro, doesn't he?)
The shadow isn't going to be muddy so long as it's unified, no need to break it up. And then the rest of the color notes kind of fit softly into that large mass of the light side of his face, creating a whole form.
Sorry if I'm kind of going too much into some random studies, but it would apply just as well to the larger painting of Sen you are working on.

I know it's not part of your regimen as you've described, but some longer studies of paintings, more carefully drawn wouldn't hurt at all.

@JosephCow
Thanks for always giving your feedback <3. Think I remember awhile ago you said something about light and shadow shapes : ^). Tried my best to apply the advice you had given bottom portraits of Kumira's character sheet. Now, I'll try to keep clear shapes consistent. I usually use the hard brush cause I'm pretty lazy and it just makes it easy to block in colors everywhere. Painting is still pretty confusing since there's still a bunch to focus on..

Not much to show, but need try to get this done tomorrow for class. I still need to refine the front pose more. School work is starting to pile up.

Back : ^).

Calling Kumira's character sheet done for now. Wasn't having much fun with it lately, but I'll get back to it later when I need to.

Missed self portrait day, but still did one from mirror. Probably my best portrait I painted so far. What suprized me most that this only took two hours. Might submit this with my portfolio, so gonna go back to it later also.

Random study day. Need to try to get more comfy with painting bodies more. It's probably hard cause I don't know how to make different type of edges easily. Also did the movie study awhile ago too, big improvement : ). Thanks Josephcow aha.

Some doodles and studies with ink and marker. Gonna try to get a few pages doodles each week, since they were pretty fun. If I draw people gonna try to force to do their bodies also.

Sketches

Initial planning for Sen/Kumira portfolio piece

WIP : ^). I was procrastinating a little bit today and yesterday, mainly cause I'm nervous and also cause of the election.

(11-05-2020, 02:53 PM)Zaulta Wrote: Back : ^).

Calling Kumira's character sheet done for now. Wasn't having much fun with it lately, but I'll get back to it later when I need to.

Missed self portrait day, but still did one from mirror. Probably my best portrait I painted so far. What suprized me most that this only took two hours. Might submit this with my portfolio, so gonna go back to it later also.

Random study day. Need to try to get more comfy with painting bodies more. It's probably hard cause I don't know how to make different type of edges easily. Also did the movie study awhile ago too, big improvement : ). Thanks Josephcow aha.

Some doodles and studies with ink and marker. Gonna try to get a few pages doodles each week, since they were pretty fun. If I draw people gonna try to force to do their bodies also.

Sketches

Initial planning for Sen/Kumira portfolio piece

WIP : ^). I was procrastinating a little bit today and yesterday, mainly cause I'm nervous and also cause of the election.

Gotta say tho you got some pretty good handle in values and colors but I do feel like you could push it more by strengthening your drawings. I'm no art teacher by any means but I'm personally quite impressed

@Atceterra
Thanks for the kind words and tips < 3. I've been trying to be more clean with my lines by trying to draw with pen and some sketches here and there : ^). Honestly, seems like something that doesn't come easily.

Not much pass few days, been working on that college essay.

Prob gonna work on this everyday this week : ^). Need  to focus on getting applications done.

finished some doodles and started a small study of a member of babymetal

Planned some figure drawings with my art friends. Here's some 3 minute warm ups.

Used gouache for the first time in a while. Needed some more variety for college so why not. The one on the left was about 30 min and the left was a flop : (, about 20 minutes.

Some study sketch wips

I love your style man, such vibrant colors. I like how you simplify complex shapes down, it makes the picture really pop and the colors more noticeable and flowy.
@mieksta
Thanks for the kind words <3.

Finished applying to college after I was done with the Kumira and Sen painting : ^). Afterwards I pretty much worked on whatever I wanted, but tomorrow gonna try to get back on schedule with anatomy/light practice and learning environments.

Here's the portfolio sent for college : ^). Met with someone on portfolio day and generally said that it was pretty strong, so guess I'm feeling confident I'm getting into the place I want to.

here's the final. Wish I new more about design for the throne and materials for cloth. Probably should've added some noise and texture in general. Need to learn more about composition.

2 studies in the center. Thing on the left is a doodle of an old oc.

still life : ^)

for future reference, camera distort </3

ew

doodles and a redo of Sen's front portrait

Wanted to show some improvement : ^)

Something for my digital design class. It was for the county wide contest for the front of a new years card. Could've added more into what she was wearing, but I only a little bit of time to do this : ^).

wip^

planning

Some gouache paintings for Christmas gifts. Still new to gouache so they ended up as a fail </3.

Turned 18 recently : ^).

Wow awesome improvement since March on the last post. There's a big difference!
Cool thumbnails as well, the middle left one looks good to me.

@JosephCow
Thanks <3. Don't think I would be in the place I am if you didn't help out.

Finished the doodle from yesterday

hand study and more doodles

Naah I doubt that. Are you thinking about doing art in college next year, then?

@JosephCow
Well at the very least you helped out lol and yeah I'm planning on going to college for art, either at vcu or scad. Parents weren't happy about it when I first told them, but they said that they would still support me : ^).

Quick render for yesterday

Thinking about doing a splash art for Sen today. I don't think I'm ready to do it on my own since I ended up over thinking and being stupid @-@. Towards the end pretty much just stole from Esben Lash's Yone concept sketches. Will try again after I learned some things from Framed Ink.