Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Coinhero's sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
[Image: knXmNCR.jpg]
I found wi-fi !!! something I painted while looking out the window. When i get back I'll by a watercolor set or something I hate how you cant mix tempera at all its just such a pain in the ass to use. I'm currently in silent hill, look at how spooky and misty it was on the way here
[attachment=108252]
[Image: v8JZEHt.jpg]

started a study of a painting by Ivan Aivazovsky called Darial Gorge , I'm super tired and just don't have the energy to get in and detail stuff but this is a pretty good lay in. I chose to copy this painting because of how well it uses very dark values and that's something I'm terrible at
[Image: XVGIUHw.jpg]
Go on post 642 and than click reply than click full edit than upload the reference in the same post.Would be good if you start to take internet format in consideration and put them side by side so there more easy to compare.Just something to consider.
I may be wrong, values are not my strong suit by any means, but I feel like your light tones are way to bright. I feel like you haven't managed to capture the distance portrayed in the original painting due to higher contrast. Also, added brightness on the right edge completely breaks composition, since it shifts focal point from the blue inverted triangle, created by the mountains, to the dark lower right corner. Foreground should have been separated much more subtly.
here's a side by side

[Image: shfhWai.jpg]

[Image: 96eqOPS.jpg]

color and value differences are more because I'm looking at the reference on my second monitor that's calibrated slightly differently than my main monitor. I don't put the reference image like this to the one I'm making because it becomes so damn easy to just copy everything why even bother, also dont look at it in black and white because I might as well be color picking from the original at that point. I write the name of the artist and painting whenever I do master studies like this if you want to see the original just google I'm too lazy to make edits like this
worked on this image

[Image: vTNszLc.jpg]
its shit there's some super simple things that need fixing but I'm too tired to do it now
and then I started a John Singer Sargent study of one of his watercolor paintings called Jane de Glehn in a Gondola

[Image: 96sapZN.jpg]

I love Sargents watercolor paintings they are just insane, like painting with watercolor not just coloring line art sounds like the most frustrating thing a person can do. Last image I copied was all about super dark values and this one is the opposite, also going from light gradually to dark is a very hard way of painting for me and I need to practice it.
Going to cook something for dinner now
I meant post the picture this way in the sketchbook post not will you study.I also don't really see why you would not put the picture side by side to study it not like you tracing sure it might help to allign but if you not focusing on proportion i don't see the problem.Like i wouldn't see a problem to tracing a drawing if you want to concentrate to learn for example about value.Sure if you feel your cheating your viewer or yourself than i guess go with your feeling.I mean aslong as you study you should be able to ignore certain rule to focus on specific fundamental but if you prefer you can mix them all in one session if you feel that how you will learn the most.
[Image: fCicXhw.jpg]

finished this study and made a sketch for something new

[Image: DWhOzlg.jpg]

I wanted to make everything super saturated just to see what happens and if I can make it work somehow but it's too hard, I'll redo it tomorrow too sleepy to do it now
[Image: 8s3fuWu.jpg]

redid the background on this, I still want it to be really saturated and like colorful idk but I want to make it not an eye sore to look at, it's really hard.
Then I played around with watercolor brushes in painter till I got the classic 
[Image: fY93AmV.png]

then I tried rebelle 3 which doesn't destroy my PC but the brushes are terrible literally cant figure out how to turn on pressure sensitivity if you can even do that. Went back to painted painted this 

[Image: IWbOabi.jpg]

more of an experiment than anything. I'm very limited when it comes to brush size and canvas size my PC just can't handle this stuff
Today I played around with watercolor in painter. All images are studies from random scenes I found wile walking around mapcrunch in korea, I didn't save reference because there is no point I'm not trying to make a recreation of an picture just using them as a base to make my own thing. bla bla bla

[Image: hbegNcC.jpg]

First image I made this is me just trying different brushes getting a feel for how things work and trying to develop a workflow.

[Image: sJcZ3LY.jpg]

then I made this and I feel like things started to click with this one, like I have some experience with traditional watercolor but when doing it digitally there's a lot of unexpected problems.

[Image: gL2Zl2A.jpg]

previous images were "quick" sketches and I wanted to see if I can make something a bit more finished. 
This I feel should take like 10 minutes max but I spent an hour and a half maybe or possibly longer I get distracted easily. This way of painting feels like the exact opposite of my normal process and I have a much bigger appreciation for watercolor painting now. It feels very refreshing to try new stuff but I can't help but feel like this is just an excuse for me to not paint from imagination, I don't know but I like this image I think it turned out ok
[Image: rzTQzY6.jpg]
worked on this

[Image: sC0g36w.jpg]
Started copying a screen cap from Penn and Teller's MMT India because I wanted to see if I can pull of the corel painter watercolor thing with a super dark image. I almost forgot to post something today but I said I would everyday like 400 days ago so here it is x..x
surprised I'm not banned from this site for spam or something
Hi Coinhero, well done for posting so consistently man!

Your skill with value and colour look pretty good to me - nice work.

I feel that it would lift your overall work to the next level if you gave a tiny bit more attention to perspective and construction. Thinking in terms of simple 3D forms and being faithful to vanishing points for example.

Keep it up dude, you're doing great!
(08-05-2018, 07:13 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Coinhero, well done for posting so consistently man!

Your skill with value and colour look pretty good to me - nice work.

I feel that it would lift your overall work to the next level if you gave a tiny bit more attention to perspective and construction.  Thinking in terms of simple 3D forms and being faithful to vanishing points for example.

Keep it up dude, you're doing great!

Yea I always try to have a perspective that makes sense and I feel like I get most stuff at least somewhat correct but there's always one dumb mistake that ruins everything. The birds in that blue painting from yesterday for example disappear in to the distance in a much more extreme way than the cloud. It's hard to keep track of everything x,x
[Image: qX4CPeA.jpg]

I wanted to remake that painting with the little girl on the tiger because I really don't like the way it turned out so I made this sketch today. I also did some watercolor painting but just a bit because it's my birthday in a couple of days so I was doing organizing and also it's my dads birthday and I had to do various things for that. blablabla I'll post the watercolor when its finished tomorrow, I don't know why I even write this stuff
Great sketch. However, your composition is extremely right heavy. The eye isn't drawn to the character on a tiger, but rather to the huge building on the right. I think, if you remove it or make it smaller, it will become much more balanced.
(08-06-2018, 07:36 AM)nigelpik Wrote: [ -> ]Great sketch. However, your composition is extremely right heavy. The eye isn't drawn to the character on a tiger, but rather to the huge building on the right. I think, if you remove it or make it smaller, it will become much more balanced.

No exactly true as motion create imediate focus on a object but i will say that you might need to scale up character up to give them a bit more emphasis.For me you really have miss the opportunity to create element that point toward the focal point that help guide the eye where you want it to fall.

One suggestion i have is to have the figure on the boat looking in the direction of the character.Also maybe someone could be at a window looking at the scene also.I know it a cheap trick but if it move the eye where you want it think it worth doing.
Gorgeous work here! Your use of color is super beautiful and very nice. I agree with nigel about your latest sketch feeling right-heavy, but I think moving that building around some and using color to make the focus pop more could fix it. I'm excited to see how it looks once you add color and value. Looks great so far!
Thanks for the feedback!
Spent a lot of time just moving things around and eventually just said fuck it lets just paint, and I did. I tried making it a night scene but I just couldn't figure out an interesting way to paint it so I went with more of a sunrise time of thing, makes everything much simpler, I need to do studies of good night time paintings.
What I don't like about this image is it's more color than value right now if that makes any sense and I feel like I've been using the same composition of just having focal point on one side and secondary on the other and I want to experiment with more complex images.

[Image: xNjZUtR.jpg]

this is what I have so far, lots of making one thing and having it look terrible redoing it and lots of wasted time gathering reference instead of just going for it, I need to stop trying to find reference images when I'm just starting out an image because I never ever use it it's just there to make me feel less insecure about painting from imagination.
I agree the buildings on the side were messing with the composition I moved them around a lot but eventually just gave up and painted some new ones that let some more air in and don't just wall of the sides of the image.
Lots of nasty tangents I need to fix and just make this better in general oh and I forgot to flip it back but I like it more like this 

also finished this watercolor sketch 
[Image: 6LLnSiM.jpg]

too much words I should be able to say all this crap with one sentence
[Image: Xi1tvWs.jpg]

slowly getting it done, I procrastinate 10 times more whenever I'm making something from imagination and its a problem
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46