Reikhard's doom pages
Starting my Sketchbook thing :D

I'm currently finishing up on a figure drawing course so here's the last of that stuff:

Attached Files Image(s)

Lovely Bargues and welcome to the forums! However, the figures seem a little off. Maybe try using a plumb line, rough grid, or an overlay to compare the proportions. Also, the lighting in photos is also usually confusing when learning form and values. Maybe try to focus on defining the forms that you see, rather than the arbitrary shadows cast chaotically. Here are a couple examples: [Image: 1344378795.jpg][Image: standing.jpg?token=Pfim9S8FQINPUlw1jKQT%2BDFxvvE%3D]

Good advice, thank's ubem! Photo shadows can definitely be confusing. I'll try thinking about form some more instead of trying to copy those shadows blindly.

Those drawings are awesome.
Started drawing from Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman. I think I need a break from all those bargues.

Attached Files Image(s)

It i stylistic choose to add contour line you could try to just shade to improve you understand of realism and value.By putting value around the object so that the value doesn't blend with the page.You can also control value range by using multiple of hardness of pencil

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Waaaah!
Your more-detailed pieces looks so alive and chunky!
You've definitely practiced how to cross-hatch, good work!
Can we expect to see any paintings?
@darktiste: Somehow I always come back to using lines a lot. You are totally right, I'll try to use value some more :)

@hirvios: Thank you ^^. At the moment I'm working on drawing fundamentals since it's something that I can squeeze in before work. I'll get back to paining soon-ish though. In the meantime there are a few older paintings on my instagram: www.instagram.com/reikhard_paints

And now its time for Sketcheeesss!!!!!_!&!_(€?
I love to draw from "constructive anatomy" Made the hips smaller almost on every figure, though.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-16-2018, 05:11 PM)Reikhard Wrote: @darktiste: Somehow I always come back to using lines a lot. You are totally right, I'll try to use value some more :)

@hirvios: Thank you ^^. At the moment I'm working on drawing fundamentals since it's something that I can squeeze in before work. I'll get back to paining soon-ish though. In the meantime there are a few older paintings on my instagram: www.instagram.com/reikhard_paints

And now its time for Sketcheeesss!!!!!_!&!_(€?
I love to draw from "constructive anatomy" Made the hips smaller almost on every figure, though.

These look good, but are you sure that you're actually studying the anatomy and shapes, and not just copying?
I've spent hours studying drawings form anatomy books, but my brain often goes to auto-pilot and I devolve into just copying the lines.

I'm definitely on autopilot sometimes, although I study the drawings afterwards (on the train mostly). Maybe A strict copy should not be the ultimate goal here. How do you make sure that you're not entering autopilot?
(01-17-2018, 03:02 AM)Reikhard Wrote: I'm definitely on autopilot sometimes, although I study the drawings afterwards (on the train mostly). Maybe A strict copy should not be the ultimate goal here. How do you make sure that you're not entering autopilot?

When you go on autopilot you kinda need to step up the difficulty in some case on other case it just mean you need to take a break.But it also essential that you are analysing what is going on i got a post on internal dialogue maybe that can help you develop an approch that is more focus in the moment.

I also have a post about flow it detail some reason why sometime the work seem to not be going easy it state a few thing that might slow you when you work draining you into mental fatigue.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4107.html
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5494.html

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Nice figurative work here Reikhard :).

You said about finding photographed shadows confusing?  I found what really helped me was when I learned more about lighting and the various types of shadows and lights.  Proko has a good video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo

In particular I find it useful to identify the core-shadow first and work out from there.

Hope that helps - keep pushing mate!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook