Angies sketchbook of stuff and things
a commission I got last week for someones husband...

Attached Files Image(s)

couple of pen sketches of Gunner and Scarlett from Nashville, my former guilty pleasure...the colour one is after I read a great tutorial by Stephen Silver on shapes in character design, I made sure I checked all the points as well as I could ...here's the link: http://blog.artella.com/post/14485791826...ign=buffer

and some brush pen doodles of an idea for the one page comic crucible contest, probably won't enter but I might if I get something together, I chose Average Dragons...

Attached Files Image(s)

Been busy with commission this last week, not complaining but it meant I couldn't finish the one page comic for the Crimson Crucible :( such a shame, I was really enjoying it and probably could have finished but I ran into some narrative issues and ran out of time. Anyway here's the commissions (watercolour), update on Max Landis and the unfinished 'average dragons' panel...

Attached Files Image(s)

I really like how you exaggerated the two guys on the far right with the american flags behind them. Nice average dragon comic. Too bad it wasnt done in time :(

Thanks Adam! :D I do enjoy a good watercolour caricature commission :D and I wish I'd finished the comic in time too, I will when I have a free moment..

--------------

I had a free moment yesterday but I decided to do the Character Design Challenge on FB instead, it's got some top talent on there if you haven't found it yet... https://www.facebook.com/groups/Characte...Challenge/

The theme this month is Geisha/Samurai. I chose Geisha and thought a cute fennic fox would make a good one, I'm liking the design. Here's the sketches and wip, any suggestions of course would be most welcome. :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Wip for my fennic fox geisha..

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I've finished the Geisha Character Design, I might make some adjustments next week when I have time. I tried to have a balance between finished and sketchy but not sure I got it right, might have pushed it too far on the face, needs more suggested details rather than fine ones...

Attached Files Image(s)

Decided after looking at the Geisha today that it was too overworked and stiff and I was in danger of losing the character, which is not what you want in a character design. So I restarted and am going to keep it lose..lets see if I can haha..

Attached Files Image(s)

Update on the Geisha WIP...still not overdone..yet!

Also a picture of a caricature I did for someones retirement from a company in New York, they really liked it, he apparently got emotional, feels like a good contact to have for possible future work. :)

also also...just read Steve Lichman vol.1 :D soooo fucking good, like film quality story with such good dialogue :D
also also also...My Squishy posing like a boss (p.s if anyone wants any free high quality references of my dragon please pm me, I'll be happy to oblige)

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool stuff! I really liked the average dragon comic, would love to see that finished :)

And I have a question about the watercolour portraits, how do you do the skin tones?
Is it all done at onces, wet-in-wet or do you layer over it.

That geisha wip turnin out quite nice.
Thanks very much Elyiana! :D I feel spurred on to finish the comic, I have so much to do I hope I can do it this weekend though :D

Thanks for the question. It's a bit of both really, I lightly soak the skin areas and go over with an ochre/yellow/red mix (leaving the highlights white) then let it dry a bit til it's damp and do the red areas round the edges of the cheeks and nose (if it's too dry the edges won't blur enough but just adding a little more water will help, just not too much as it'll give you a white patch) and then I usually use that same red for the lips. Then when dry I go over the shadow areas with a light watery purple, let it dry again and then touch up any bits that have dried too light. I hope that makes sense I just realised I don't really talk about my process at all ;)

Cheers Dennis! :D Fingers crossed I can keep it that way!

Thanks Angel :)
It makes sense. I have been struggling with skin tones for a while now, most of the time I make them too opaque/dark because I add too many layers trying to fix things. I'll give this approach a try.
Thank you ^^

You're very welcome Eyliana :) watercolours are easy to mess up, a good base for skin tone is a yellow ochre/yellow mix for white skin tones and more of a red base for black skin and then put the reds where the blood is closer to the skin, the nose, the cheeks, lips and the corners of the eyes, a good tip I learnt along the way is to put a bit of blue/green along the jawline and chin (with an emphasis on the blue on blokes to show stubble) and keep the forehead a yellow tone. I learnt a lot from Schoolism courses I did by Jason Seiler and Thomas Fluharty, if you can afford them, they do have a subscription fee now which is a bit cheaper. I'm sure there's more around but those are the best painters I know of offering courses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s guys.. I'm trying to raise some money (unexpected bills came in :() so I'm selling some art books if anyone is interested? I will post internationally...

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7773.html

Wow Angel_Intheuk! Your caricatures are fantastic! I too love the geisha.

Looking forward to more :)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hi Artloader..thanks very much :D :D

-----

Finished the Geisha, I tried to use a variety of brushes this time, instead of just no.24 and hard round. I used the pencil and soft round mostly and hard round for the details. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Attached Files Image(s)

Been playing around with the pencil brush in Ps and really loving the texture. So I went back and worked on Max a bit with it...

Attached Files Image(s)

Still not got Max's face right, decided to do a sculpt (went badly) and another digital sketch while watching Dave's Orc tutorial and using some of his brushes (went better)...

Attached Files Image(s)

update on Max playaround...

Attached Files Image(s)

Finished the second sketch of Max...

Attached Files Image(s)