Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward!
Wow, I like the printout on the tote bag. The style and colors are really cool.

Sketchbook

First of all I kind of have to correct this printing on fabric myth I created here XD actually with the new printer I was able to scan & print the stuff from my sketchbook. I used a normal print on paper to then trace the artwork on the tote bag with Posca Pens and fabric paint

Replies:

@rafa: I think you're totally right. Thank you, I will!

@Clockodile: Yeah, that's a good way to do it. Problem is though that sometimes I get more depressed because I think I didn't improve enough orz Glad the awkward poses are getting better. I'm having more fun with them as well, imagining them gets easier. Gotta do a lot more though. Thank you ~

@Sam: Thank you! Actually what helped my motivation a bit was getting back to my most loved medium again for a while XD

@Paca: Thanks so much! Glad you like it! And you're welcome! I'm totally happy if I could help in some way! (:

@Tygerson: Thank you, so glad you like it!

Okay, so in my last post I wrote about being frustrated, it didn't really get better and I just really felt that I was being way too tense about everything. I have this habit to take everything too serious sometimes. I mean you see so many great artists online, so much improvement, and then I just want too many things too fast. Idk.
I figured that getting some kind of a break would probably the best thing, so that was what I did. I can't say that I'm fully cured now, but at least I got some distraction and a fresher view, fun and motivation are coming back already. I think that it's been a very long time I hit such a low so I guess it can only go up from now.

I think what also really bothered me was that I was totally neglecting my watercolours. Most of the artist advice says that you should find what you are passionate about and work with that. For me it's watercolours (next to comic art stuffz). When I worked with them again after what felt an eternity I really noticed just how much I missed them. I don't hate working digitally, but I still enjoy traditional work more. The thing is, I was kind of forcing myself into working digital, because, yeah, I'd like to pursue a career in art as well (don't we all) and I figured I probably can't compete with traditional work, not to mention that it feels extra hard with my clearly comic-inspired style (depending on where you want to work, but still....) So in my head there's always this fight traditional - digital and I really wreck my brain about it and I can't find a solution. Maybe it's just a false perception of me, but I guess for concept art in games or movies you might have the best chances as a digital artist. At one point I was so foolish and told myself "I'll just do such mind-blowing traditional artwork that nobody can say no"...it maybe foolish but it seems to give me a bit of motivation somehow. I still need to get the hang of digital. I'm not giving up hope that maybe one day I'll like it as much as I like watercolours. Until then I just mustn't forget to paint with my watercolours once in a while. Anyway, it also just shows that there is a lot of mind mud for me to sort out and settle, hehe.

Only a small update today, no studies because I was doing this break thingy, here's stuff from life drawing, last time before summer break

[Image: lifedrawing_31_02_2014_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20u7.jpg]

[Image: lifedrawing_31_01_2014_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20u8.jpg]

Poses felt kind of repetitive this evening, so I decided to paint the girl sitting in front of me. Turns out this is the best thing I've done during the session

[Image: lifedrawing_31_03_2014_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20u3.jpg]

Slowly getting back to some studies, on the left some after Kim Jung Gi and on the right is stuff from photos

[Image: limit_001_1213_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20u1.jpg]

And some stuff from imagination, last one is one of these art trading cards, watercolours

[Image: lio_mech_lines_by_cyprinusfox-d7s253h.jpg]

[Image: lio_mech_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20tu.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_by_cyprinusfox-d7s20tp.jpg]

[wayofbrush is my art tumblr where I dump most of my stupid sketches and stuff and the occasional animu and mango fanart]

So, see you hopefully soon with more stuff and more regular updates again <3

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
Glad to see you're keeping yourself up, art depressions can be really rough. It's true what you said about being bombarded with so many good artists and art around, it's tough as well when you try a new personal piece and you think to yourself "I've seen so many pieces with this same composition/pose", sometimes you just have to go through with it.
For ages I thought I should be going more of a realism route because, well, everyone likes 'em and they are very popular but I wasn't enjoying what I was doing, felt I was being forced to do it.
I think you have a distinct enough style and your watercolors seem very good. Keep doing what you really like.

Wow, I guess I just wrote a bunch of rants just to say I agree with you and have been there as well.

Mannnn really nice watercolours dude. I think that you are completely right sticking to your guns and working in water colour. My advice would be to do your 'exercises' digitally. Like anatomy studies, colour, composition studies etc. But do all of your personal work and finished pieces in water colour. Not only does this give you a good division between what is study and what is for you, but it means that you can leverage to good of digital (quick, and doesnt cost money to do repetitive mistakes) and the enjoyment you get out of traditional work.

Ah man those watercolor figures are super impressive! Watercolor is a medium I've never had the patience to master, it just really doesn't agree with me. Doing it for a live model boggles my mind, but you do it so well. Good luck keeping your motivation up, I know that can be rough. Can't wait to see more from you!

Have you ever considered meditation? It will help with your mind mud sorting issue. The problem is you're thinking too much. You cant solve problems of the mind with more thinking. Try to observe your own thinking patterns and disidentify with the thoughts. You are not your thoughts and emotions. You are the observer of your thoughts and emotions. Observe without judgment because judgments are thoughts. Let your attention stay in the present moment without wondering off into mind mud as you put it. This is all meditation is. No chanting "Ooohmmm" or sitting in weird positions.

These watercolours are really clear and controlled - the lines look fluid and smooth, and the shape control is pleasingly economic. The lighting on the ACEO looks really nice as well, good as a colour choice and it is a bit more interesting to have a clear time of day I think.

I definitely agree with getting back to mediums you like for a creative boost - it is good practise, and the skills you get in watercolour will transfer over to digital to a degree too.

I'm not saying this as a pro or anything, but from looking at what studios seem to want, and listening to interviews/lectures, this is what I have found. When it comes to concept art for games and film, the industry is indeed pretty much digital. It is mainly for the sake of speed and workflow. Animated films sometimes seem to have occasional exceptions though, since it is highly variable in style.

But other areas are much more flexible - tonnes of illustrators work traditionally still (I still see card art, book covers, etc. being done in oils, and illustration in watercolours is still around all over the place), or blend traditional with digital. So you can totally get work with watercolours, though perhaps not too easily in concept work. I won't say never though, if the style of a project called for it, for instance. So maybe consider going the route of what you enjoy, and finding the jobs to fit it? There could be some kind of niche you like.

Oh, and also, one thing I suggest is to try experimenting with blending watercolours with digital - if you could get a workflow for it, you would basically have the best of both worlds. I sort of agree with continuing with digital, because you might come to like it as it becomes easier for you. (I used to loathe drawing faces, and had to knuckle down on it - now they're one of my favourite things to draw.) Good luck, and keep painting! Give yourself some time to do the arty things you love most.

rafa - man, thanks for your kind words! It's always very consoling to hear that you're not alone and others feel the same. I guess sticking to what one really likes is the almost the only way to find your truly unique way, I mean, if not you're always only a mix of what you think what others want to see and stuff

Jaik - thanks so much!! I really like your idea of separating my stuff like this, I just have to see how it works out. Right now I just have a small laptop and the size of the my monitor is driving me insane (I guess digital would also be more fun if I had better equipment in terms of PC) I'll just see how everything goes (:

Zombiechinchilla - thanks, glad you like them! It's tricky to use them at life drawing but for me it's more fun than anything else somehow.

Hypnagogic_Haze - yes, I have! I actually practice meditation already. I'm afraid tho that recently I haven't been very consistent with it, ironically, the times where I'm busy and where I need it the most I just can't find the time to squeeze those ten minutes in. There was a time where I used to meditate daily and it had such a positive impact on my life, and I was really kind of mad at myself that I didn't keep this habit up. Many thanks for bringing this up again because it severely strengthens my resolve to get into my daily habit again! (:

Clockodile - Thanks so much! I'm glad you like the lightning on the ACEO because I desperately wanted to try out a different lightning situation, glad it somehow worked so well already.

Thank you also for sharing your thoughts and views on the topic as well. I agree with you on everything. I guess sometimes I'm still a bit unsure on what field I'd like to work in, I mean, there are a ton of things I'd like to try out, but yeah. Originally I wanted to be a comic artist, but the fact that I rarely draw pages but rather illustrations might be speaking for itself. I'll just focus on improving and I'm sure that some of my other questions will become more clear.

Okay guys, I already feel so stupid for whining like that, and now I'm so done with it. I don't want to be known as the ranting artist here.

Just gonna dump what I did today. Ironically, as if life wanted to tease me and my resolve to work more traditionally, Clip Studio Paint was on sale the weekend and I couldn't resist the temptation.

My first digital gestures....

[Image: pc_gestures_001_by_cyprinusfox-d7si820.jpg]

Hampton Studies, digital

[Image: pc_hamtpon_01_by_cyprinusfox-d7si81u.jpg]

[Image: pc_hamtpon_02_by_cyprinusfox-d7si81q.jpg]

The left one is from ref, the others from imagination. I think I will do a lot more of these along the hampton studies in order to truly understand the construction...I think I have the basics of the basics down, but the fine tuning needs so much work

[Image: pc_scribbles_01_by_cyprinusfox-d7si81j.jpg]

And two watercolour portrait, left is from reference, right from imagination.

[Image: watercolour_heads_by_cyprinusfox-d7si810.jpg]

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
great stuff man! I really dig the watercolors, i find them really hard to control and you're obtaining nice results out of them for sure.

Your lines are getting better and better, and same goes for structure, those studies are paying off !

There's not much to say critique-wise, because it's pretty obvious that you're well aware on what needs improvement and you're certainly working towards getting it to the next level. So, great stuff man, and awesome progress ;)

SB
You're on the right track Cyprinus, that is all I can say. :D

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
oh man, how I envy how great your watercolors are.. you are definitely going in the right direction man, the construction of those forms looks awesome!

GUYS WHERE HAS AUGUST GONE. It was a crazy month somehow. It wasn't just all business though, I was able to get some days off and relax (much needed). I also bought new artist quality watercolours! I missed this place so much and all your delicious, inspiring sketchbooks, but what can you do, life is like that sometimes, somehow.

@Suira: Thanks so much! Thank you for stopping by my sketchbook as well. I need to stop by yours as soon as possible, I'm sure you have the most awesome stuff in your sb now! *_*

@egbu: Thanks so much! I certainly hope so, time will tell if yes!

@RenatoCaria: Glad you like my watercolours! I really love working with them. Thanks for stopping by!

So it's only a little update today, but better than nothing.

[Image: limit_001_1718_by_cyprinusfox-d7yj963.jpg]

Hampton stuff

[Image: limit_001_2223_by_cyprinusfox-d7yj95z.jpg]

Left studies, right imagination

[Image: tblock_01_01_by_cyprinusfox-d7yj95x.jpg]

From imagination, don't ask

[Image: aceos_by_cyprinusfox-d7yj956.jpg]

And some sketchcards I've done, with my new watercolours! They are so brilliant I need sunglasses while painting Cool

There's a con coming up and I need to prepare stuff, I also went back to working on my comic. I'm inking the prolouge right now....so much to do, yeah! Who needs sleep anyway....

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
Beautiful line work as always and love the new watercolors. About the meditation thing. You dont have to commit to sitting down solely to meditate each day. I like Eckhart Tolle's approach where you can take a few seconds throughout the day to focus on the body. That way you can break up those long blocks of time where you're lost in thought. For example every time you wash your hands focus on the sensation in your hands. Or every time you walk from one room to the next focus on the sensation of walking. You can try to stay present while you go shopping somewhere with brief moments of thought to decide what to buy. Over time the periods of present state awareness grow and the periods of repetitive thought patterns shrink.

Hey welcome back! September is almost gone already!
Always digging your faces as lines too, keep it up!

No one needs sleep, that's who!!!!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
Nice to see you posting man. Those watercolors are great specially the one with the orange background! Line is also improving :) Only crit: regarding the oblique studies, they don't just go by the sides of the torso, they wrap both in the front and the back, still you're doing the right thing, but try to remember that, it'll save you some trouble in the future, trust me, it happened to me too xD

SB
Has been a while since I commented here. Always happy to see you posting something new though, your work has so much personality and I really enjoy looking at it :) Sketches as well as your always-lovely watercolors! Even makes me want to get out my old and dusty watercolors again...

Good to see you're motivated and all though :) Will be be able to see/purchase your comic somewhere?

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
@Hypnagogic_Haze: Thank you so much! I hope I can soon work with the new colours on a big illustration. Thank you for the advice concerning meditation. I will try to include those little moments of awareness and mindfulness into my day!

@rafa: Haha yes, omg. Time runs so fast these days, I don't know what's happening. Thanks so much, so glad to hear that!

@Egbu: EXACTLY! Although, joke aside, I really think sleep is important. Recently I also heard that no matter what, you can't catch up on lost sleep...so nowadays I think twice if I want to pull an all-nighter or not...

@Suira: Thanks!! Glad you like those watercolours and thanks so much for the heads-up concerning the obliques!! I'm still so oblivious concerning must of muscles and anatomy, so every pointer and hint is very much appreciated!

@Lyraina: Thank you so much for your kind works, I'm really happy you think that my work has personality, that's a big compliment! And I'd love to see you do some watercolours, I'm always happy if I can "infect" someone with one of my favourite mediums XD About the comic, Although I have the plan to eventually print it once I got something together, that will probably still take a century. I'm going to post it online though, but haven't decided on a site yet. I'm probably going to leave a link here once I do though. Thank you for the interest! <3

So here's some stuff I did over the last days, it's not much and it's all over the place, but I'm going to post it anyway. I miss working with colour and I already feel the urge to get my tablet out again. I apologize for the bad quality of some of the pics, I only took photos of the life drawing pictures and for the other stuff, my sketch pad is too big for the scanner.....

[Image: lifedrawing_37_2014_01_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbpj.jpg]

[Image: lifedrawing_37_2014_02_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbp8.jpg]

Lifedrawing was a bit difficult this week because it was the first time after summer break. I couldn't go to the other place because when I had time to go there they were on holiday break there orz So I feel a bit rusty...

[Image: tbook_02_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbo7.jpg]

Was inspired by other daggers and wanted to try some hel-looks.

[Image: practice_chairs_01_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbop.jpg]

Chairs. For...errr...the visual library.

[Image: tbook_04_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbn0.jpg]

I wanted to deepen my knowledge of the face with face planes, because I really need to understand it better to create more diverse characters and also for better shading etc etc...however, my brain was on overload very quickly with this. I feel like I have a very hard time remembering everything. Gotta repeat more until it sinks in.

[Image: tbook_03_by_cyprinusfox-d7yvbo3.jpg]

And some stuff from imagination!

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
Just keep observing and don't make it so serious. You keep drawing and drawing. One day you'll notice something about the way someone's face is lit, and go "Oh hey! I like that. I'm going to sketch that." either as is, or only sketch the lighting effect but the face is one of your character. And then later on you'll remember that, 'cos you remembered it with your hands and not just your thoughts.

Focus.
@meat Thank you so much for your advice. I think the most important for me is "don't make it so serious"....

Wow. I don't even know what happened. Life. Aside from work, con prep and stuff I've read a lot and I'm still reading a lot, about different things. Mainly to understand myself better. I already realized some stuff and I think, or rather hope, that I'll be able to overcome certain things that very obviously keep me from progressing.

Anyway, here's some stuff from the last days. I've done more, also still going to life drawing every week. Just no time to scan, especially life drawing, because those are A3. Maybe I'll scan some if I have more time! (:

At first, some studies

[Image: biro_anatomy_02_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9l1.jpg]

[Image: biro_anatomy_01_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9l4.jpg]

Then. It's really, really, really...time to tackle my weak spots. Like Backgrounds. I think I will produce a lot of shit in this area for a long time now, which will hopefully get better then. I don't want to run away from it anymore.
I started small with some free hand stuffs

[Image: sketchblog_houses_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9kq.jpg]

from imagination. I somehow really liked this.

[Image: robo_boy_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9kv.jpg]

Stuff I finished for the convention

Copic Marker

[Image: octokiss_tumblr_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9hk.jpg]

Digital

[Image: tumblr_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9gr.jpg]

AND a digital illustration I started WAY BACK. Still in Wip stage. I somehow really want to finish this though (I say that a lot and then everything rots away on my hard drive) so I'd appreciate every tiny bit of feedback.

[Image: grungymil3_by_cyprinusfox-d84s9ho.jpg]

I noticed though that my PC is really getting too old to work on big digital illustrations. Hopefully I can invest in a new one, better sooner than later.

I need to draw more of my other characters. And I need to get out of my comfort colour scheme.

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook