Artloader - Sketchbook
Looks great, really enjoy how you handled the faces as well as your implementation of light, very dynamic which suites the subject matter. I agree with what you stated regarding the drapery, could definitely have benefited from some research work to apply on the folds/clothing, would have improved the image a bit. Still a strong effort otherwise, great work!

Strong personality in this last piece!
If you have the lines on a separate layer, I would suggest fading some of them, especially on the chair.

woah, your comicbook panels in acrylics are awesome! I saw on the first glance, the topic doesnt really interested me, because of personal taste, but only because of the artwork, it made me curious anyways!

also I dig your storyboards with the sword-shooting-crossbow (if i interprete this right)!
@Pubic Enemy:  Thanks man - glad the 3D construction came through - I agree about alternating between reference and invention.

@Cgmythology:  Thanks for dropping by dude.

@Leo Ki:  The people I did this for wanted a comic-book feel to it so I wanted the lines to show through - but I agree that the chair lines were probably too strong.

@Graphicnovelist:  Yeah I like to paint traditionally as well as digitally.  You read the sword-shooting-crossbow right - although I call it a "swordlauncher" :).

Been a bit busy with one thing or another recently but I saw that Gimp 2.10 is out so I thought I'd give it a spin for old times sake as it was my first digital art tool - took me ages to work out how to use the smudge tool again.

Then I tweaked the brush dynamics to give a more natural stroke:

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Another rabbit.

Getting used to rendering a bit more in Gimp 2.10.

Blocking in and then losing edges with the smudge tool.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

If you want to really practice edge lose the linework atleast in the end else how are we suppose to tell?

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
@Darktiste:  Good point man :).  I guess I'd gotten into the habit of leaving the linework in recently as some friends of mine have asked me to do a comic-book style series of artworks for them.

I've been experimenting with charcoal effects in Gimp 2.10 and messing about with brushes in there.  Also experimenting with textures.

Not really sure of what I'm doing with the textures - I want to have a contrast between realistic and abstract like Yizheng Ke or Wangjie Li or Toko Suzuki.

CD Sketchbook

Great stuff keep going.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
recent work looks great! you've definitely out levelled me in portrait painting! The textures look nice, they add this level of sophistication - I think you want to treat them like any compositional element, purposeful areas of high detail/texture vs the looser softer parts in between to frame the subject, arranged in a way that leads the eye back to the face and all that. In your portrait if you had that wavy line of texture that leads off the page top right, instead looping down and back into the image or something it could work with the face more. The stuff in the hair, back of the neck, around the nose works great tho!

if you want some good texture brushes, download clip studio, then get Frenden's gumroad brush pack, its insanity

Hundreds of custom made oil, charcoal, pens, etc. from all genres made by a brilliant cartoonist who is obsessed with mark making and inking.

It'll run you 65$ for all that, but its worth it :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Those rabbits look great! You did a great job with construction as well as likeness, keep it up!