Nick Waldinger's Sketchbook
Next assignment, doing high-key & low-key value studies and learning to compress values. First one is high-key, will be doing a low-key one now.

Attached Files Image(s)

2 studies in one day, how about that :P Low-key value study this time, same subject as earlier. Struggled a bit more with this one and don't think the highlights pop out enough, so I'll watch for that during my next few.

Attached Files Image(s)

Starting off the week with another high-key value study. Could keep going with this one but I only want to spend a day on each of these, trying to learn to let go a bit more.

Attached Files Image(s)

You know what they say. Another day, another sub-par-low-key-value-study.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hmm interesting exercise! Is that the Mindcandyman schoolism guy? He's a legend...

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
@Fedodika - Yes it is! He's actually teaching the Schoolism class I'm taking, really great teacher and a great artist of course.

Today's high-key value study, this one applies to a personal piece I'm working on at the moment. Trying to get better with metals.

Attached Files Image(s)

hey!
Nice assignments! I think you're doing great on your studies, with practicing construction and the planes of the faces.
Keep it up!
you're really good at rendering, good job on all those studies. Would love to see how you'll apply them to the personal piece, it's the hardest part of this all haha. more!

@VoodoMama - Thanks! Really focusing on getting better with portraits in this class so hopefully I improve on 'em.

@vennsomn - Thank you! I definitely have trouble applying it to my imaginative work, but I'm trying to gear these studies towards a personal piece I'm working on at the moment to help with that. Hopefully I'll finish it soon so I can post it.

Today's low-key value study, starting to see some patterns in these. Now it's time to do some personal work over the weekend.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, I can see that you've been working in a smart way on those assignments and did well, but I don't really get the point of low-key value studies and how to do them (never heard of them before). Still, I guess they must be very helpful.
Could you write the real name of that Mindcandyman guy from Schoolism or the name of the course?
Hope to see your personal work soon :)

@neopatogen - Thanks! The point of them is to limit your values but still get the relationships correct. It's not about getting a one-to-one copy of the reference, but to learn to manipulate the values to see how they relate to one another.

Mindcandyman's real name is Jon Hardesty, and his course is titled "Essentials of Realism". Good stuff!

Took slightly longer on this one, but I feel like I'm learning a lot about reflective surfaces. High-key value study.

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaaaand the low-key parter of yesterday's study. 2 more until I move on to the next assignment.

Attached Files Image(s)

Final high key study, a bit more ambitious with this subject.

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaaaaaaaand finally the last one, low-key to end. Will start on the next assignment tonight.

Attached Files Image(s)

Learning about edges, gonna take a bit more time with this assignment to really nail it down.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reeeeeeally took my time on this one :P Pretty happy with it though, but still a few things that could be fixed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Doing a little clean-up to some personal pieces, will probably be posting a few of these within the next few days.

[Image: the_cardboard_king_by_epoch_owen-dauc1a0.jpg]

Damn, looks like you're doing work with those schoolism courses. Really convincing cloth.

Can't wait to see when colour comes into play. -thumbs up-
Nice studies man! that cardboard king is really cool too, the top portion is really well rendered

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲