Artloader - Sketchbook
OK I have set myself into "knuckle-down mode".  I'm knuckling down to head construction and am gonna knock out 100 of the things in the next few days (don't worry I won't post them all!)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Face sketch 31:

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

More head sketching today:

CD Sketchbook

Another female face study - Arwen.

CD Sketchbook

Cool sketchbook, on the face study look out for values once in a while make a black layer and put it on saturation mode and check if the values are reading, and if the photo reference has bad lighting try to change it, it can be a challenging but fun thing to practice.Keep it up

Thanks Hobbit, yeah I probably should have spent more time checking the values on that last study - when I zoom out - she looks funny!

Starting some male figure work now.  Here's some from Loomis:

CD Sketchbook

Keep studying loomis don't forget to build the mannequin thing before laying in the forms!

[Image: loomis-skeleton-figure.png]

Thanks Hobbit, I am indeed pressing on with Loomis.  Started off with a few mannequins.  Also mixed in some stuff from Stephen Rogers Peck.

CD Sketchbook

Your doing all the right things, keep up the studies.
I noticed that on your study of Arwen and the last portrait from imagination (elf) have the features in the right placement but could use an extra push in their value range.
Yeah I see what you mean now that you pointed that out, thanks Ben!  I've always been a bit tentative with my dark values, I'll try to be aware of that and push them a bit darker and keep an eye on the highlights too.

I've been trying to get a feel for painting anatomy by studying a torso, I should probably push the accents a bit darker I think.

CD Sketchbook

Got a bit side-tracked on my comic book project but I've been re-inspired by the awesome sketchbooks on here so I'm determined not to let the art study slide.

Some more male torso studies.

CD Sketchbook

Hi Artloader,

Good job on the anatomy in post #30

For the latest they're very monochrome. The pink hue makes sense as the skin is transparent and we see the muscle but on its own it appears quite plastic. There are other colours to consider, like the blue of veins in areas like the wrists and crook of the elbow. A more yellow hue for areas where skin covers more cartilage and bone than muscle, like the nose and ears, fingertips etc. Always good to take a study photo and crank up the saturation amd see just how many colours are in the skin.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Thanks for dropping by RottenPocket :).

I hadn't heard of the cranking up the saturation trick before - many thanks!  I tried this out just now - saw more yellows and oranges than before:

CD Sketchbook

Trying a sketch from imagination:

CD Sketchbook

Got slowed down by a nasty cold but I've nearly recovered now.  Here's the line sketch after a bit of painting.

CD Sketchbook

You're making really nice progress Artloader! I like what you're doing, just keep it up! Good stuff.

Hey thanks Miracoly :).

Switching over to female studies now.  I'm re-designing one of my characters.

CD Sketchbook

I'm re-designing one of my comic book characters, here's a practice sketch:

CD Sketchbook

More character design.  I found that practicing this particular pose a few times really helped.

Hmmm I think the right foot is a bit too small?

CD Sketchbook

Managed to get a bit more done on this today.

Blocked in the colours and faded out the contour lines a little.

CD Sketchbook