Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To day subject is cloud.
maybe try a longer study of a complete landscape?
(06-28-2018, 11:00 PM)Fedodika Wrote: [ -> ]maybe try a longer study of a complete landscape?

I am working toward that goal i was just experiementing with quick way and testing on thumbnail.I will be working toward doing 2 tone than 3 to 4 tone.As you can probably see i have establish an idea of my direction.I have zero notion of color theory so there step to be working on before going for longer study i think.Problem with study is that you have to be actively disecting or else it just copying emulating.I prefer to understand the theory and try to directly apply into thumbnail to slowly work toward more complex piece.Not working toward being a illustrator but a concept artist.I still need to adjust my notion of what is concept art and what is not.
To day subject is grass
2 value study with pen from some dbz screenshot
and 3 value study with grey marker from world of warcraft
A rather silly exercise often overlook but i still took the time to give it a try.Quick Study on the concept of overlap.
Study on the concept of the rule of third.
Study on the concept of contrasting shape.
Study on Shape language.
Study on the principle of balance.This one was surprisingly challenging.I learned that the bigger and darker a shape is the more visual weight it carry.It seem you can't prevent the eye from jumping onto the biggest and darkest form so one need to be particularly careful about that.I also learned that flat shape can also lead the eye into certain direction.
A Recap of the many principle learned so far.
Study on Atmospheric Perspective.
somma these are getting tight!
Studies are looking crisp Thumbs_up
Fedolika&Prabu:Thank.It encouraging to have a feedback that i am in the right direction
Been cleaning folder to make space on my computer for new stuff since my computer is filling up at an alarming rate.I been also playing around photoshop to stop myself from click on every menu just to do simple action i could do with a shortcut.Changed a few shortcut to ease the process of remembering them.Been searching for useful shortcut people generally use.I also task myself to start building myself a course to self taught myself on gesture that will eventually lead me into anatomy a subject so vast it might kill me.But before i dive into gesture and anatomy i will be experimenting with environnement with more than two tone this time.
Been playing with mask,selection and warping tool to try to get more efficient with them so it not such a weakness when i start needing to us them seriously.Here what i did i applied a new painting job to that truck.Here the before and after.
Practice focused on vegetation.For a first attemp in color i think it pretty sucessful not gonna lie it flat loooking in some area i will work that issue in the future.
Don't worry about my color i just didn't bother doing it in grayscale it would have been so sad since green is probably my favorite color and i can't resist using it.
I always like seeing people studying, almost more than finished pieces  Stupid

I don't know much about landscapes but yeah.... You really should do the entire landscapes so instead of just drawing lots of clouds and grass you will figure out how they fit into the scene. how the grass will be different colors in different places. Once you start to figure out how the different parts of the scene fit together you start to get a sense of the character of the piece if that makes any sense.

I could only see that being beneficial anyway Wink
(07-18-2018, 10:37 PM)IrishWhiskey Wrote: [ -> ]I always like seeing people studying, almost more than finished pieces  Stupid

I don't know much about landscapes but yeah.... You really should do the entire landscapes so instead of just drawing lots of clouds and grass you will figure out how they fit into the scene. how the grass will be different colors in different places. Once you start to figure out how the different parts of the scene fit together you start to get a sense of the character of the piece if that makes any sense.

I could only see that being beneficial anyway Wink

My approch is to slowly sneak on a subject and than mix it in afterward.There really two fundamental that get in the way most of the time when you try to study it perspective and light.I will be drawing more complete scene in a near future.What you saw is just how to generate and think about the principle of design in a 2 tone approch.